• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Valentino Rossi Retirement Watch

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I don't think HE thinks so!
The only reason I'd like to see him retire is so he could drive WRC full time...

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
1619008313916.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Of course Rossi is far past his prime, but he, more than any other single rider, embodies MotoGP.

Not sure it would be "good" for the sport if he moved on, but my money is on this being his last season.

I was SO hoping for one more win last season.

I remember this same discussion in the dirt bike world year ago. I believe it was Mike LaRocco. His (or whomever's) response was essentially that he was still placing in the top 10, still having fun, and making probably double what he would be pounding nails........

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Should have taken his victory lap last year and called the career. This is hard to watch.

Attachments

• 1619906077303.png
    1619906077303.png
    614.3 KB · Views: 8
TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah..like he's blaming the electronics and rear tire..but..is that because he can't make it through the corner anymore? I dunno...lots ahead of him...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been watching and following this legend since he was 16. IMHO: the GOAT.

But yeah, time to move on. This is painful to watch. Time to sail into the sunset and live happily ever after.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I used to be a lot more interested in motorcycle racing, and I do recall Rossi as being quite impressive. Maybe it was once about how fast you could go around the track. Now it's about being faster than the other racers you can go around the track without cooking the tires, and not so much about how much faster; maybe it's always been that way. In fairness to Rossi, tires have changed. Still, adapt or lose.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Tire wear has been an issue since Suzuki turned up at Daytona with the 1st of the larger capacity Japanese racing, the TR750. Around about 1972. Before that they used to run tires some pre-race laps to feather them in for the race. Art Bauman who took pole that year riding one of those Suzukis got new tires fitted and said he'd feather his in the 1st 100 yards. Those Suzukis were way ahead of tire technology of the time and went through them in a handful of laps.

The tire manufacturers did step up quite quickly. Which is just as well as the the rest of the Japanese bike manufacturers began to put out high horsepower missiles. But for a time anyone riding those things more than earnt their pay.

Since then tires have been a factor. Softer rubber means faster lap times in the early laps and a quicker overall race time. But the tires can go off. Then it's a question of who can best manage the situation.

Probably the worst of it was when selected riders would get custom-built tires based on up to the minute test data specifically for the race. Those select few had the absolute best tires for their bike, riding style, the track and the anticipated weather conditions, made only the evening before. Rossi was one of those riders. Casey Stoner was another - although Stoner wrote in his book that more often than not his Sunday tires were worse then the practice ones. There's more than a hint of favoritism. Later, when Stoner became world champion, Rossi began to complain about the race tires he was getting...

Fortunately the powers that be did away with special tires for select riders so basically all the riders have access to the same rubber.

Been watching and following this legend since he was 16. IMHO: the GOAT.

But yeah, time to move on. This is painful to watch. Time to sail into the sunset and live happily ever after.

Yep, he was a wild child.

The GOAT? Hard to say but he'd have to make the shortlist. Most successful rider and did that with different manufacturers and in very different types of bikes.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tire wear has been an issue since Suzuki turned up at Daytona with the 1st of the larger capacity Japanese racing, the TR750. Around about 1972. Before that they used to run tires some pre-race laps to feather them in for the race. Art Bauman who took pole that year riding one of those Suzukis got new tires fitted and said he'd feather his in the 1st 100 yards. Those Suzukis were way ahead of tire technology of the time and went through them in a handful of laps.

I remember those days. It's funny that Suzuki is now the bike most likely to have the best tires late in the race.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well, it wasn't dominated by tire wear last night in Jerez. But arm pump is now affecting a growing number of riders.

Rossi.... ahhhhhh! When the only guys you beat are the DNFs, a rider who crashed in the race and two others recovering from previous crashes.... idunno.... time to Lorenzo it??

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

Just saying..I can spin the back too...that don't make you fast unfortunately..
And just in case you think I'm not a Rossi fan..VLF!!! :ogbiggrin:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The title always gets me. I never heard of Valentino Rossi watches. Tag, Rolex, Patek Phillipe...not Valentino Rossi let alone their Retirement collection.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Just saying..I can spin the back too...that don't make you fast unfortunately..
And just in case you think I'm not a Rossi fan..VLF!!! :ogbiggrin:

Next 4-5 weeks will tell with 4 events in quick succession. If no signs of pace by Assen be hard to see him getting a ride next season even if he, for some reason, wanted to continue. Right now MotoGP needs the Rossi fan base but no-one is indispensable.

Kudos if you too can spin up the rear at 129mph with your knee on the grass. :toast

Sponsor

Staff online