• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Valentino Rossi Retirement Watch

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I simply said spin the rear! :ogbiggrin: Besides, I'm not the one getting paid $10m to win motorcycle races..

Think it works like this:

1. Spin the rear at 130mph whilst using knee as a grass cutter.

2. Expect job offers.

Believe it's fairly impossible to do it the other way. (Except in F1 if you have very rich parents.) :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Andddd....21 out of 22 in FP2 in Germany...

Tragic.

Several years ago, I was sure that Lorenzo was setting the all-time bar of not knowing when to call it quits.

Apparently not the case.

Hard to see. I'm a huge fan of 46.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interesting race last night. Like to think Marc is back - the result shows his racing 'brain' is back but will have to wait and see how that injury works on tracks that impose more load on it. Sachsenring's almost continuous left corners plus his history there is a sweet spot for him atm.

Several years ago, I was sure that Lorenzo was setting the all-time bar of not knowing when to call it quits.

Apparently not the case.

Hard to see.

Think the situation with Lorenzo was very different. Lorenzo had some big crashes that destroyed his confidence. He continued in the hope that it would all return. It never did and he was way off the pace when he decided he was no longer motivated enough to risk his a$$ at 320 kph waiting for Lorenzo 2015 to re-emerge.

Rossi hasn't had such step change. It's been a gradual decline. And he's not that far off a competitive pace. His lap times during the race were at times competitive with all but the 2 front guys. But 0.6 sec in qualifying is 15 grid positions. Long way behind already. And maintaining the pace for 30 laps must be getting harder. End result is finishing 22 secs behind the winner. (Then again Vinelas was even further back still!)

It must be so tempting for Rossi to think he can bridge the gap. But the calendar always wins in the long run.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Marq is back.
(Photo from the last Moto GP at Indy. I just about got mauled by the crowd).

6E57B11E-F1F1-49C6-B3C9-01CF518D7026.jpeg

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Our little one checking out the latest at the Honda
tent while sporting a Rossi shirt.

1FD1903B-8A6E-426E-9FC7-6517150BB9CB.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Just give him a Rolex Daytona and be done with it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great read, thanks for posting. I suspect there are a lot of examples in the world of motorsport where riders/drivers at the top did not fare well with rules/equipment changes.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Good read.

Interesting perspective although seems a bit of a stretch that a rider who adapted from:
  • 2 stroke 125cc (world champ 1997)
  • 2 stroke 250cc (world champ 1999)
  • 2 stroke 500cc (world champ 2001)
  • 4 stroke MotoGP (world champ 6 times)
The difference between the 500cc 2 strokes and the large capacity MotoGP bikes of 2002 onwards is immense.

He's won world champs for Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha and had a few podiums on a Ducati - all those different brands have different characteristics. He had difficulty adapting to the Ducati - to be fair the only person who did consistently well on those earlier Ducatis was Casey Stoner.

Tending to the view that the younger Rossi would have found a way to ride around his current tire issues.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting perspective although seems a bit of a stretch that a rider who adapted from:
  • 2 stroke 125cc (world champ 1997)
  • 2 stroke 250cc (world champ 1999)
  • 2 stroke 500cc (world champ 2001)
  • 4 stroke MotoGP (world champ 6 times)
Tending to the view that the younger Rossi would have found a way to ride around his current tire issues.

QFT.

Adaptation comes much more slowly, if at all, as you age.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pretty good candidate for GOAT.

He'll be missed but new champions will arise and the show will go on.

Sponsor

Staff online