• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

US News and World Report ranks US top 21 ski resorts--lots of surprises

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Boy, was I surprised to learn that Beech Mountain is one of the top 21 resorts in the US. Why have I been driving past it all these years to ski at Sugar instead? More vertical, more challenging terrain, much better lift infrastructure--and I don't have to take that 12-mile spur road.
US News lists Wisconsin and Michigan with some of the country's top resorts, and there were many, many notable exclusions.

Mod. Note, link added...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh boy, another resort ranking.

Looks like they gave each region a certain number of places and being on the list for a region also made the resort among the top 21 in the country. Ignores the fact that a mediocre resort in one region may be a lot better than the best resort in another region.

They also said this:

From massive vertical drops in Colorado to fresh powder in Oregon...

Neither state is tops for the stated category, especially if Canada were counted, which I guess it isn't.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of the most absurd and poorly written lists yet. I am sorry I wasted my time reading it. I guess they wanted to include all regions but their explanations are horrible. For granite peak the mention it as “one of the best in Wisconsin“. So it wasn’t the best in the state but included in the list? They spin the long runout as a great way to enjoy multiple types of runs, lol.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Doing regional choices is a good idea, but think they may have asked somebody who hasn't skied much for names. Snoqualmie Pass, really?
Oh well, Happy Turkey Day all.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the most absurd and poorly written lists yet. I am sorry I wasted my time reading it. I guess they wanted to include all regions but their explanations are horrible. For granite peak the mention it as “one of the best in Wisconsin“. So it wasn’t the best in the state but included in the list? They spin the long runout as a great way to enjoy multiple types of runs, lol.
I guess marketing hype works.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Besides not including any Cali mountains, they really botched the Snoqualmie description. Their statistics obviously include all four areas, however the descriptions refer to "the" mountain and "the" resort.

Oh, and over in Oregon, Mt Bachelor is "surrounded" by Bend (from 20-25 miles away as I recall).

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
The fact that Boyne Mt is on the list tells me that this is nothing more than an advertisement.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
The Boyne story also missed the availability of an indoor water park next to the main lodge.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another note in how worthless this is... I thought it was cool that they included Timberline, WV, given it's rebirth this year. But they still refer to "Timberline Four Seasons Resort", which is no longer the name. Now it's Timberline Mountain. Obviously just pulling old data/info and cobbling together a somewhat random list.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
OMG. This is like when I was writing articles and they wanted me to write about something I didn't know. I at least did a little research, this person must have googled ski resorts while sitting in an office in NYC, and then put down the first 21 resorts that showed on the search to get the article out in time. They are working from home right now due to Covid and can't get out and do actual research. Travelling is probably forbidden.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess these lists give ski forum members something to talk about but let’s face it, giving any cred to some dweeb that lives in a city, skis a couple times a year and is paid to create a ski list is........is just silly!

Lartween

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Actually, Beech Mountain is not the only luxury resort. There are many cool resorts, just not many people know about them. I found out about these places last year. My wife and I had been planning a trip to the mountains for a long time, but we couldn't decide exactly where to go. After a long time of searching, we found a suitable resort on Blue House Skis. We were just amazed by the beauty of nature. My wife couldn't ski, so I bought her an instructor. After three classes, my wife could safely ski.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Why did'nt I have such a brilliant list way back when living stateside? So depressed I wasted my valuable time in other areas than those listed.

Sponsor

Staff online