• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Utah 2020-2021 Season Pass Selection Options

CB-4

'Skers by 90
Skier
PugSki Community: My wife and I could use your opinion!
Hopefully you can help us decide which season pass option to buy for the upcoming 2020-2021 ski season before the "early bird" pricing expires. We have compiled our thoughts, skier profiles, and a lot of other information into a guide to help make our decision and for you to form an opinion. In short, we are two young adult skiers living in South Ogden Utah that are trying to decide if we should stick with skiing at Snowbasin or if we should pull the trigger and drive the extra miles to ski Little Cottonwood Canyon or elsewhere in Utah! Additionally, Snowbird pass options and pricing have not officially been released so any information relating to pricing for 2020-2021 would be helpful as well. Thanks for your opinion!

Attachments

• 2020-2021 Utah Season Pass Selection Dilemma.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 44

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pull up the PDF file you attached. Saw it was multi pages. TLDR.

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer.
Early season discount and which resort to ski next season are relatively minor details to be engrossed over at this point in time.
I believe a bigger picture view is required under the current circumstances. The big question is "Will there be a ski season next year?"
Or better yet "Will we be alive same time next year?"

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
With the certainty that there will NOT be a Covid-19 vaccine in time for the 20-2021 ski season, this might be the best time to NOT buy an early season pass but rather wait things out.

I'm thinking that early season sales will likely be weak, prompting buying deadline extensions.

TS
CB-4

CB-4

'Skers by 90
Skier
Definitely a lot of unknowns related to next season. I know there has been a lot of conversation about season pass products relating to ‘20-21 and COVID impacts. Personally, I would like something to look forward to and I can accept the consequences of losing out on max $2k should the resorts not open and not fully refund. You’re right KingGrump, it seems as though I would have a lot more to worry about beyond skiing if that future materializes.

Have either of you purchased a ‘20-21 season pass yet?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Aside the COVID-19 and pricing factors, my experience as a visitor only is that traffic gets pretty bad between Ogden and SLC during rush hour, which would tend to make sticking to Snowbasin preferable.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While everyone is being hesitant to buy a season pass in this crazy time, I know that we will be planning on getting our passes soon. For sure the IKON pass, and Mt Rose pass.
As for Utah, living near Ogden, I'd strongly consider a powder mountain pass with a compliment Mountain Collective or IKON pass. (though the IKON pass may be more than you want to spend as an extra pass)
From Ogden, you can make Powder your home mountain without crowds, and hit other resorts within 1-4 hrs on a compliment pass to mix things up.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You’re right KingGrump, it seems as though I would have a lot more to worry about beyond skiing if that future materializes.

Sorry for living up to my screen name. You are right about looking forward to the brighter things in our future. Never lose hope. :beercheer:

FWIW, Mamie and I will probably buy the Ikon at at later date when things settle down a bit. Probably around August/Sept. Both of us already bought new skis for next season - just in case. :ogbiggrin:

Back to Snow Basin vs Snowbird. Haven't been to Snow basin in a while. From what @AmyPJ been posting, it has gone to s**ts. Been skiing the Bird since 1981. My favorite area around SLC. Goos enough for us to spent the 2014 season there. Great season and had a good time. The last few seasons, the LCC access road has been a nightmare. Now we don't eve consider the Bird unless we are staying on top of the hill.

Good luck.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Rough approximation; S. Ogden to Snowbasin 35 mins, to Pow Mow 45 mins, to Park City 1:15, Snowbird 1:20.

Do you ski mostly weekends? Do you place a very high priority on powder days or are you good with lesser conditions and smaller crowds that go with lesser conditions?

I get to spend the winter at the base of the canyons with a drive of about 15-20 mins to Snowbird on a good traffic day. That same trip can take two hours on a big powder Sat or Sun. Or even longer when the LCC access road is closed for avi mitigation from 6-8AM because of fresh overnight snow. These kind of especially bad traffic days going up LCC can happen about 5-10 days per winter. Are you likely to be the kind of weekend powder hunter that will get tied up by them? If so, you could be in for some very frustrating days and three-hour+ trips each way in bumper to bumper traffic on some days when you have the highest expectations for something more fun.

If you don't mind carefully monitoring morning traffic reports and taking a pass on certain crazy/busy powder days when the access road goes to heck and/or you get to ski a fair amount of weekdays, then traveling from your area to LCC or BCC might work very well for a season to see and ski some new terrain.

Just to mess with your head and let you know what you'd be fighting traffic for :ogbiggrin:

1586552320433.png
1586552398441.png
1586552540291.png
1586552594420.png

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I laughed at two things: Powder days aren't busy at Snowbasin, and lots of Jerrys.
I also see that you have the Mountain Collective as an option with a Basin pass. This is not the case, and wasn't last season, either.

I've gotten so fed up with the crowds at Snowbasin that I'm contemplating a Powder Mountain pass next season. The skier experience at Snowbasin has gone in the toilet in the past 3 seasons.

Downside to Powder Mountain is you won't be skiing until they have enough of a natural base to open, as they don't make snow. Bonus is they don't make snow, so snow quality on the groomers is superior.

TS
CB-4

CB-4

'Skers by 90
Skier
Thanks for the great replies everybody! Really I made the slides to gather my thoughts for myself and to help my wife to learn a little bit about the Utah scene as well.

Jim, those pictures and the LCC reputation are the only reason I would consider fighting the traffic (which of course is the biggest con)!

A little bit more into that LCC allure for me:
95% probability that we won't be living in Utah forever. I imagine that we will move for my job or to be closer to family within 2-4 years and I don't know if we'll ever be back. When we move I know that I will always wonder what it would have been like to ski a season at one of the "greatest" in Utah, especially when a 1.25hr "ideal" traffic drive is nothing compared to skiing out of Denver or CO Springs. On the flipside, I could also say that I optimized my time in Utah by avoiding crowds, maximizing unpressured powder turns, and skiing ultra close to home (e.g. snowbasin, powmow).
Here's a fun "comeback" picture from Middle Bowl Cirque at Snowbasin :ogbiggrin:
1586559351171.png

Either way, I enjoy skiing in most conditions, powder is cherished but not a necessity, we ski primarily weekends, and I can strategically take off 2-3 days/ season to chase UT snow during the work week.

Amy, do you have anything to elaborate on with the decline in skier experience at Snowbasin? Lift lines or crowded runs? I have my own observations and opinions after two years and I wonder if they match up. Also the mountain collective would be another purchase to compliment the basin pass. I just can't seem to get a good handle on the PowMow experience quite yet and I would be hesitant to jump ship without skiing there first (planned day this year cut short by covid)

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the great replies everybody! Really I made the slides to gather my thoughts for myself and to help my wife to learn a little bit about the Utah scene as well.

Jim, those pictures and the LCC reputation are the only reason I would consider fighting the traffic (which of course is the biggest con)!

95% probability that we won't be living in Utah forever. I imagine that we will move for my job or to be closer to family within 2-4 years and I don't know if we'll ever be back. When we move I know that I will always wonder what it would have been like to ski a season at one of the "greatest" in Utah, especially when a 1.25hr "ideal" traffic drive is nothing compared to skiing out of Denver or CO Springs. On the flipside, I could also say that I optimized my time in Utah by avoiding crowds, maximizing unpressured powder turns, and skiing ultra close to home (e.g. snowbasin, powmow).
Here's a fun "comeback" picture from Middle Bowl Cirque at Snowbasin :ogbiggrin:
View attachment 99466

Either way, I enjoy skiing in most conditions, powder is cherished but not a necessity, we ski primarily weekends, and I can strategically take off 2-3 days/ season to chase UT snow during the work week.

Amy, do you have anything to elaborate on with the decline in skier experience at Snowbasin? Lift lines or crowded runs? I have my own observations and opinions after two years and I wonder if they match up. Also the mountain collective would be another purchase to compliment the basin pass. I just can't seem to get a good handle on the PowMow experience quite yet and I would be hesitant to jump ship without skiing there first (planned day this year cut short by covid)
With this in mind, get the IKON pass, make solitude your home mountain and use the extra days for Snowbird, Alta and Deer Valley your bonus days. With that, you can take the option to pay a little extra to get the Jackson Hole add on with IKON and make that short trip to JH when you have some time to take the jaunt.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbirds tram pass is a great value with the long season. It's the whole package. Just crowded. If you prefer skiing into early summer then that is obviously a best value.

Powwow has limited pass sales so it may be hard to get a pass there, generally lighter crowds and better snow than basin. large area but mostly mellow terrain, but it's big enough to offer up fare for any taste. Upside down resort is hard to access. Might kill your car if you drive a jalopie.

Ikon might be worth it if you want to try the myriad places available in that pass. Solitude is not the main attaction, and is apparently super duper crowded since the marketing change.

Personally I am sticking to basin next season.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 99466

Yes to both, and grooming quality sub-par. More closures on Strawberry than ever. Also, areas that used to remain untracked for a looooong time are skied out in two hours tops on any given day these days. It's gone from a ski area that cares more about the skier experience to a ski area that only cares about making money.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I believe a bigger picture view is required under the current circumstances. The big question is "Will there be a ski season next year?"
Or better yet "Will we be alive same time next year?"
In addition to the above questions, I am asking will I lose all my money by next year and if so, will they add a couple more soup kitchens for me to choose from.

Assuming I make it through Grump, do you recommend I take Carnival or Royal Carribean for my holiday excursion this Fall?

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
I laughed at two things: Powder days aren't busy at Snowbasin, and lots of Jerrys.
I also see that you have the Mountain Collective as an option with a Basin pass. This is not the case, and wasn't last season, either.

I've gotten so fed up with the crowds at Snowbasin that I'm contemplating a Powder Mountain pass next season. The skier experience at Snowbasin has gone in the toilet in the past 3 seasons.

Downside to Powder Mountain is you won't be skiing until they have enough of a natural base to open, as they don't make snow. Bonus is they don't make snow, so snow quality on the groomers is superior.

This is so sad to read. Have you/Bryce talked to any of the Snowbasin management about your thoughts? Does the management even care? I completed a survey there this season and gave them a piece of my mind. Of course, if the management doesn't care, then it's all moot.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is so sad to read. Have you/Bryce talked to any of the Snowbasin management about your thoughts? Does the management even care? I completed a survey there this season and gave them a piece of my mind. Of course, if the management doesn't care, then it's all moot.
We feel it's moot. New management is not a snowsports enthusiast.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you taken the UTA ski buses before? If you've been consistently driving to Snowbasin, I recommend caution in projecting transit use next season. The one time I took the ski bus to/from Solitude, it was an all-around unpleasant experience--booting up down in the smog, standing in ski boots on a wet floor holding skis & poles while the bus went around hairpin turns. Some others were standing in better shoes, but they were holding skis, poles, and a boot bag. Awkward either way. Crammed too tight and wearing warm gear so it was very hot. And the extra waiting at both ends. Just not very pleasant. I found UTA great for when I needed to work downtown and could just hop the bus instead of driving, or when exploring different areas around downtown or the U... but the ski bus isn't for me.

Of course, weekday rush hour from South Ogden to LCC can be brutal. When I lived there I was in Millcreek and bought a pass at Snowbasin... mostly for weekends/holidays, but on those weekdays when I went up to Snowbasin, I definitely remember being thankful I was going against traffic as I saw the giant backups. I'll share my thoughts resort-by-resort
  • Snowbasin: when I lived in Utah, it was amazing. Based on various reports at PugSki, it's gone downhill a lot in the past few years... but that still probably means it offers a better-than-average experience, which would help reconcile the differences in perspective between you and longer-time Snowbasin patrons. Your observations about Snowbasin seem on-target to me. I'd add that it's the worst spot in Utah for a lower intermediate skier. Briana definitely deserves some better easy-blue-run experiences to help build confidence and skill.
  • Alta: Maybe I just lucked out with restrooms at Alta, but I didn't run into any that were "gross" by a long shot. They're definitely not as luxurious as in Snowbasin's main lodge, but Snowbasin's are in a league of their own. Great intermediate skiing, and a better fit for Briana. Advanced terrain is not very solo-accessible... Cody would likely have a significantly better experience at Alta if he's got a buddy there or can make some ski buddies pretty quickly. You mention lift lines on weekends/big pow days... my experience at Alta is that sunny weekdays also have the longest lift lines in Utah.
  • Snowbird: Better low-intermediate terrain than Snowbasin, but worse than anywhere else in Utah. My experience as an intermediate at Snowbird was that its terrain kept on pushing me to get better... it wore me out but I had a stupid grin on my face after each run. It definitely doesn't feel small even if just sticking to blues. Still, might be a little too much for Briana until she skills up a little farther. A lot more advanced terrain is clearly visible from the lifts, making many steeps much more solo-friendly than at Alta. Snobby? Not in my experience... Alta's got more of a snob problem.
  • Powder Mountain: Make sure to try it out next year (assuming there's a ski season). Very uncrowded, which makes for a radically better ski experience in my opinion. Fantastic intermediate terrain--the best bet for Briana. The old lifts are much faster than the fixed-grip lifts at Snowbasin, so it shouldn't feel like as much of a downgrade as you might worry. And when you say "challenging but not crazy" terrain, PowMow has that... but those steeps have similar snowfall to Snowbasin without the snowmaking that helps get & keep Grizzly/Wildflower/Hollywood open. And the snowcat/bus skiing is best experienced with a partner. If your car can handle the access road, I'd actually recommend it as a pass purchase for both of you next year, and maybe Mountain Collective or just one-off day passes for Cody's solo days to explore some more challenging options.
  • Brighton: I wasn't particularly excited to try Brighton, but it turns out overall it's my favorite Wasatch ski spot for its fantastic intermediate terrain, fast lifts, and relatively low crowds. Probably the second best spot for Briana, but more limited advanced terrain.
  • Solitude, PCMR, Deer Valley: I think you're right--too far, too expensive, not the right mountains for you two.
Note that your slide for Snowbasin + Mountain Collective has a couple errors in the Benefits section.... no Ikon Base Pass (although there's overlap); only 5 days in Utah (2 Alta + 2 Snowbird +1 bonus day if you buy early enough). Grand Targhee is now an MCP member, making a Sun Valley-Grand Targhee-Jackson Hole vacation ideal (unless you're fixated on Big Sky, which is a significantly longer drive).

Overall, you're a tough pair of skiers to make recommendations for! I think my biggest worry would be Briana saying "I ski blues but if they are really steep or conditions are not ideal I don't like it very much." I'd be very worried that another season at Snowbasin is going to convince her to quit skiing, and the extra hassle of commuting down to LCC isn't going to help much, even with better terrain. PowMow is chock full of blue runs that are a bit less steep than Snowbasin's and are much more frequently in ideal shape due to the low crowds--I think that's the spot for Briana to practice and explore next year, maybe take a lesson or two, and perhaps be more comfortable on the more challenging or crowded terrain in 21/22. Pairing PowMow with MCP or Ikon can still offer some more variety, too.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Note that your slide for Snowbasin + Mountain Collective has a couple errors in the Benefits section.... no Ikon Base Pass (although there's overlap); only 5 days in Utah (2 Alta + 2 Snowbird +1 bonus day if you buy early enough). Grand Targhee is now an MCP member, making a Sun Valley-Grand Targhee-Jackson Hole vacation ideal (unless you're fixated on Big Sky, which is a significantly longer drive).

Note that Sun Valley and Snowbasin are no longer on MCP

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a fellow optimizier, I will suggest two things

1) There are always unknowns and right now the unknowns are at a historical levels and there are no way you are going to get it perfect.

2) consider this a lifelong pursuit, or at least a multiseason endeavor; which will take some pressure off to get it exactly right. There is hidden value to trying new things, so the exact order is of little importance. You can try one combination in an upcoming season, with the idea to try a different combination next season and so on, and through some trial you both experience things for yourself and come to find what you enjoy. You may also find more value in a rotation rather than optimizing to 1 thing.

Just out of curiosity would also like to ask the OP what's their Myer's Briggs type or other personality test results if they are willing (guess: ISTP or INTP)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online