• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Val d'Isere or Val-Thorens?

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Hi All -

I do have another post out there asking for recommendations for USA, but my wife and I are yearning to get back to the alps after COVID shut down the world. Therefore, we are toying with the idea of doing a France trip. We've skied Zermat, Cervina, St Anton (plus all the villages) so we are now looking to head to the French Alps.

We have our eyes on Val & Val Thorens. Been doing a lot of reading on both and each does have there plusses and minuses but overall, either are a fine choice. Some of the feedback I've been reading is that VT is more for PURE ski vacation while Val has more to do in the evenings/shopping etc. Is that accurate?

It seems like both connect to expansive terrain across different villages which is nice. For those that have been to both, which one would you recommend? Additionally, what do folks suggest for transportation? Due to the amount of snow, I'm assuming most charter a service from the nearest train station?

Thanks, all!!!

glencoe

Booting up
Skier
That’s not a characterisation I’d consider accurate. Both resorts are part of fantastic ski areas and are “ski focused”.

I’d recommend studying the respective piste maps to better understand where you are proposing to stay.

In Val Thorens you are at the top right of an enormous, diverse ski area and at risk of full wind/storm closure. Méribel is an alternative resort near the centre of the area.

In Val D’Isere you are close to the centre of an enormous, diverse ski area with access to lifts that can run even in significant wind conditions.

The easiest transport route to either is probably via Geneva airport. Many transfer companies operate return transfers from there.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
When are you going? I'd struggle to recommend VT in Jan storms but it is possibly the best place in Europe in spring due to altitude.

VT central rec centre/shopping centre is being refurbed (I guess should be done by next winter) but I think it is fair to say it is more purpose built and less a villagey vibe than VDI. The latter does have year round residents though it is a modern village with an emphasis on upmarket lodging and stores.

Either place you are looking at minibus transfer from GVA or train to Moutiers then local bus.

TS
S

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Thanks both, appreciate the feedback! My wife and I always do Europe the first full week in February just prior to school vacation week.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've skied at Val d and been to Val T in July.

Val d. has more charm and beauty going for it.

Flew into Geneva and bussed to Val d. Val T was on a work trip and we actually drove from Paris.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No competition. Val D’Isere. I have skied both, VDI multiple times and VT when staying in Courchevalier and Meribel. VDI is simply a greater diversity of terrain and better located centrally. As others have said, take a coach from GVA, regular services

TS
S

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all! I'm also leaning toward Val D myself. Val D seems as much 'snow sure' as Val T too.

As far as transportation, the thought is to buss all the way from Geneva? Rather than Geneva to St Maurice and then buss from there?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Obviously possible to train to BSM and catch a local bus but don't know how the trains co-ordinate from GVA. seat61.com might be your friend there. The transfer recommendations stem from the fact that there is a fairly established trade in shuttle vans from GVA to the Tarrentaise and therefore is the most frictionless solution if the timings work, bearing in mind they are probably concentrated around weekends in keeping with the traditional European 7 night trip.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
It was another decade, but did both a year apart. We stayed in Val Claret in Espace Killy and Meribel for 3 Vallee. Both for 2 weeks the end of January. We had wind holds and storms in 3-Vallee. You either learned how to ski powder or didn't ski. Follow the orange markers...

But all in all, too many years ago to really add anything current.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
What type of skiing are you into? Both destinations are great, but different (not just the villages and their vibes, but also the ski areas in their lay-out and types of skiing they offer). Maybe nuances rather than differences. But still, good to know what kind of skiing you're looking for.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
TS
S

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Wow, thank you everyone for the feedback. Super helpful! I just booked Val-D!! :)

Now just need to figure out the transfer situation but Swiss Toni included a link so I'll research those options! For the last 7 years that we've been going to Europe for skiing we've been using the train from the airport and making all subsequent connections. The first leg is always fine but then the last leg to the remote town is sometimes unbearable with all your ski equipment and what seems like millions of people on the train. Going to do it right this year and do the private charter and spare ourselves the hassle.

Thanks, all! Any other tips on transfers is greatly appreciated!

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
For Val d'Isère, you can of course book a private transfer. they are pricy, but not a lot of hassle. If you travel by public transport, You'll need a train to Bourg-Saint-Maurice and a public bus service to Val d'Isère from there. Sometimes, there are shuttle services to ski areas as well: a touring car kind of bus that runs three times a day or so from one of the major international airports to the ski areas. They are somewhere in between (both in price and in the amount of hassle).

Sponsor

Staff online