• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Supreme Court: 9 year old not responsible for collision

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Green runs can be dangerous
My first experience with a real injury from being run down from behind was when I was starting my daughters out on a beginner hill and this guy knocked me over so that I landed on the upturned edges of his skies. Separated my sternum from the ribs on one side. Certain movements were painful for a dozen years after that.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
My first experience with a real injury from being run down from behind was when I was starting my daughters out on a beginner hill and this guy knocked me over so that I landed on the upturned edges of his skies. Separated my sternum from the ribs on one side. Certain movements were painful for a dozen years after that.
ouch

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ruling makes sense to me. Skiing is commonly recognized as an inherently dangerous activity. So mere harm should not automatically be actionable. There must be actual demonstrated negligence.

And while there certainly is plenty of that going around this time was not one of those times.

Edit: The only thought I'd add is that perhaps everyone would benefit is more beginners were taught early on how to fall down safely and when to fall down.

At some point every out control skier has an obligation to minimize their potential harm to others, even at the expense of themselves.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online