• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

US News and World Report ranks US top 21 ski resorts--lots of surprises

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Boy, was I surprised to learn that Beech Mountain is one of the top 21 resorts in the US. Why have I been driving past it all these years to ski at Sugar instead? More vertical, more challenging terrain, much better lift infrastructure--and I don't have to take that 12-mile spur road.
US News lists Wisconsin and Michigan with some of the country's top resorts, and there were many, many notable exclusions.

Mod. Note, link added...
LOL So glad that I have forgone Whistler this year due to Covid and decided to stay home as yesterday I actually got to ski at Beech! Such stunning views.
IMG_4149.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow. Just had another look at that list. I know it claims it was written but someone in NYC, but isn't it suspicious that the first resort on the list is Stowe? Ghost writer maybe, getting the word out in Stowe, and we really should do an annual gathering there.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I skied the Snoqualmie Pass Ski areas as a kid. They are close to Seattle. Not really much there. I do not know how they made this list either.
Other than Alpental, which is pretty small but mighty, The Summit at Snoqualmie is more like some slightly inclined cowfields than a mountain. It's inclusion on this list proves to me that whoever made it up had no idea what they were doing.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Other than Alpental, which is pretty small but mighty, The Summit at Snoqualmie is more like some slightly inclined cowfields than a mountain. It's inclusion on this list proves to me that whoever made it up had no idea what they were doing.
What can be said for these areas is that they are close to Seattle with major freeway access. They are also well lit for night skiing. I would say pretty good for families even with a low vertical drop. More intermediate skiing for beginning skiers. I had a lot of fun skiing there as a kid but now have my big boy skis.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow. Just had another look at that list. I know it claims it was written but someone in NYC, but isn't it suspicious that the first resort on the list is Stowe? Ghost writer maybe, getting the word out in Stowe, and we really should do an annual gathering there.
There is always an East Coast Gathering, lead by @KevinF which often hits Stowe.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There is always an East Coast Gathering, lead by @KevinF which often hits Stowe.
Hey! That's the New England Gathering... sometimes there's also a Mid-Atlantic one, to represent the "East Coast". All you western people just lump all of us in the east together. :nono: :P :ogbiggrin:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey! That's the New England Gathering... sometimes there's also a Mid-Atlantic one, to represent the "East Coast". All you western people just lump all of us in the east together. :nono: :P :ogbiggrin:
[insert smartassery here] All you Ice Coasters lump all of us westerners together. We have the Colorado Rockies, the Northern Rockies, The Tetons, the Wasatch, the Sierra, the Cascades, the San Juans.....
Sheesh!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, like New Yorkers lump together the rest of the country:

New Yorker Cover From 1976 Accurately Portrays How We View the Rest of the Country
Matt Coneybeare by Matt Coneybeare at 4:26 PM on June 9, 2015
How New Yorkers See The World: View of the World from 9th Avenue
How New Yorkers See The World: View of the World from 9th Avenue
Photo: Saul Steinberg / The New Yorker

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

Well, "always" has been on hold for a bit... last year's event got cancelled and this year's event is not happening (or at least I'm not organizing it). :(

But yes, Stowe has been a regular feature. Next two destinations will certainly be Killington (to make up for the "miss" last year) and Saddleback (to check out the reborn mountain). Stowe in 2024?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have only skied 4 of the 21(Killington, Stowe, Whiteface, & Aspen/Snowmass) and they are top resorts. I will let those that have skied the rest debate the remaining resorts.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This reminds me of college rankings. If you read enough of them every college is in the top 10.