• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah OSQ for a friend.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
A friend I ski with occasionally wants new skis and asked me for ski advice yesterday. He is different enough from me I didn't know what to suggest. Want to help?

He is 59, 6' tall, 200 lbs, works out regularly, has skied for decades, and gets about 40-50 days per season. He has no interest in working on technique or learning about skis, just looking to have some fun. He skis at Park City, Deer Valley, Powder, Solitude & Snowbird. He always seems to keep up with the herd but it isn't what I'd call pretty, just no fear of speed. I don't think I've seen a carve from him but he turns left and right and he can stop. He doesn't tour.

I set him up with a good boot fitter last year but I don't know what he got. I think something 120ish in flex and he did tell me that he was adamant with the fitter he did not want a "performance fit", he wanted comfort.

His current gear includes some old Salomon X-scream series (The yellow ones c. 2003) that I think he is ready to retire, some old Salomon twin tips c. 2010, and a pair of Kastle XX110's he bought on a recommendation from the ski wall at a shop last time he wanted new skis. I'm guessing the guy got a bonus on those. He calls the XX110s his "powder skis".

He asked me what I would recommend for a low tide "all mountain" ski ( firm to less than <6" days).

I came up with Fischer 102 FR, K2 Mindbender 108 TI, and ON3P Woodsman 102. All in the mid 180's length. Right track? Wrong track?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I'd stay under 100mm, probably closer to 90. Armada Declivity 92Ti, DPS Pagoda 94 C2 or Foundation Cassiar 94 (this would be a discontinued model but you should be able to find them new old stock), or even an Elan Wingman 86 CTi. All of those can carve if he chooses to do so, will hold his weight (I'm about his weight but a bit shorter), and are easy to just slip and slide around.

TS
silverback

silverback

Skier
Thanks. My original reaction was 90ish but seeing as he doesn't carve, doesn't really have a powder ski, and skis in Utah, I ended up a little wider. He does have a failing knee, so that might be a good idea. I'll look at reviews on those four.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. My original reaction was 90ish but seeing as he doesn't carve, doesn't really have a powder ski, and skis in Utah, I ended up a little wider. He does have a failing knee, so that might be a good idea. I'll look at reviews on those four.
The knee thing is real. I have enjoyed some wider skis, particularly the Liberty Evolve 100 and Renoun Citadel 106, in mixed conditions. They carve very well and have enough width to float in powder up to a point. They are strong skis for sure. However, I would not want to ski them every day in groomed conditions or even firm ungroomed. Tipping them up on edge really wore on my knees and I don't have any knee issues yet. I ski in the Sierras and for 90+% of what I ski in, as opposed to what I WISH I skied in, the narrower skis suit me better.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A UT 1sq can be a 10x, 9x or 8x. Just depends.

Dps cassiar, Nordica enforcer, stockli sr, Solly QST, Fischer rangers, volkl kendo/mantra, blizzi rustler, Atomic chetler, and more... It's a long list.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been skiing about 30-40 days in Utah the last three winters. In low tide I use a ski that is 85mm. Normally I use a ski that is 98mm. I use a ski that is 108mm in powder. When in doubt of which to use I go with the 98mm (Blizzard Bonafide).

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would think a Colby West pro model would be a good powder ski. Is it not suitable for pow?

TS
silverback

silverback

Skier
I've been skiing about 30-40 days in Utah the last three winters. In low tide I use a ski that is 85mm. Normally I use a ski that is 98mm. I use a ski that is 108mm in powder. When in doubt of which to use I go with the 98mm (Blizzard Bonafide).

He only wants one.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Upper 90's at most. The list can go on, you can ask 10 people here and get 12 good options. For some reason or another , the first ski that came to mind was the Bonafide 97 in the 183. I am sure you will get many other great options.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Low tide & he doesn't carve? Fischer 94FR maybe a better fit than the 102...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Enforcer 94 would be good for his size and style of skiing. Pretty good in all conditions and easy to carve or skid on or off piste. Deals might be out there on last years topsheet too.
+6.5 :ogbiggrin:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Remember when I suggested....
Upper 90's at most. The list can go on, you can ask 10 people here and get 12 good options. For some reason or another , the first ski that came to mind was the Bonafide 97 in the 183. I am sure you will get many other great options.
Here you go....

TS
silverback

silverback

Skier
Remember when I suggested....

Here you go....

I do remember!

That was the first ski I thought of but I haven't been on them since I sold the version 1's I bought from you ten years ago. When I looked up reviews on the new ones, I kept seeing things like:
"It is damp, powerful, and precise"
"you need to have good technique to really enjoy it."
"if you are a physically strong skier with solid technique and you like to drive the shovels of your ski, then I think many of you will quite like the Bonafide..."
"the Bonafide really doesn’t want you hanging out in the backseat, and can get a bit punishing if you try to relax on the back half of the ski or start tail gunning too hard."
"the Bonafide 97 is best suited for physically strong skiers with advanced or expert technique"
"The Bonafide 97 seems most appealing for technically proficient skiers who prioritize suspension, stability, and precision. Those who like a low swing weight, who ski centered or often get backseat, or who prefer a looser ski that’s really easy to slash and pivot should look elsewhere"
"this Bonafide is still best suited for experts"

Did they get it wrong or would a 200lb good time Charlie who needs some lessons (but wont get them) enjoy it?

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do remember!

That was the first ski I thought of but I haven't been on them since I sold the version 1's I bought from you ten years ago. When I looked up reviews on the new ones, I kept seeing things like:
"It is damp, powerful, and precise"
"you need to have good technique to really enjoy it."
"if you are a physically strong skier with solid technique and you like to drive the shovels of your ski, then I think many of you will quite like the Bonafide..."
"the Bonafide really doesn’t want you hanging out in the backseat, and can get a bit punishing if you try to relax on the back half of the ski or start tail gunning too hard."
"the Bonafide 97 is best suited for physically strong skiers with advanced or expert technique"
"The Bonafide 97 seems most appealing for technically proficient skiers who prioritize suspension, stability, and precision. Those who like a low swing weight, who ski centered or often get backseat, or who prefer a looser ski that’s really easy to slash and pivot should look elsewhere"
"this Bonafide is still best suited for experts"

Did they get it wrong or would a 200lb good time Charlie who needs some lessons (but wont get them) enjoy it?
How good of a friend is he?

ETA: the easiest ski in my quiver in a Salomon QST 92. Super chill ski. Another would be cassiar 87.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink