• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vail Resorts- a new leaf?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Mask mandates at Vail are a joke.
There is absolutely no enforcement on the gondolas, in the lodges, or in the dining areas.
And don’t get me started on reckless skiers….
It’s pathetic.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Very windy in Tahoe yesterday and Today, Palisades also has upper mountain closures. Currently almost 90mph winds at Alpine.
We were hedging on going to Rose on Friday because of high wind predictions. We ended up staying until around noon with almost no wind at all. Maybe later in the day?

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
We were hedging on going to Rose on Friday because of high wind predictions. We ended up staying until around noon with almost no wind at all. Maybe later in the day?
Maybe, I wasn't there, just looking at sensors. Interestingly the base sensors showed absolutely no wind, mid station around 10-15 and then summits 70+. I'd never really seen that before, normally there's something at the base when it's that windy up top.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe, I wasn't there, just looking at sensors. Interestingly the base sensors showed absolutely no wind, mid station around 10-15 and then summits 70+. I'd never really seen that before, normally there's something at the base when it's that windy up top.
I usually check the DRI weather station info for Slide Mountain. It updates every 10 minutes with wind and temp. Unfortunately it seems it must have been damaged on Christmas day; no data since then.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
A Saturday morning read from the WSJ. its really a PR spin that shows Vail is running things just fine outside of a glitch or two beyond their control.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
A Saturday morning read from the WSJ. its really a PR spin that shows Vail is running things just fine outside of a glitch or two beyond their control.

Vail reached a tentative agreement with the Park City patrollers so that's something.

But something has to give with a pass price of $599, rising inflation, and a covid boost to skier numbers.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I read the article and there is a lot of "spin" in it however there also are some undeniable "facts" in there too. I have witnessed some at my "home bump" here on the least coast which is not in the "Vail Universe". This staffing issue is something that is alarming and is going to have to be addressed. I have a hard time being mad at a mountain not running a lift if they have no one to operate it. The article points out that the pandemic response of many people was to get outside and recreate, good for the ski areas, correct? I worked in the ski industry 1 year between fulltime jobs and know that overall the pay is or was pretty lame but I'm not sure pay rate is the sole issue driving this. I see hiring issues at my own job with a company who has raised their pay rates and still struggle to fill positions. Not sure what the answer is, I know when I was younger Aspen Highlands had a couple of Poma's that were kind of self service with a wand that released the platter on to the cable and really only required 2 people to operate. (was a lot of fun as a kid when it sling-shotted you up the track). Not sure I could see that for a bigger lift.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When you have sold a greatly increased number of passes it is reasonable to anticipate that there will be a proportional increase in people showing up at your resorts to use them. That means that you have to hire the appropriate number of staff to provide the services you have sold. You need to start hiring those staff in a timely manner so that they are available when needed. If what you are offering is not adequate to attract the number of staff you need, you have to improve that offering until it is. This is not hard to comprehend. A business that deliberately sells something it cannot provide is defrauding its customers.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
When you have sold a greatly increased number of passes it is reasonable to anticipate that there will be a proportional increase in people showing up at your resorts to use them. That means that you have to hire the appropriate number of staff to provide the services you have sold. You need to start hiring those staff in a timely manner so that they are available when needed. If what you are offering is not adequate to attract the number of staff you need, you have to improve that offering until it is. This is not hard to comprehend. A business that deliberately sells something it cannot provide is defrauding its customers.
But you'd be surprised that a big contingent of the most profitable customers don't care. Such as " long lines give me a rest", I am enjoying just being up here and enjoying the scenery even with the lift lines, and what an absolute bargain the pass prices are. It's early days to figure out if this is ultimately going to hurt Vail where it counts.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The author of the initial petition is asking for pass holders to stop their auto renewal. Article is here.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When the calls to cancel auto renew grew on social media, Vail cunningly disabled that function on their website! It is, of course, impossible actually to speak to anyone by phone unless one has many hours to waste on hold prior to being disconnected. I don’t doubt that emails cancelling auto renew will be ignored, exactly as emails sent by employees seeking bonus payments to which they were entitled were ignored in years past.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
VR seems so tone deaf. Now they're in trouble with Vermont regulators, who issued a cease and desist order, for reneging on an agreement with some foreign investors who were able to obtain permanent US residency status (green card) by investing $500k in Peak Resorts. VR tried to refund the investments which could put the investors at risk for deportation.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A clever ploy if ever there was one. The CBMR ski report on local radio this morning started out this way: "All lifts are running, except for the High Lift, Teocali, and Prospect...." Was pleased to hear all lifts were running, but then my hopes were dashed. I may have had the names of the lifts not running in the wrong order.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A clever ploy if ever there was one. The CBMR ski report on local radio this morning started out this way: "All lifts are running, except for the High Lift, Teocali, and Prospect...." Was pleased to hear all lifts were running, but then my hopes were dashed. I may have had the names of the lifts not running in the wrong order.
All lifts are running except those that aren't running.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
VR seems so tone deaf. Now they're in trouble with Vermont regulators, who issued a cease and desist order, for reneging on an agreement with some foreign investors who were able to obtain permanent US residency status (green card) by investing $500k in Peak Resorts. VR tried to refund the investments which could put the investors at risk for deportation.

Yea, but anyone whos got wrapped up in a Vermont eb5 fraud scheme probably isn't a helpless resourceless poor immigrant though. Everyone sucks here to a degree.

Reactions: doc

James

Out There
Instructor
Yea, but anyone whos got wrapped up in a Vermont eb5 fraud scheme probably isn't a helpless resourceless poor immigrant though. Everyone sucks here to a degree.
This wasn’t a Quiros Ponzi scheme. Mt Snow raised $54million. And not everyone duped by Quiros had tons of money.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Na. Greed is above all and when the greedy get the money in advance... What motivation do they have to do better? Do the minimum to get people to buy again or own everything so they will have to buy from you anyway. "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"