• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vail Town Council Raises Parking Pass Prices

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Vail Town Council met earlier this week to discuss the parking situation, in particular the parking issues during peak days during the ski season. They are recommending a Premier Pass rate of $5,500.00 for the season for guaranteed parking.
I'm trying to sosrt out what the difference is between employee and employee plus.

The memorandum submitted outlines the recommendations here.

Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 9.56.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 9.50.40 AM.png

screen-shot-2022-10-07-at-9-53-34-am-png.179972
Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 9.56.16 AM.png

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I believe the difference is parking in one of the 2 parking garages vs parking at one of the gated lots. I'm not sure if there would be some restrictions attached. People should also be aware of changes to the applicable times are probably happening too.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m probably out of touch with costs these days but doesn’t $5,500 for a season parking pass seem a bit on the high side? I thought Vail Resorts stinging me $750 for a season pass to the PCMR garage was steep but $5,500? Jesus H.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never been to Vail. It seems less likely that I ever will. With parking costs the way they are, is there any reason to actually go there to ski? I understand the back bowls and Blue Sky Basin are nice, but is there really anything there that can't be enjoyed elsewhere, without as much hassle of dealing with crowds, parking, lift lines and overpriced crappy food? I mean I can get all those at Stevens Pass.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m probably out of touch with costs these days but doesn’t $5,500 for a season parking pass seem a bit on the high side? I thought Vail Resorts stinging me $750 for a season pass to the PCMR garage was steep but $5,500? Jesus H.
Keep in mind that its Vail Town Council, not Vail Resorts that is recommending these changes in parking permits and schedules.

This is a killer for ski school employees.
I thought of that too and wondered if the employee parking permit was what they were referring to. Either way, when you're paid the wages the average instructor makes and then are required to pay for parking....yikes.

Perhaps they're trying to encourage public transportation. However, I'm not sure how the PT works for that area.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well, what's it worth to whom... People pay stupid prices for things. See how many passes they sell..

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Keep in mind that its Vail Town Council, not Vail Resorts that is recommending these changes in parking permits and schedules.

I thought of that too and wondered if the employee parking permit was what they were referring to. Either way, when you're paid the wages the average instructor makes and then are required to pay for parking....yikes.

Perhaps they're trying to encourage public transportation. However, I'm not sure how the PT works for that area.
I know several long time ski instructors who are not coming back this year. I was planning on it, but if I have to compete with the public to find a parking spot on peak days, I’m out.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
It's typically a parking strategy to encourage alternative transportation methods.
Opening up employee lots to the public at retail prices does not encourage the public to use public transportation. It captures revenue that is lost to free parking on the frontage road and relegates employees to public transportation, which adds at least an hour to an employe’s day (for which they are unpaid).

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Opening up employee lots to the public at retail prices does not encourage the public to use public transportation. It captures revenue that is lost to free parking on the frontage road and relegates employees to public transportation, which adds at least an hour to an employe’s day (for which they are unpaid).
Yup.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sadly, that's how I read that memorandum. :(

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
You are right. I could spend an extra hour on a bus. Boy, that sounds like fun. :nono:
Meanwhile parking previously reserved for employees will be occupied by the public.
How does that reduce demand?
It simply increases the supply of public pay parking, while eliminating parking reserved for employee.
Genius.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Vail Town Council met earlier this week to discuss the parking situation, in particular the parking issues during peak days during the ski season. They are recommending a Premier Pass rate of $5,500.00 for the season for guaranteed parking.
I'm trying to sosrt out what the difference is between employee and employee plus.

The memorandum submitted outlines the recommendations here.

View attachment 179974 View attachment 179975

screen-shot-2022-10-07-at-9-53-34-am-png.179972
View attachment 179973
It’s not just a recommendation. According to VD, it was approved on Tuesday October 4. :poo:

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, I know. That makes it more surprising. Vail Resorts are legendary for greed beyond the bounds of avarice so one expects it from them. But the Town Council?