• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vail Resorts ends printed trail maps at all its locations

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Very true, but it’s likely also part of the zero waste initiative.
I’d like to see tyvek maps sold.

Many younger kids love trail maps. It’s a whole world in their pocket. A phone is not the same. Some who barely speak or have issues will spend an entire break looking at them.

The number of dropped phones under the lift will go up.
Exactly. Never thought of that.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Very true, but it’s likely also part of the zero waste initiative.
I’d like to see tyvek maps sold.

Forget Tyvek. This is the stuff you want

Notice the grades that are already prepared for home inkjet or home laser use.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
We all tell our kids to put the phone away and....
Now we have them outside, doing an activity and now they need to use their phone to find the way. I dont have kids skiing with me anymore, so not an issue for us. We do like our maps though. If it was on syn paper like @cantunamunch mentioned, Id buy a couple.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Couple years ago I saw someone laughing about a couple tourists at Vail arguing about where they were looking at their trail map and trying to figure out the next place to go. They were looking at a Breckenridge map. I don't think the witness told them.. just skied away chuckling..

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
I will say, once they started putting trail maps on the safety bars, I used the paper maps much less.
That's if you have the reading vision to see the #$@%! map on the safety bar. I wear contacts under my goggles, have presbyopia, and can't constantly switch into readers to check a safety bar map.

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
I was trying to remember the last time I actually pulled a trail map out to look at it while skiing.
I tend to look for the big trail map at the top of the lift and get some perspective of where I am.
And I've never found the phone apps to be very useful, in part because I can't see without my reading glasses and in part because it often takes time to load the map.

I think the last time I got a trail map was to take it back to a ski house at the end fo the day to talk over where we were going to ski the next day.
This. Those of us who need readers just look at the big maps. Ditto for using phone apps. Agree that trail maps are more for planning, and a colorful souvenir of where I've enjoyed sking. And boot shims for kids!

amorFati

Booting up
Skier
Skiing with family is good. Then one day the kids will blow pass you and leave you in the dust. A very proud and very sad moment at the same time.
Revy is fun. Lots of decent terrain. Good snow.

Look me up if you hit Taos. I am usually there more often than not.
Thx, but it won't be this year. This year is Steamboat/summit county, Banff/Kicking Horse/Revy, and the SLC four. At least the kids aren't giving me ski tips yet. That will be the salt in the wounds. That low impact mogul technique sounds good. I'll have to study the video. Appreciate it.

TS
jt10000

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Couple years ago I saw someone laughing about a couple tourists at Vail arguing about where they were looking at their trail map and trying to figure out the next place to go. They were looking at a Breckenridge map. I don't think the witness told them.. just skied away chuckling..
I hope you helped out.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Forget Tyvek. This is the stuff you want

Notice the grades that are already prepared for home inkjet or home laser use.
Thanks for the info. I do some artwork that requires printing and this material may be an interesting product for me.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
72A0FDB3-54A0-449E-A94E-A4D106394E32.png
“Wow, so that’s a trail map?”
-Yep
“So much bigger than my phone!”
-No batteries too.
“I wish I had that when I dropped my phone off the lift!”
-These are special son. Can’t find them any more. Pretty soon you’ll be eating insects also.
“Free Range??”
-No, caged.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January