• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah OSQ for a friend.

TS
silverback

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I tried to get him to read a few reviews and discussed some options but we decided I’d give him my 177cm Monster 83s and see if if he likes them. They aren’t the easiest but at his size and comfort with speed…who knows.

At minimum, it should help him understand some descriptions like damp, stability, stiffness, etc better.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:
TS
silverback

silverback

Skier
Follow up.

Skied with my buddy and he brought the Monster 83s. He struggled mightily. Those tails spanked him. Mr never waxes and outside car ski rack was shocked at how fast they run. A more gentle tune might help a little.
I was on FIS SLs and we hiked for a few shallow powder turns. I didn’t think he would make it. Couldn’t turn, several falls.
4EB0C175-2F87-40BE-9B0E-C1EED3A0FEBE.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I assume your ski tracks right and his left? Was that snow crusty? Your skis were even more narrow than his, correct?

It would be nice if you could hit on some other friends to find him some more loaner skis with demo bindings to try in different widths/lengths. Problem is, those kind of free loaners are typically older skis, from the back corner of the garage, and out of tune. He'd be a great candidate for a demo day experience at a ski area, but sounds like he wouldn't pay for it?

TS
silverback

silverback

Skier
Correct on both accounts. Me on 67 wide SL and him on 83s. A little wind affected but not overly crusty. Not sure about his wife’s skis.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been skiing about 30-40 days in Utah the last three winters. In low tide I use a ski that is 85mm. Normally I use a ski that is 98mm. I use a ski that is 108mm in powder. When in doubt of which to use I go with the 98mm (Blizzard Bonafide).
It’s a long time ago now but if I had a OSQ for Utah it would be circa 100mm +/- a little bit for sure.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
How long were the Monsters? If they were too stiff for him then they'd be just hard work. My size is similar to your friend, a bit lighter, and I've had good results with skis that are one or two sizes less than the max for that line to get the stiffness that works for me. (If there are 4 lengths, I'll go down one. If there are 5 lengths, I'll consider going down one or two lengths.) Depending on the year and the model some 83s had a different designation (83X, or?) that has different characteristics than other Monster 83s. And various years had different length choices.
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2020-head-monster-83.17586/

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s a long time ago now but if I had a OSQ for Utah it would be circa 100mm +/- a little bit for sure.
The Great Salt Lake is about 1/3rd the area it used to have. That lessens the lake effect snow. I've skied Alta, Snowbird, Park City, Deer Valley, Brighton, Solitude, Sundance, Snow Basin, and PowMow in the last few years, and had one day with about 4" of fresh. The rest was on firm snow. I really enjoyed my 78 mm narrow all mountain skis and my 66 mm carvers. (Too much water consumption by residential and ag users before the water can get to the lake. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/climate/salt-lake-city-climate-disaster.html)

TS
silverback

silverback

Skier
That’s funny. I’ve had 13 days already this year with more than 6” new snow in the Wasatch.
The monsters are the OG version in a 177cm.
E7EA3E64-76B0-4FCF-8047-F560590EAC48.jpeg

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It would be nice if you could hit on some other friends to find him some more loaner skis with demo bindings to try in different widths/lengths. Problem is, those kind of free loaners are typically older skis, from the back corner of the garage, and out of tune.
@silverback. If his BSL is close to a 306 I have a few skis he could try.

2019 QST106- 181cm
2022 QST106- 188 cm

I’ve not been on most of the skis recommended in this thread but have been happy on both versions of the QST106 on groomers up to well over a foot of new snow. The two lengths might be worth him trying as well as some of my other skis I listed here.
The 2019 QST could be had for cheap if they worked for him.

2020 Enforcer Free 115- 191cm
Mad Russian MR102- 183 cm
Head I-Titan- 177 cm with adjustable bindings if his BSL isn’t close to mine.

2014 Rossi E98- 188 cm. This might be a good one to recommend if you are upset with him. :)

I wouldn’t try to offer an opinion of what would be right for him since I’ve had skis that have worked for me and others that haven’t. My knowledge of why some work and others don’t is almost as limited as my technical ability.
I offer free demos instead of bad advice.

That’s funny. I’ve had 13 days already this year with more than 6” new snow in the Wasatch.
The monsters are the OG version in a 177cm.
View attachment 186774
I started to post something similar and then thought it might contradict me questioning why anyone would want to ski Utah over Colorado. Skiing off Wildcat yesterday I hit a firm mogul or two under the 12” of fresh.
#skicoloradoitdoesntsucklikeutah

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love my M83s. Great versatile ski. As @Philpug said int he linked review the Leatherman of AM skis in this width. Mine are the 2017 models and are showing their age. Plus I put a core shot in one at Solitude in early season moguls. Still work great after repair.

Reactions: BMC

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Mantra M6 or 184 Kore 99.

Sponsor