• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Val-d'Isère/Tinges & another resort on the way in?

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Hello Folks -

My wife and I are planning our yearly Europe ski trip (well, hopefully we can go this year!) and we will be going to Val-d'Isère/Tinges. However, we plan to extend this trip a few extra days so we are toying with the idea of possibly hitting another resort for a couple days on the way to Val-d'Isère/Tinges.

Has anyone done this and could recommend a a resort in "close" proximity or at least on the way to Val-d'Isère/Tinges? We were thinking perhaps Val Thorens for a few days then making our way to Val-d'Isère/Tinges as the final destination. Thoughts? Is this even worth it?

Thank you!

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Coming from Albertville - and realistically, you are - on your way to Val d'Isère you will pass the following ski areas:

Le Grand Domaine (Valmorel side): https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/le-grand-domaine-valmoreldoucycelliersst-francois-longchamp/
Les Trois Vallées (all villages): https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/les-3-vallees-val-thorensles-menuiresmeribelcourchevel/
Paradiski (La Plagnes & Les Arcs): https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/la-plagne-paradiski/ & https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/les-arcspeisey-vallandry-paradiski/

It is worth it in the sense that it's a different ski area than Tignes. Is it hugely different? Not really. All have similar possibilities and features. Le Grans Domaine is just smaller than 3 Vallées or Paradiski, and the lift network is less fancy. But otherwise, you'll roughly find the same ingredients in all these areas.

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
Why not go for something entirely different and try La Grave. It is next to les 2 alpes IIRC. Not sure about the distances.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
La Grave is a 3 hour drive from Tignes, on the 'wrong' side as well (i.e. not between an airport and Tignes). Moreover, La Grave is off-piste only. Not sure if that's everyone's cup of tea either.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
The closest thing I might actually offer something a bit different would be Montgenevre and the Milky Way, as at least that would offer the possibilities to ski into Italy which is a bit different. But it's not "on the way" and a good 3+ hour transfer in winter

skiace84

Putting on skis
Skier
Access road to La Rosiere/La Thuile is just past Bourg-Saint-Maurice on the road that ends at Val d'Isere/Tignes. And La Thuile is in Italy.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
La Rosière/La Thuile is on the way, you're right. It's not very different though, and to get from the French side to the Italian side a a bitch (super long draglift over the San Bernardo pass).

I just thought of Sainte Foy Tarentaise. Small ski area just before you reach Tignes. Great little area with very nice lift-served off-piste as well.

All other French areas (or Italian, for that matter) are hardly 'on the way' (i.e. more than 2 hours out of the way) and not so different.

@SIMMS7400 where are you traveling from? If Geneva/Annecy, then you might visit Megève first. That's something a lot different from the purpose-built Franch resorts. Much more trees, traditional village (not too shabby either), and a good 4 days of skiing too. That would get you some added value, in the sense that that's the other kind of skiing that France has to offer. Make sure to include Les Contamines as well.

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
It would help if we knew which airport you will be flying to. Options include Lyon and Geneva. Unfortunately, there are no more commercial flights to Grenoble, that I know of. If you are flying to Geneva,you should make a stopover in Chamonix and sample both the Vallée blanche and les Grands Montets.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’d say Les Arcs (Paradise Ski) or La Rosiere. I’d prefer the latter for a more diverse experience.

If you do combine Val D’Isere and chamonix then the easiest thing to do would be to bus to Geneva, and then bus back to Cham. I did it once by train and after leaving first thing from Val we ended up in Chamonix after dark. You do a bus to Bourg St Maurice, train to somewhere, another train to somewhere else, and then a different train into Cham including lugging skis etc across platforms.

For my trip we were actually headed to Courmayeur, so add a taxi through the tunnel as well!

Anyway I wouldn’t do it (Val to Cham). As the crow flies they’re close, but travel time is considerable. There’s also lots of great off piste adventures around Val. Indeed all over the place. Do the tour from Val to Village Roger. The guides will have it on the itinerary.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello Folks -

My wife and I are planning our yearly Europe ski trip (well, hopefully we can go this year!) and we will be going to Val-d'Isère/Tinges. However, we plan to extend this trip a few extra days so we are toying with the idea of possibly hitting another resort for a couple days on the way to Val-d'Isère/Tinges.

Has anyone done this and could recommend a a resort in "close" proximity or at least on the way to Val-d'Isère/Tinges? We were thinking perhaps Val Thorens for a few days then making our way to Val-d'Isère/Tinges as the final destination. Thoughts? Is this even worth it?

Thank you!

I don’t think anyone has asked this yet, but how many ski days do you plan on doing in total? Also, have you ever skied Val and Tignes before?

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
I second @Cheizz’s suggestion about Megève. It’s a gorgeous medieval village and the food and ambience are extraordinary. As you can see on the map, the town can be accessed without much detour on the way to/from Geneva <=> Val d’Isère. On the map I’ve also indicated la Cluzaz as another charming ski town renowned for its food and ambiance which can be similarly accessed on the way to/from Val d’Isère.

83777E40-3964-4EB2-904C-7A67FFED5FCD.jpeg
photo credit: Google Maps

62F2D1BA-B1C2-4E1C-91F0-C7AFDC6E67BA.jpeg
This photo was taken in the central area of Megève... I cannot over emphasize how beautiful the town is. Megève caters to a largely wealthy French clientele; the charm and food are both exceptional.

Last edited:

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
P.S. In my opinion villages like Megève or la Cluzaz would well compliment your trip. This would give you the opportunity to experience both the high-octane excitement of a large, mega-resort such as Tignes-Val d’Isère, as well as the charm of a laid-back Savoyard village. Whereas in Tignes-Val d’Isère you can ski hard, and party harder; in Megève the style is more «doucement le matin, pas trop vite le soir.» That is not to say there is no partying in Megève... I (barely) recall in Megève hitchhiking home in the early morning hours from a late night bar. My walk home would have been a brisk 20-minutes uphill and thumbing a ride was so much more convenient. The French are so sweet when it comes to this type of thing. The driver went completely out of his way. When I realized how inconvenienced he would be, I feigned embarrassment and he made me feel completely at ease and said, “Well of course it is not a problem! You are an American, I need to show you our French hospitality.” Is there anything better than a free ride home in a Range Rover?

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Best is you describe your preferences a bit for proper recommendations. Also assuming you will be flying into Geneva: how is your plan to commute, by bus or rental car?

The experience in Les Arcs and Les Trois Vallees is not far apart from Val but one I would definitely prefer over La Plagne. As some mentioned the Beaufortin resort La Clusaz is a decent contrast to the higher alpine regions mentioned before. Megeve and La Rosiere are resorts well suited for intermediates.

An option would be staying down the valley in Sainte Foy and hit both, L'Espace Killy and Paradiski at gusto.

If you happen to be more accomplished skiers then the detour to Chamonix along with Courmayeur on the southern side is well worth it. In particular the runs from Punta Helbronner down to Courmayeur rival the ones of La Grave. Do yourselves a favor and hire a competent guide though since a considerable portion of those runs are on glaciated terrain.

Last edited:

Sponsor