• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like a pretty low angle slope with plenty of trees, the kind of place you might chance skiing during iffy conditions.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like a pretty low angle slope with plenty of trees, the kind of place you might chance skiing during iffy conditions.

According to the Utah Avalanche Center report: "Two skiers went for a late afternoon ski tour near Electric Lake. They made at least one run down a low angle northeast facing slope. They ascended a ridgeline and for their last run chose a steeper northeast facing slope ... the part of the slope where these skier descended seemed fairly benign compared to the rest of the slope. It was 31 degrees in steepness where they started their descent. There was a short rollover that reached 37 degrees. Our perceptions of hazard can vary a lot, but the most important terrain factor for avalanches is slope angle."

:(

Wasn't buried all that deep, but it was enough unfortunately.

The report also mentioned: "This is the third avalanche fatality this winter in the United States where the victim was not wearing an avalanche transceiver. Your chances for surviving an avalanche burial are greatly increased if you wear an avalanche transceiver."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

This, along with the fatalities of some "experts" in the backcountry skiing world it was keeps me from dabbling in backcountry skiing. I have enough voices in my head without taking these kind of chances. Where is the big chicken emoji?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This, along with the fatalities of some "experts" in the backcountry skiing world it was keeps me from dabbling in backcountry skiing. I have enough voices in my head without taking these kind of chances. Where is the big chicken emoji?

To be fair... the slope that set the slide off was 37 degrees which is basically the sweet spot for avalanches. If you want to ski low angle, you need to keep it in the 25-degree range which gives you a few degrees of mistake before you're probably in trouble.

One thing that this report, and the recent Silverton incident has been a stark reminder of is the importance of slope angle and micro-terrain features. I was skiing an area yesterday that if you look on CalTopo or other shaded angle maps, nothing is above 27-degrees. Measured with a slope meter, easy to find isolated features in the 32-36 degree range which could easily trigger a slide.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
To be fair... the slope that set the slide off was 37 degrees which is basically the sweet spot for avalanches. If you want to ski low angle, you need to keep it in the 25-degree range which gives you a few degrees of mistake before you're probably in trouble.

One thing that this report, and the recent Silverton incident has been a stark reminder of is the importance of slope angle and micro-terrain features. I was skiing an area yesterday that if you look on CalTopo or other shaded angle maps, nothing is above 27-degrees. Measured with a slope meter, easy to find isolated features in the 32-36 degree range which could easily trigger a slide.

Yeah I was in an area last week that was like this. It was "all clear" according to CalTopo but I measured one pitch at 35 -- it was short and not convex or anything, but I definitely wanted to avoid it. Very good reminder.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Re: trees, they have to be really freaking tight to anchor snow (enough that they’re probably not enjoyable to ski). I get that people use the absence of vegetation to recognize slopes that are super slide-prone, but they can definitely happen in tree-covered areas. And then the trauma potential is quite high.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tree islands and rock outcroppings often increase facet growth, that’s why you see a lot of crowns connecting these features. Islands of safety are often the opposite.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Re: trees, they have to be really freaking tight to anchor snow (enough that they’re probably not enjoyable to ski). I get that people use the absence of vegetation to recognize slopes that are super slide-prone, but they can definitely happen in tree-covered areas. And then the trauma potential is quite high.

Here's one from Canada with a fair number of trees:
avy.jpg

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online