• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Useless or Pointless Drills or Exercises

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What drills or exercises do you see instructors have their students do that make you scratch your head? The pointless or useless drills that do nothing to further their progress, or may actually set them back?. I'm sure some of you have seen a few. Are there some that you find very simple and effective? Just wondering so I wont make those mistakes.

James

Out There
Instructor
Lol
For new skiers-
Personally, I wonder if the one footed scooter drill is worth much. It does get them moving and living in the equipment. Fail rate is huge, success - does it matter? You have to shift balance in a way you don’t while skiing.

If I had my way, we’d have a gentle bowl where people could glide for at least a halfhour and not worry about hitting someone or something. Not worry about stopping. Then sidestep up. Repeat.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What drills or exercises do you see instructors have their students do that make you scratch your head? The pointless or useless drills that do nothing to further their progress, or may actually set them back?. I'm sure some of you have seen a few. Are there some that you find very simple and effective? Just wondering so I wont make those mistakes.
Do you have a tool chest in your garage? Do you have tools that you might have used just once and never again, but for that one job it was the right tool? Well, instructors have tools ie drills they use for teaching. The more tools an instructor has, the better a teacher they can be.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Only drill I have had in a lesson that was memorably terrible was dolphin turns. Really painful for my toes and one I will flat refuse to do. I'm sure I was doing it wrong, but no advice was offered. Only saw it in one lesson and glad to have not seen it again. Evidently I am not good enough to do this without pain.

The 'drills' I find to be a 'groan' lately are the static demos. One being 'stand on this mound here with your ski tip/tail free and see how you can pivot the ski from the hip socket.' Another is the 'edge tipping and angulation while the instructor tries to pull you downhill.' Thankfully I have not seen these in a while, but sometimes they come up in group lessons, and with a big group and demo on every member... :(.

I am sure there were many other drills over the years that were hopeless when I had rental ski boots, but we soldiered on anyway.

The proper drill done poorly is not helpful. It could make things worse if practiced poorly outside the lesson.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Only drill I have had in a lesson that was memorably terrible was dolphin turns. Really painful for my toes and one I will flat refuse to do. I'm sure I was doing it wrong, but no advice was offered. Only saw it in one lesson and glad to have not seen it again. Evidently I am not good enough to do this without pain.

The 'drills' I find to be a 'groan' lately are the static demos. One being 'stand on this mound here with your ski tip/tail free and see how you can pivot the ski from the hip socket.' Another is the 'edge tipping and angulation while the instructor tries to pull you downhill.' Thankfully I have not seen these in a while, but sometimes they come up in group lessons, and with a big group and demo on every member... :(.

I am sure there were many other drills over the years that were hopeless when I had rental ski boots, but we soldiered on anyway.

The proper drill done poorly is not helpful. It could make things worse if practiced poorly outside the lesson.
I come from the other side of the fence on Dolphin Turns. Learning to do them has been an on going quest for YEARS. Last season they started to come together, not elegant but the components were there. Some of the better bump skiing I have done in years followed. Think it came from consciously thinking about opening and closing the ankles (or it could have been the drugs). Would not teach them in a class situation, don't want the students ROFL at me.

2 I do not get and don't see often:
Holding both poles vertically in front of you. When and WHY would you ski like that?
Putting tape over the bottom part of a students goggles. The object is to keep the student from looking down at their ski tips; the results is they have to look down more to watch their ski tips.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I come from the other side of the fence on Dolphin Turns. Learning to do them has been an on going quest for YEARS. Last season they started to come together, not elegant but the components were there. Some of the better bump skiing I have done in years followed. Think it came from consciously thinking about opening and closing the ankles (or it could have been the drugs). Would not teach them in a class situation, don't want the students ROFL at me.
It did not help that the instructor demoing them fell shortly thereafter in the moguls. I forget what drill she was doing in there, but I do remember the splat. I think she may have taken the dolphin turns into the moguls. That pretty much ended the dolphins for the day ogsmile.

I don't know why dolphin turns have not come up since then within a lesson. I think I have seen it a handful of times while in a lesson, but it was more to show off I think. It was not actually taught. Likely I have bigger problems that need to be addressed first.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ok, so standing on a mound and pivoting the skis is a demonstration. Once you get it you can do it yourself. If that’s what causes agita you need to move on.

Same thing with the getting someone to lean into the hill and angulate. A drill with that might be a traverse with someone traversing below you pulling. That would be a bit of a trust excercise though…

Dolphin turns- use terrain to help you. Like very small bumps or a ridge. There’s really no need to suffer and do them on flat unless you want to be a park rat.

Why would you ever “need” to do them onflat? Now if you’re young, athletic and have too much energy you should be made to suffer or prove yourself, so then I could see it.

Putting tape over the bottom part of a students goggles. The object is to keep the student from looking down at their ski tips; the results is they have to look down more to watch their ski tips.
Think I’m going to use Ski Talk stickers for that…
Never heard of that! I don’t think many schools would approve anymore anyway. Dumb and risky.

However… At a highly skilled level, years ago I heard from an Italian coach who knew the coach of one of the top Italian women speed skiers. Isolde Kostner I think. (Italians seem to really love their downhillers) He used to take the goggle lens and scratch it with sandpaper to make it hard to see. Then they’d run the course. Now that has value for risk at that level if done within reason. Still thinking it’s a bit old school.

So now I’m thinking we need translucent Ski Talk stickers.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Had a SSD once make us pull our hats down over our eyes and 'try' to ski. The idea was to experience sensory deprivation, the results were carnage. We only did that once.
Not a drill but part of a university experiment. They squirted ice water in our inner ear to see if it would distort our balance badly; it worked.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Useless: So-called hockey stops when done poorly. I've seen instructors demo and have class do them as fish hooks, which instills leaning in. Done right they teach rotation separate from the upper body and directing balance to the downhill ski, of course, but they're not easy to teach to students without a solid background.

Simple and effective: This is for beginners stuck in a big wedge, probably a poor one and lacking fore-aft balance. Find very gentle terrain. Have students make straight downhill runs going into and out of a wedge, rhythmically. Repeat until perfected. Then if your resort has built a "spine" do the same thing there. The slopes falling away on both sides will naturally create edging when skis are in a wedge, allowing students to feel what it's like. The challenge is then to bring skis parallel and stay on the top of the spine. Progress to all kinds of other fun exercises and challenges using the spine. (And really helps teach the amount of speed needed, to stop braking, and to use terrain for speed control.)

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Personally, I wonder if the one footed scooter drill is worth much. It does get them moving and living in the equipment. Fail rate is huge, success - does it matter? You have to shift balance in a way you don’t while skiing.
Again, is it being done right? The emphasis should be on standing and gliding on that one ski, not just falling back onto the free foot used as a crutch. Done properly, teaches importance of balancing on one ski; teaches fore-aft balance; teaches flexing of joints in concert.
If I had my way, we’d have a gentle bowl where people could glide for at least a halfhour and not worry about hitting someone or something. Not worry about stopping. Then sidestep up. Repeat.
Absolutely! A necessity, but not always provided.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Lol
For new skiers-
Agree with the above. The primary directive when working with newbies is to change how they dynamically balance from a heel to toe methodology to a through the arch methodology controlled by the flex complex (ankles, knees hips). Any exercise that perpetuates heel to toe movement is detrimental and a waste of valuable lesson time.
Sorry but I don't do straight. Students can figure that out for themselves if balancing properly. I teach what skis are designed to do and that is making circles. I do that starting with a wedge configuration that reinforces through the arch dynamic balance and places the skier on their inside edges.
I also no longer teach rotary at the beginner level. Rotary will undoubtably happen and when it does, I just make sure it is initiated from around the arch and not pushed from the heel.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
One footed skiing drills. Perhaps they are useful, but I always felt stupid doing them as part of ski patrol training.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One footed skiing drills. Perhaps they are useful, but I always felt stupid doing them as part of ski patrol training.
I hear you. They do demonstrate advanced skills, but from the standpoint of most skiers there's a stupid human tricks aspect to them. Probably better to drill for one-footed skills that focus on smaller pieces of the turn cycle. That's more within reach for most people.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I

2 I do not get and don't see often:
Holding both poles vertically in front of you. When and WHY would you ski like that?

Going to disagree with you here big time Bob. It may not be helpful in ski school but for my athletes it is a great drill for getting them comfortable rolling the ski edge to edge while keeping the body in the fall line with upper/lower body separation. As you move it to steeper terrain they need to start getting bigger edge angles as well. One of the very few drills I will actually use for myself from time to time (I hate drills!ogsmile)

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Going to disagree with you here big time Bob. It may not be helpful in ski school but for my athletes it is a great drill for getting them comfortable rolling the ski edge to edge while keeping the body in the fall line with upper/lower body separation. As you move it to steeper terrain they need to start getting bigger edge angles as well. One of the very few drills I will actually use for myself from time to time (I hate drills!ogsmile)
Is it an improvement to holding the poles horizontally? I use that one a lot for all of the same reasons you are talking about. Holing the poles vertically just seems to get one hand too high and potentially put the student on their heels. Not disagreeing, just not understanding. :beercheer:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it an improvement to holding the poles horizontally? I use that one a lot for all of the same reasons you are talking about. Holing the poles vertically just seems to get one hand too high and potentially put the student on their heels. Not disagreeing, just not understanding. :beercheer:

The way I use it Bob is with the poles vertical as a picture frame. The athlete then focuses on a feature at the bottom of the hill and has to keep that feature within the picture frame. This effectively helps them keep the upper body in the fall line

TS
graham418

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The way I use it Bob is with the poles vertical as a picture frame. The athlete then focuses on a feature at the bottom of the hill and has to keep that feature within the picture frame. This effectively helps them keep the upper body in the fall line
I have heard people say not to use any pole drills like the picture frame. A change in philosophy? I was taught using the picture frame

James

Out There
Instructor
Sorry but I don't do straight. Students can figure that out for themselves if balancing properly.
So what are your balancing drills?

I have heard people say not to use any pole drills like the picture frame. A change in philosophy? I was taught using the picture frame
The problem can be many people interpret that as the way to ski. I’ve been asked that many times , even from random people on the lift. So they make large turns facing downhill the whole time. Or try to.

But if you’re going to make short turns in the fall line, then sure.