• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific US vs Europe Skiing Experience (and cost)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I just saw this video and though it was pretty spot on in a lot of points.

My sister took her entire family to Zermatt to ski for 2 weeks this past winter and she also agrees. She was blown away that even with the increase travel cost it was cheaper than coming to Colorado to ski. (Family of 6). They even hired a guide for 2 days and wined and dined.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If you're getting in an airplane, yeah maybe.

Yep, doesnt apply to me. I ski locally and get a season pass. But for most people...

The difference in number of ski areas is astonishing. Did not know it was that big of a number for Europe. Of course to be more accurate ski area acreage should be taken into account but still, the difference is huge.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
If you're getting in an airplane, yeah maybe.
You can always take a sailboat.

Joking aside, a large portion of the mega-pass buyers are destination skiers, meaning they're getting in airplanes anyway. So they're missing out by buying the mega pass and staying within the US.

Granted, skiing in Europe isn't for everyone, regardless of the cost. Some people don't like to deal with a foreign language. Others didn't realize European skiing are groomers-centric...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I should rephrase, if you are going to get in an airplane anyway, yeah the pricing may be much closer than many would expect.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
edit: sorry, I was confused, this is different than the video I saw.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I should rephrase, if you are going to get in an airplane anyway, yeah the pricing may be much closer than many would expect.
Yeah, for one week, from the east coast of the US, Alps could very likely be quite similar in cost, once you factor everything in.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just saw this video and though it was pretty spot on in a lot of points.

My sister took her entire family to Zermatt to ski for 2 weeks this past winter and she also agrees. She was blown away that even with the increase travel cost it was cheaper than coming to Colorado to ski. (Family of 6). They even hired a guide for 2 days and wined and dined.
If it snows in Europe next season, I’d jump at the chance to go! I just renewed my ikon pass last night and there are some amazing European destinations on it.

I dont mind skiing groomers and keeping it “mellow.” The thought of skiing from town to town and eating amazing food in beautiful scenery is enough for me! Can you share more specifics on your sister’s trip? Transport/lodging costs, was there enough snow to keep them entertained!? What types of guiding services did the use - to go off piste or lessons?

Sadly, not a huge surprise thst Zermatt is cheaper than say going to Tahoe. I would much rather pay 30 for a gourmet meal than for frozen pretzel!!! The 30 dollar pretzel is real! It did come with 3 sauces though. Ha ha.

If I were to go, i have my eyes on the Dolomites or France, which I’m sure would be much cheaper than Switzerland and definitely cheaper than staying on mountain at Alta or Snowbird!!! …..Hmmmm, could the next Gathering be in Europe @dbostedo???

k

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pumba If by: “enough snow to keep them entertained” you mean: enough runs open, the answer is simply depends on where one goes. There are some enormous resorts in the Alps (like Trois Vallees), where you can ski several hundred km/mi of pistes.
Or, you can stay in a valley with many small or mid sized resorts, and ski a different resort each day, some of which may or may not be linked on skis.
So, as long as we are talking about groomers, I would have a hard time imagining anyone getting bored, if they plan properly,

It also doesn’t have to be “mellow”: there are many more steep and long groomers in the Alps than in the US. If they are icy, the could be spicy.

And remember, Italy has skiing in the central North, and Western side as well! (Along the border with Switzerland (Cervinia at the Matterhorn, aka Monte Cervino in Italian) and France (Aosta valley borders France: Mt Blanc, aka Monte Bianco in Italian, Trois Vallees, and south), not just the Dolomites

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pumba , I forgot to mention, that when I looked in the past, the Ikon resort deals in Europe were not super useful. They all required booking lodging through them. When you consider the low cost of lift tickets in Europe in general, and the fact that there are several hotels that offer free lift tickets with your stay, it really was not much of added value.

Maybe it’s changed now, but read the fine print.

James

Out There
Instructor
There can be much cheaper places to stay. Hostels. You just have to be careful it’s not a magnet for drunken Brits. I stayed in Chamonix for €45/night. But not everyone could deal with bathroom down the hall.

Chamonix may be unusual in that it’s not really in the mountains, it’s in the valley, and it’s also busier in summer.
I forgot to mention, that when I looked in the past, the Ikon resort deals in Europe were not super useful. They all required booking lodging through them.
Does not seem to be the case anymore. Not even blackouts with the full pass.
Epic has been like that, even as of this season in Switzerland at least. You have to book their lodging for each day.

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Hmmmm, could the next Gathering be in Europe @dbostedo???
I tried a few times to set that up, a gathering in Europe. I would be happy to (co)host. The Dolomites are great, I know them well. Especially the Christmas-New Year's holiday is magical there. And that early in the season, Dolomiti Superski is more sure of having most runs open than most other places in the Alps.

So if you guys are serious, let's get this gathering going...

James

Out There
Instructor
So if you guys are serious, let's get this gathering going...
Heh, it’s been talked about over the years. You may actually be on to something for Christmas week for some people. How’s the crowding?

One way to do a trip is to settle on a few areas, then look for a US ski club that’s running a trip there. They have often gotten good deals in the past. That would be novel for a Gathering, a discount.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Most people actually have family Christmas dinners in their own homes and flock to the Dolomites on or after December 26th. The second week (Dec 30 - Jan 6) is more crowded. In Germany and Austria, Jan 6th is a public holiday too, so between Christmas and then they all have time off and go skiing. Not as crowded as the February holidays, though...

So the Christmas week (Dec 23-30) is the best of the two. But if you're there and have time off, stay for a second week (or include some sightseeing).

Most accommodations that you book through regular channels have a Saturday-Saturday scheme during the school holidays. Keep that in mind.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Last Christmas holiday, I went to France with two friends. We drove in one car from the Netherlands, stayed fairly low-budget (no need for luxury for us), ate out for lunch, and cooked ourselves in the apartment most nights, and we skied 13 days in total both in Three Valleys (6 days) and in the Haute Maurienne areas (7 days).

In total (everything included - stay, food, drink, skiing, driving) I spent € 1.454 for the 15-day trip.

James

Out There
Instructor
Not as crowded as the February holidays, though...
Wow this year, Feb 19-26, was crowded. Maybe it was just conditions narrowed where you went. But there’s some places that everyone has to go and it was nuts. I actually downloaded end of day, a few times, to avoid the craziness.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Yeah that's the week all the Catholics have off from work and school. Next season, Feb 10-17 is the week to avoid in Germany, Austria, Dolomites. Feb 17-24, France is to be avoided.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Chamonix may be unusual in that it’s not really in the mountains, it’s in the valley, and it’s also busier in summer.
Most beds in Austria and Italy are in the villages in the valley, purpose-built mountain resorts are very much a French thing, though bigger areas in Austria are beginning to build "chalet villages", which are something of a controversy.

James

Out There
Instructor
If possible, I would recommend flying to a European city, then driving or training. (Driving could be tough if you take skis.)

There’s just a lot to see. Even randomly.

44B3BD78-3081-4B04-A164-E3F3E9D4A014.jpeg
We spotted this castle on the hill driving through France from Paris to Mâcon, and next day headed to Switzerland. Pulled off, went into the village and found a hiking parking lot nearby.
Pretty sure it’s the Château de la Rochepot. Closed to public.

purpose-built mountain resorts are very much a French thing, though bigger areas in Austria are beginning to build "chalet villages", which are something of a controversy.
Maybe a Swiss thing too?

5BF55B6C-31D3-458B-BEE3-979A889BF697.jpeg
Verbier seen from a ski trail at Bruson, across the valley. It’s a two gondola trip plus a chair up Bruson. You can see the zig zag road leading up. The town is not conducive to walking around sight seeing, as it’s on a hill. You tend to go where you need to.

Sponsor

Staff online