• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Upper Midwest 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Spirit this afternoon. Snow was great, temps at 35F. Grooming was great, and low number of people was keeping it in great shape.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied last night and the snow was hard. Also forgot my helmet. That was fun.

We finally have snow coming today - Sat in Wis. and U.P. Time will tell how much.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied last night and the snow was hard. Also forgot my helmet. That was fun.

We finally have snow coming today - Sat in Wis. and U.P. Time will tell how much.

Novak Weather is saying 4-6" for pretty much the whole region with just south of the cities potentially getting 6-8". It should be a good storm for just about everyone.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been so long since I've skied without a helmet... must be weird - was it?
It was. Glad it was 35 degrees. At least I had a patrol cap on. When it wouldn't fly off my head.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Novak Weather is saying 4-6" for pretty much the whole region with just south of the cities potentially getting 6-8". It should be a good storm for just about everyone.

Hopefully so and hope it stays cold and less freezing rain!

Poor UP MI. A few days ago looked like it'd be a week straight of lots of snow and BoHo said they'll be opening next weekend because of it.

This storm may barely touch them now after being downgraded and while snow potential exists for coming days nothing like models were showing earlier in week.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hopefully so and hope it stays cold and less freezing rain!

Poor UP MI. A few days ago looked like it'd be a week straight of lots of snow and BoHo said they'll be opening next weekend because of it.

This storm may barely touch them now after being downgraded and while snow potential exists for coming days nothing like models were showing earlier in week.

Yeah we were looking at two trips to MI this winter and now I'm not sure if we'll get up there at all...

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
We raced at Troll on Tuesday. We arrived at 6:35 and the parking lot was full out to the highway. There were spots left, but I had never in my life seen it that busy on a weekday. Lift lines stretched 100+' in both directions from the main quad in front of the lodge. Once the HS Slalom teams left at 7:30 things started to get better however.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
My daughters race--and said that Wednesday night felt like skiing on granular salt. Some real flakes will be good.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have ice. :( Hills already have that.

Correction, slush. Not cold enough for ice yet.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah this storm is a total bust.... 2" of wet slush in MN and the first inch has already melted.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Zero cold air this whole winter, well maybe apart from like 2 days. I guess on the bright side the lakes still have enough warmth in them that if Polar/Canadian air ever decides to make its way down the LES belts will be prime. Hoping to get back to the UP at the end of Feb.

Looking around it seems like this whole country is underwhelming with winter apart from the PNW. Frustrating since last year was such a bad snow year too at least apart from the northwoods.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Not a good day for Welch. Per the norm skied from 9:15-noon and left. Snow was meh, grooming was meh...not sure if the girls and I should've stayed home. Certainly the temps have worked against the ski areas in MN this year but IMHO Welch's inconsistent grooming is not an excuse. The grooming on Chicken, Twister and Bakke was very marginal. As expected for a holiday weekend capacity grew and the front side was a mess. Still going tomorrow and Monday.....

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
MLK weekend, rain, I guess I'll watch the Packer game.

If Welch doesn't groom at the coldest temp, it can be hard to groom good.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied last weekend at Nubs and it was excellent

Skied during the week again at Mt. Brighton.

Its great to be on skis and skiing this winter all considering. Man, we need some snow and colder temps.
The freeze-thaw cycles for January this year are unreal.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I was on the hill yesterday for about 5 hours. First 2 hours were great and then the lines. :) Considering the rain, the hill was pretty good.
Skied a pair of Fischer Motives for the first time. I can see why people like them. Daughter wants to ski them now.

If the hills can get just 10% of the new skiers this year to continue next year, that would be great!

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am guessing that something like the 100 ->10 ->1 rule applies with what we are seeing with all the "never-evers" or "causal, I have skied a few times before" people coming out of the woodwork.
For every 100 of these types that tried it again this year, maybe 10 will actually make it a routine to go skiing every winter, and maybe 1 out of them will become a hardcore skier in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online