• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another factor is that Wild could be anticipating increased crowds now that they'll be able to reopen some of their lodge and indoor dining spaces? Could be that they've been thinking that a certain percentage of their potential customers have been choosing to go to the other side of the river where restaurants are open, and now that restaurants are about to reopen in MN, they're expecting an increase as that won't be a factor?

Could be, but I think they've already likely been quite busy. We're heard and seen how busy Troll, Afton, Buck and Welch are already. I'm sure Wild is no different. It's likely just a crowd control thing they've been forced to do.

I see how Troll is completely sold out for today, and will be sold out for tomorrow (even night skiing) very shortly. I have no doubt that Sunday will sell out as well. I don't see any of those days sold out at Wild yet...

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hit Nordic this morning for 1.5 hours with my daughter. By the time we left parking lots basically full. People are SKIING AND SNOWBOARDING!

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
MLK is next weekend. I can't imagine skiing at any of these places. Warm weather and massive crowds. I'm very happy for the hills.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wilmot was crowded that but made the most of it, half day of skiing. Slopes are so short and so even with crowds can wait for your turn to ski down and so wasn't like people were too bunched on the runs.

Good to get out, conditions were solid and weather was perfect.

Bring on real winter next week. Finally.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Wilmot was crowded that but made the most of it, half day of skiing. Slopes are so short and so even with crowds can wait for your turn to ski down and so wasn't like people were too bunched on the runs.

Good to get out, conditions were solid and weather was perfect.

Bring on real winter next week. Finally.
Did you move to Canada? :huh:

Central Wis forecast. Looks more like waterski weather.
1610232821857.png

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Heard there was a pretty serious lift incident yesterday at Indianhead. I have reached out to both the ski area and State of Michigan for more information.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Heard there was a pretty serious lift incident yesterday at Indianhead. I have reached out to both the ski area and State of Michigan for more information.
Like someone fell or something on lift broke? Keep us posted.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, a chair fell off. 2 people were hurt. That is all I can say.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Damn just rode that lift in past ten days. Wish all four of the resorts in that region could magically replace a bunch of old lifts with new ones with safety bars. Pipe dream. I guess there's a fifth resort there in Mt Zion but I'm referring to the larger ones.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also, I wonder if it had to do with people on it purposely swinging or swaying lift chair. That scares the shit out of me when it's rocking side to side and hitting the poles and stuff.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I heard major, I was thinking rollback, deropment or some other multiple-chair incident so thankfully it was just one chair. The two people impacted could have major injury or even death so hoping for good news on their condition.

It will be interesting to learn what exactly failed. Riblet lifts built more lifts in N America than any other manufacturer and has a strong safety record. This isn't just a midwest thing too: major ski areas like Breckenridge have many Riblet lifts that re about 50 years old. I actually really enjoy riding older lifts, including many at Indianhead.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Damn just rode that lift in past ten days. Wish all four of the resorts in that region could magically replace a bunch of old lifts with new ones with safety bars. Pipe dream. I guess there's a fifth resort there in Mt Zion but I'm referring to the larger ones.

Agreed, but most of them simply can't afford to do so. I've heard when Welch Village put in two new lifts 'recently' (in the last 10 years) it nearly bankrupt them. It's just very hard to recoup the insanely high costs for a new lift for most local resorts.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
The warmer weather that's supposed to hit MN this weekend combined with restaurants re-opening is perfect timing for the ski areas. The ski areas in Minnesota, or any ski area for that matter, rely on the revenue from food and beverage sales and this year that figure is needed to help offset what I assume are declining ticket sales. The areas I've been to, Welch and Buck, have been crowded but most of that congestion appears to be related to low capacity lift rides and not a surge in ticket sales....parking lots not full help to support this superficial thesis.

Skied Welch in the am both days this weekend and snow was OK. Grooming can be described as "meh" to disappointing as death cookies were ubiquitous. Per the norm for 2020/21 season, we left at noon because the lines on the front side were horrendous. The ski team was there and because on the two main quads continue to operate at a minimum capacity the wait was bad. The back side lift lines by Mad Jaxx were pretty fluid and the "back bowl" area was empty.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also, I wonder if it had to do with people on it purposely swinging or swaying lift chair. That scares the shit out of me when it's rocking side to side and hitting the poles and stuff.

Based on Lift Blog's entry on his blog (awesome website by the way) there was a comment in that thread that gave an eye witness depiction. Sounds like the chair was swaying a lot and nailed the metal ring that surrounds the pole and rope gears on top.

A few times I've watched my chair sway and hit those metal rings or halos or whatever and it scares the crap out of me. Like you can almost hit it perpendicular and require the force to push the chair pole back out opposite of the direction the cable is moving. Sux. Hopefully the two are okay.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The warmer weather that's supposed to hit MN this weekend combined with restaurants re-opening is perfect timing for the ski areas. The ski areas in Minnesota, or any ski area for that matter, rely on the revenue from food and beverage sales and this year that figure is needed to help offset what I assume are declining ticket sales. The areas I've been to, Welch and Buck, have been crowded but most of that congestion appears to be related to low capacity lift rides and not a surge in ticket sales....parking lots not full help to support this superficial thesis.

Skied Welch in the am both days this weekend and snow was OK. Grooming can be described as "meh" to disappointing as death cookies were ubiquitous. Per the norm for 2020/21 season, we left at noon because the lines on the front side were horrendous. The ski team was there and because on the two main quads continue to operate at a minimum capacity the wait was bad. The back side lift lines by Mad Jaxx were pretty fluid and the "back bowl" area was empty.

This coming weekend is sure to sell out at every hill Friday through Monday. Plus as you mentioned they'll get that dining revenue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor