• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vail Resorts ends printed trail maps at all its locations

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That’s a cycling route. Which makes sense. I could see it done for a long XC ski trip as well. But never for alpine skiing in the US.

Cycling website :) Skiing route. Note the 25-30% grade ski lifts :D Probably right about the US bit tho.

….”rerouting……turn around and side step uphill for 225 feet, then traverse until you reach Bunny Buster.”

”On your current trail you will reach your lodge restroom destination in approximately 12 minutes. There is a 5 minute delay due to an accident on the side of the trail. ”

:roflmao: :geek::huh::roflmao:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, around here people always say, “follow the road to the left, uphill past Carl’s old place.”
…Carl has been dead for 10 years.

Also..to me:
”Oh! so you live not far from the old Manatawny Hotel!”
…that building has been a veterinarian’s office for the past 30 years.
Sounds kinda like Punxsutawny.

amorFati

Booting up
Skier
I could see where that could be useful in a place like Port du Soleil, where there are interconnected resorts and you’re trying to get from one starting place to another village/resort .
Definitely, I got lost there and didn't finish the loop. Cost 100 SwFr for a taxi home. A Gps route would have been perfect. Use them all the time hiking. Some parts of PdS are confusing with the trails going all over. Amazing circuit. Need to go back.

amorFati

Booting up
Skier
Eh, you forgot about the other scenario: Synthetic Voice GPS "lady" yelling out of 50 phones every 200 vertical :D

"Turn uphill NOW! Turn uphill NOW!"
Definitely could cause some accidents. And at the trial. Your honor, the GPS told be to turn, I didn't know someone was there. And of course sue the GPS company and probably the ski resort. The normal human drama of course. Someday I need to learn backcountry so I can skip the people at the resort. Of course that is a whole different deal.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
….”rerouting……turn around and side step uphill for 225 feet, then traverse until you reach Bunny Buster.”

”On your current trail you will reach your lodge restroom destination in approximately 12 minutes. There is a 5 minute delay due to an accident on the side of the trail. ”
And if you don't listen and continue...rerouting...in 200 ft send it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Someday I need to learn backcountry so I can skip the people at the resort.

No need to go backcountry. Hang out in the steep, bumps and trees. Guaranteed scud free.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
No need to go backcountry. Hang out in the steep, bumps and trees. Guaranteed scud free.

So when you refer to scuds you're talking about me? Scud yesterday, Scud today, Scud tomorrow, Scud forever!
Actually not offended, I just thought the term was a bit over the top.

Back to the subject at hand, I like trail maps and will miss them. To paraphrase an old saying: As Vail goes, so goes the nation.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
But I'll be there resting... Shred bumps for 300 feet.. rest for 3-4 minutes.. rinse and repeat until the runout..

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So when you refer to scuds you're talking about me? Scud yesterday, Scud today, Scud tomorrow, Scud forever!
Actually not offended, I just thought the term was a bit over the top.

No Jack. You are a good skier to be a scud. Don't think you'll ever qualify. :beercheer:

Scuds are the unguided meat missile commonly found bombing down the groomed runs totally out of control.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But I'll be there resting... Shred bumps for 300 feet.. rest for 3-4 minutes.. rinse and repeat until the runout..

No worries, mate. So long you are not moving you'll not be a hazard to humanity.
Bumps and trees automatically regulate the skier speed.

amorFati

Booting up
Skier
teep, bumps a

Thanks, good advice. Guess I need some lessons. My current preferred domain is black groomers. I struggle in the bumps and trees, but I can take my time. The nature of steeps, I can't take my time there. So I guess more bumps and trees. And here I was worried about an upcoming trip to Steamboat. Now I will have a perfect place to improve my tree skills.

amorFati

Booting up
Skier
Guess I'll be there too. Except resting every 100 feet for me. Maybe if this gets around the bumps might get more crowded. :(

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, good advice. Guess I need some lessons. My current preferred domain is black groomers. I struggle in the bumps and trees, but I can take my time. The nature of steeps, I can't take my time there. So I guess more bumps and trees. And here I was worried about an upcoming trip to Steamboat. Now I will have a perfect place to improve my tree skills.

No worries, mate. Come to the SkiTalk Taos mini-gathering and we'll show you some killer steep bumpy trees. :ogbiggrin:
Guaranteed no crowds in the steep bumpy trees.

amorFati

Booting up
Skier
No worries, mate. Come to the SkiTalk Taos mini-gathering and we'll show you some killer steep bumpy trees. :ogbiggrin:
Guaranteed no crowds in the steep bumpy trees.
Killer would be right. I've been to Taos. There is a reason the ski school is so good. Everyone sees Al's run and heads straight to the ski school. So they get lots of practice. People who aren't good skiers don't survive long at Taos. Reminded me of Verbier, I saw more people on crutches there in one day than I have seen anywhere else in a week. Tells you something. My friend said of Verbier: Everyone talks about Jackson hole and the gondola, but then you go to Verbier and they have sicker terrain and three gondolas that connect in a circle. No comparison. Sounds like I definitely need some lessons to make the jump from stagnant advanced skier to expert. I have been skiing mostly with the kids for the last few years, so I haven't been able to stretch and learn. My son will be better than me this year so that will be good. My wife has found a newfound love of skiing and now wants me to ski with my 8 yr old daughter so she can take my son who won't slow her down. Daughter is not bad but we are stuck on the blues. I like the beer/hot chocolate breaks and stopping at the candy cabin, but it doesn't make me a better skier. Such is life. I love skiing but too many people start taking the fun out of it. I ski frequently at my local Whitetail. I call the main trail down the front the beltway because of the 4 lane traffic. Crowded just like the beltway and about as fun. I usually hide in the black (back) area and try not to go to the front. When the black area gets busy its time to go home. No trees there, but bumps and steep. But not like out west. Guess i need to follow that strategy out west too. Just never connected the dots. I get where I am so tired of the Whitetail crowds I hate going to Copper, Keystone, Breck, Whistler, Jackson, park city or any place that is crowded. I know, rich man's problems. I was in heaven in Big Sky, and Bridger Bowl a couple of years ago. Also loved Telluride, great variety and terrain and no crowds. I love people in measured amounts and in positive situations. Get plowed by scuds and bumping into people on the piste isn't one of those. I'm excited to visit Revy next year for the first time. I'm hoping it will be my nirvana of a great place, lots of my single black trails and few people. Is has that rep and hopefully it delivers.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
As I get older, I am less inclined to try and see things on my phone in the bright sunlight.

As far as where to go to avoid crowds, I've noticed that Blue Mountain Collingwood is quite crowded on weekends, yet late Saturday afternoon, there is almost nobody on the scraped off icy bumps at the north end.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski frequently at my local Whitetail. I call the main trail down the front the beltway because of the 4 lane traffic. Crowded just like the beltway and about as fun. I usually hide in the black (back) area and try not to go to the front.
I try to only ski there on Fridays when I can swing it, and make sure to be there first thing the morning. Sunday mornings can be OK first thing too. Saturdays can be brutal.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Killer would be right. I've been to Taos. There is a reason the ski school is so good. Everyone sees Al's run and heads straight to the ski school. So they get lots of practice. People who aren't good skiers don't survive long at Taos. Reminded me of Verbier, I saw more people on crutches there in one day than I have seen anywhere else in a week. Tells you something. My friend said of Verbier: Everyone talks about Jackson hole and the gondola, but then you go to Verbier and they have sicker terrain and three gondolas that connect in a circle. No comparison. Sounds like I definitely need some lessons to make the jump from stagnant advanced skier to expert. I have been skiing mostly with the kids for the last few years, so I haven't been able to stretch and learn. My son will be better than me this year so that will be good. My wife has found a newfound love of skiing and now wants me to ski with my 8 yr old daughter so she can take my son who won't slow her down. Daughter is not bad but we are stuck on the blues. I like the beer/hot chocolate breaks and stopping at the candy cabin, but it doesn't make me a better skier. Such is life. I love skiing but too many people start taking the fun out of it. I ski frequently at my local Whitetail. I call the main trail down the front the beltway because of the 4 lane traffic. Crowded just like the beltway and about as fun. I usually hide in the black (back) area and try not to go to the front. When the black area gets busy its time to go home. No trees there, but bumps and steep. But not like out west. Guess i need to follow that strategy out west too. Just never connected the dots. I get where I am so tired of the Whitetail crowds I hate going to Copper, Keystone, Breck, Whistler, Jackson, park city or any place that is crowded. I know, rich man's problems. I was in heaven in Big Sky, and Bridger Bowl a couple of years ago. Also loved Telluride, great variety and terrain and no crowds. I love people in measured amounts and in positive situations. Get plowed by scuds and bumping into people on the piste isn't one of those. I'm excited to visit Revy next year for the first time. I'm hoping it will be my nirvana of a great place, lots of my single black trails and few people. Is has that rep and hopefully it delivers.

Skiing with family is good. Then one day the kids will blow pass you and leave you in the dust. A very proud and very sad moment at the same time.
Revy is fun. Lots of decent terrain. Good snow.

Look me up if you hit Taos. I am usually there more often than not.

James

Out There
Instructor
You should go back. They have one style of skiing bumps that is very low impact and can be relatively low energy. Grump taught it to me a few years ago. They didn’t teach it 20 yrs ago when I went to Taos.

It'll get you down those steep bump runs with trees in control. Then want to do it again.

Kids-

Sponsor

Staff online