• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Van Deer/Red Bull and WC Racing

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is like the line in the Meatloaf song-“What’s it gonna be boy??” “VanDeer? Or VanDeer-RedBull?”

-Let me sleep on it.

Maybe RedBull should get into making sure people can actually watch wcup racing in the US. No one, besides possibly a tiny bubble, thinks they suddenly make skis rather than an energy drink. No more than they’d think CocaCola makes skis, if suddenly Coca Cola bought 90% of Kastle.

View attachment 181340
“Get that can off there, we make skis now!”
I've wanted one of these since I first saw it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They seem to be pretty decent at making F1 race cars so dunno...

You mean the F1 cars that had Honda badging, became Red Bull Powertrains, and then got Honda badging again, those F1 cars?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

If Marcel Hirscher comes away with only half of Masashi Yamamoto's whiplash, he'll be doing just fine :D

James

Out There
Instructor
We followed this guy for a while...
EFBE3B4D-5B1F-48DB-9290-F105BFCBC820.jpeg

I see a marketing opportunity for Red Bull.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You mean the F1 cars that had Honda badging, became Red Bull Powertrains, and then got Honda badging again, those F1 cars?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

If Marcel Hirscher comes away with only half of Masashi Yamamoto's whiplash, he'll be doing just fine :D

No I mean the chassis that Adrian Newey creates. If Red Bull can have Newey they can have whomever they need to design and make their skis. Making good skis is piece of cake compared to F1 cars.
Heck, they can even poach Mathieu Fauve, perish the thought!
Point is those dudes are rich beyond belief and if they decide to get serious about something it is only a matter of time before they start collecting medals and world cups left, right and center.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No I mean the chassis that Adrian Newey creates. If Red Bull can have Newey they can have whomever they need to design and make their skis. Making good skis is piece of cake compared to F1 cars.

Ah, fair enough, though that leaves us with needing space for a binding supplier logo :D

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Interesting picture of Hirscher from the 2018 Beaver Creek GS:

Hirscher at Beaver Creek GS 2018.jpeg

Wonder if this is where he learned of Augment and got the Van Deer idea....

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Guy on photo with Augment skis was never Hirscher's coach ;) Slivnik was head coach of Austrian GS team, but that had nothing to do with Hirscher.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
So as we get closer to the end of the WC season, it looks like the Van Deer/Augment skis have gotten on WC podiums several times, on the feet of more than one athlete. Seems like the skis work. Kristoffersen is currently sitting in 3rd place overall, as well as in 2nd place for both GS and SL on the Van Deer/Augment skis....

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So as we get closer to the end of the WC season, it looks like the Van Deer/Augment skis have gotten on WC podiums several times, on the feet of more than one athlete. Seems like the skis work. Kristoffersen is currently sitting in 3rd place overall, as well as in 2nd place for both GS and SL on the Van Deer/Augment skis....
True!

I haven't been following the racing threads because I'm always a week behind and don't like spoilers.

So what is the deal right now? Seems totally crazy to me that a skier like HK has gone an entire successful season using skis with black tape covering the graphics. Talk about a lost opportunity! Is there some kind of internecine battle going on between parties? Seems like it would be a lose-lose-lose situation for all involved.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The reason the Van/Deer skis have tape over the name is that the skis are branded as Red Bull Van Deer. The FIS has some rule about skis being only branded as skis, or companies that make skis, not popular beverages, car manufacturers, banks, etc.. At least that's what I've read elsewhere.

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
Pool fees. Augement is registered and paid, but Van Deer - Redbull isn't. Athletes displaying graphics within the competition and media venue have been threatened with immediate season disqualification.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
The reason the Van/Deer skis have tape over the name is that the skis are branded as Red Bull Van Deer. The FIS has some rule about skis being only branded as skis, or companies that make skis, not popular beverages, car manufacturers, banks, etc.. At least that's what I've read elsewhere.
Then why not Head and Solomon, they make tennis racquets, shoes, etc. Yo me, it just seems like the have a beef with Red Bull, etc they allow their helmets. So why would that be allowed and not skis. Almost all head gear sponsors are not ski related companies. Puchner has waterdrop on her helmet and that's a juiced drink.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Head and Salomon are ski producers. Red Bull is not. And this rule about skis being marketed under ski producer's name is about skis and other equipment (ski jumping excluded) not about other sponsors. All sponsors (personal or team) that are on suits and helmets or any team and racer on WC are not ski or ski gear producers.

James

Out There
Instructor
I mean we could have a Mountain Dew ski and a Bud Light.
I’m not complaining about the rule.

Sponsor

Staff online