• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific US vs Europe Skiing Experience (and cost)

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe a Swiss thing too?
Not too familiar with it. If it is, it's on a different scale. There are outliers in Austria and Italy too, like mini resort complexes above towns or around lift stations, and the odd place you need to take a lift to, but I don't think they're comparable to the French projects. If I'm not mistaken, Verbier is a high-altitude village that has expanded over time, as opposed to a largely purpose-built resort that sprung up due to government policy.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The fantasy project I've been working on very sporadically is to put together a trip for my small cadre of local friends who comprise a mix of alpine and nordic skiers. (Some do only alpine, some only XC, some both.) For a while I was excited about a Dolomites trip, for some of the same reasons as my friend @Pumba. But as I tried to drill deeper into the practicalities I got discouraged. Specifically it boils down to the fact that the best nordic skiing and the best alpine skiing don't generally share trailheads. (The nordic skiers are real skiers, not tourist shufflers.) So the daily transportation logistics get very challenging.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was lucky enough to spend 10% of my life in Europe in 2022, mostly France (St Gervais les Bains, right near that awful Easter avalanche) and some in Denmark. This thread (and @Slim's) is reminding me of the wisdom of that decision.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
The fantasy project I've been working on very sporadically is to put together a trip for my small cadre of local friends who comprise a mix of alpine and nordic skiers. (Some do only alpine, some only XC, some both.) For a while I was excited about a Dolomites trip, for some of the same reasons as my friend @Pumba. But as I tried to drill deeper into the practicalities I got discouraged. Specifically it boils down to the fact that the best nordic skiing and the best alpine skiing don't generally share trailheads. (The nordic skiers are real skiers, not tourist shufflers.) So the daily transportation logistics get very challenging.
I spent a week Nordic (skate), alpine touring, and downhill skiing in Samoëns France a few years ago. It was a blast. Beautiful country and the weather was incredible. It was during a school break so it was a little crowded. We were shocked at French lift line behavior but, after a couple of days, we learned how to throw elbows like the locals. I’d go again.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm in Val Thorens at the moment nursing a gimpy toe legacy of too much Tahoe pow.;)

Another Ski Talker a couple of appartments down on Kendos who I haven't met yet.

We are having all the weathers bar the destructive scouring wind or the Saharan sand depositing Foehn. Another major variable re most Euro resorts - tree line.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Doesn't have to be e.g. Gressoney but yeah XC tends to be in valleys and below treeline while best alpine skiing is in the ...um...alpine. you could base yourself in the Inn valley where there is a big uphill skinning culture to ski groomers.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Europe - the Alps at least - is too diverse to just characterize one country, region, or even ski area as 'purpose-built', 'traditional' or whatever adjective you want to put on it. Like I tried to explain before: try to specify what you're after on a Euro trip, and we can definitely help narrow down options.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another Ski Talker a couple of appartments down on Kendos who I haven't met yet.
LOL. You saw this person walking down the street with a SkiTalk sticker on, but weren't quick enough to intercept?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty soon we’ll have a gathering in Krygyzstan and someone will say, “I was there and saw you guys, but just didn’t meet up.”
Or post a pic of a helmet or skis with a SkiTalk sticker ahead of them in the life line, and ask "Was this one of you guys?"

James

Out There
Instructor
try to specify what you're after on a Euro trip, and we can definitely help narrow down options.
Tony is pretty specific. Italy, with xc and alpine skiers able to stay in same place.

Maybe he’s thinking too much in the closet. Here they just use two cars and go different directions. Maybe over there you have to rent one car.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Tony is pretty specific. Italy, with xc and alpine skiers able to stay in same place.

Maybe he’s thinking too much in the closet. Here they just use two cars and go different directions. Maybe over there you have to rent one car.
I was referring to the comments on purpose-built villages.

About a nice place in Italy where both alpine skiers and XC skiers can do their thing: Tobblach, in the middle of the Hochpustertal. Xc tracks galore and alpine skiing in Kronplatz, Drei Zinnen, Cortina, etc. On the map below, the XC tracks are in bluish-green, the ski areas are clearly identifiable.
Schermafbeelding 2023-04-19 om 17.14.02.png
source: http://www.opensnowmap.org/?zoom=12...#map=7/10.423/46.02&b=snowmap&m=false&h=false

Last edited:

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
the best nordic skiing and the best alpine skiing don't generally share trailheads.
1) Make the alpine skier suffer by coose a lodging away from the lift! Yes it's counter intuitive. But many of such lodging establishments offer shuttle services to the lift. The same shuttle can also transport nordic skiers to a distant trailhead so they can ski different part of the Nordic circuit.

2) Taxi.

3) Train/Buses. (this apples more to Switzerland/Austria)

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
1) Make the alpine skier suffer by coose a lodging away from the lift! Yes it's counter intuitive. But many of such lodging establishments offer shuttle services to the lift. The same shuttle can also transport nordic skiers to a distant trailhead so they can ski different part of the Nordic circuit.
When I ski in the Dolomites, I almost always pick a place to stay that is not in a village with lifts. Since I want to go skiing in a different title ski area every day (all in the same Dolomiti Superski pass by the way), I much rather drive a bit every day (and get more house for the budget that we have).

So: a very good suggestion, has worked for me brilliantly. You may need to rent two cars though. Although in the Pustertal there is a regional train service that offers skiing from the train stations!

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If it snows in Europe next season, I’d jump at the chance to go! I just renewed my ikon pass last night and there are some amazing European destinations on it.

I dont mind skiing groomers and keeping it “mellow.” The thought of skiing from town to town and eating amazing food in beautiful scenery is enough for me! Can you share more specifics on your sister’s trip? Transport/lodging costs, was there enough snow to keep them entertained!? What types of guiding services did the use - to go off piste or lessons?

Sadly, not a huge surprise thst Zermatt is cheaper than say going to Tahoe. I would much rather pay 30 for a gourmet meal than for frozen pretzel!!! The 30 dollar pretzel is real! It did come with 3 sauces though. Ha ha.

If I were to go, i have my eyes on the Dolomites or France, which I’m sure would be much cheaper than Switzerland and definitely cheaper than staying on mountain at Alta or Snowbird!!! …..Hmmmm, could the next Gathering be in Europe @dbostedo???

k
She is on a cruise right now I will ask her the details when she comes back. She did tell me the food was amazing the slopeside lodging plentifull and much cheaper. They got the guide for one or 2 days to show them around the complex terrain and lifts to the best snow. No backcountry adventures since her family are mostly advanced intermediates. Snow was variable since the elevation and aspect and distances are so vast. She said the guide was worth it and not too expensive. Much cheaper than any lesson for multiple people here in Colorado. Amazing food all over.

Sponsor

Staff online