• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Völkl Flair 81

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The word "flair" may conjure thoughts of style, but Völkl has created these skis to be Fair, Lightweight, Agile, Intelligent, and Reliable.
  • Fair -- Constructed mostly from recycled materials and locally sourced wood core
  • Lightweight -- Lightweight wood cores and women-specific binding systems
  • Agile -- Quick and easy to maneuver, nimble, lively
  • Intelligent -- 3D Ridge construction; UVO technology; optimized sidecut, rocker, and flex
  • Reliable - Grip, control, confidence, trust
Some ski manufacturers try to reinvent the wheel by fixing something that isn't broken or making a change for the sake of change, but Völkl used the very good men's RTM 81 as a starting platform for the all-new women’s Flair 81. Engineers modified the construction by replacing metal with carbon and going with a lighter Sensorwood core to ensure a unique experience. The full lineup ranges from the Flair 73 for the advancing beginner up to the Flair SC UVO for the expert carving female.

img_9427-jpg.12519
During the past few years, I have gravitated toward sub-80mm frontside skis, but when I stepped into the Völkl Flair 81, I was not disappointed. The new shape and construction felt more balanced to me than its predecessor, offering a smoother flex along with a rounder turn shape. It gripped the morning's crispy groomers just like you expect a Völkl to do, and the slight tip and tail rocker gave me confidence in the spring crud. I look forward to spending more time on it in the trees and moguls.
  • Who is it for? An advanced woman looking for a daily driver.
  • Who is it not for? This is not a first ski.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to drive it: the more you give it, the more it responds.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Remind me what the predecessor is to the Flair?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's a tough one because the FLAIR line is completely different than the Essenza line, which had the Bio-logic system.
This is a whole new girlfriend, girlfriend.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Meant to please those who liked the Tierra, etc? I'm much more intrigued by Volkl now, since I own and love the Kenjas, and demoed the 90 Eights and LOVED them.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe appealing to someone who liked the Tierra. We'll see when you get a chance to ski mine. :D

Sponsor