• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike USFS Designates E-Bikes “Motorized Vehicles”

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm going to wade into the fray as a very new class 1 ebike owner.

I think the beef here is mostly with those that are going very fast uphill on ebikes which does exist but I believe those are a very small minority of ebike riders. I think most ebike riders are like me and just hoping for a bit of an assist to make it up steeper and/or more technical climbs without having to stop and walk and be able to ride a bit longer/further than we could otherwise. Right now, my issues are largely lack of fitness but I also have asthma and live at 7500 feet so some climbing can send me into an attack. Hopefully more riding will help me on both of those issues but regardless, I'm not flying up any hills anywhere close to 15-20mph and, frankly, I don't want to be going that fast down most hills either but if I do, the pedal assist shuts off at 20mph.

As a former runner I saw tons of damage done to our local trails by mountain bikes before ebikes became popular and I see about the same amount of damage happening now. Mostly those are because of riders who either ride when it's too wet causing massive ankle breaking ruts in the trails or where the riders leave the trail to go around someone or something. While there may be a slight increase in damage from an ebike, I highly doubt that it is so extensive that class 1 ebikes should be excluded. Class 2/3/4 are entirely different animals.
I m sorry, common sense conversations have no place among the pitch forks and torches. ;)

Yes, assholes know no bounds be it on eMTB's, regular bikes, snowboards or skis. They are around us and unfortunately set the standards for ignorant actions.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Circling back to what I perceive the real issue to be here.. eBikes are like shaped skis.. They make all terrain and the sport significantly more easily accessible AND ENJOYABLE for considerably more people. This could greatly increase the overall traffic at every park... not just assholes, not just people trying to be considerate.. more traffic period than there is where everyone must supply 100% of their own power to play.. More traffic causes more wear and tear and other negative externalities regardless of how hard most people try to leave no trace and stay out eachother's way.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I consider myself a very experienced MTB rider. Been riding regularly since mountain bikes began over 40 years ago. I own both analog bikes & for the past 2 seasons a Class 1 E-MTB . The only difference in the impact with my Ebike is that I can do big rides more often therefore I spend more time on the trail.
I tend to use the Ebike more is a self shuttle & yes I go fast uphill but it is usually on a paved or double track road. Even then it is rare that I would hit the 20mph threshold. The idea of going up an even semi technical single track at 20 mph is ridiculous! In fact for me it is only a slight difference in uphill speed similar to the speed I could climb when I was 10 years younger.
BTW even as I approach 70yo. I go way faster downhill with full-suspension than I ever did in my 20’s & 30’s before suspension.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Racing is not the same as the everyday trail rider.
Mortals don't hit those speeds going up hill on a standard bike or an e-bike.
I’m a regular mortal. First time I rode an e-bike I had it on the limit going 20 mph on a hill I typically ride at 5 or so. I wanted to see if it really could be a hazard on two way trails and I’d say it can. Most people will not ride like that. Some will.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Circling back to what I perceive the real issue to be here.. eBikes are like shaped skis.. They make all terrain and the sport significantly more easily accessible AND ENJOYABLE for considerably more people. This could greatly increase the overall traffic at every park... not just assholes, not just people trying to be considerate.. more traffic period than there is where everyone must supply 100% of their own power to play.. More traffic causes more wear and tear and other negative externalities regardless of how hard most people try to leave no trace and stay out eachother's way.
The flip side to more people on the trails is there are more possibilities for more volunteers to help maintain and expand trail systems and parks. We've seen that in our area. We have a small but active volunteer group that is usually 40-50% ebikers.

Sponsor

Staff online