• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Van Deer/Red Bull and WC Racing

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I mean we could have a Mountain Dew ski and a Bud Light.
I’m not complaining about the rule.
You asked…
D7AEA9D5-9F4F-4C99-8225-544D8E494506.jpeg
7B36F040-96C3-4AE5-A9CA-17C7EEB9510B.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
0a334400.jpg

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
Head and Salomon are ski producers. Red Bull is not. And this rule about skis being marketed under ski producer's name is about skis and other equipment (ski jumping excluded) not about other sponsors. All sponsors (personal or team) that are on suits and helmets or any team and racer on WC are not ski or ski gear producers.
But Van Dear- Red Bull is a ski manufacturer also.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The reason the Van/Deer skis have tape over the name is that the skis are branded as Red Bull Van Deer. The FIS has some rule about skis being only branded as skis, or companies that make skis, not popular beverages, car manufacturers, banks, etc.. At least that's what I've read elsewhere.

Pool fees. Augement is registered and paid, but Van Deer - Redbull isn't. Athletes displaying graphics within the competition and media venue have been threatened with immediate season disqualification.

Head and Salomon are ski producers. Red Bull is not. And this rule about skis being marketed under ski producer's name is about skis and other equipment (ski jumping excluded) not about other sponsors. All sponsors (personal or team) that are on suits and helmets or any team and racer on WC are not ski or ski gear producers.
Okay. So at bottom the parties that have an interest in keeping the black tape on are the other ski companies who over the years have managed to erect barriers to competition. I get it. Thanks.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Shortly before the GS at Schladming back in January Van Deer-Red Bull announced that they were going use skis without stickers over the logos. When the FIS heard about it Johan Eliasch wrote them a letter informing them that if they raced on skis without covered up logos their athletes risked the immediate withdrawal of their licenses.

The FIS maintains that the skis break the rules “Companies that are not typically engaged in the manufacture of equipment, but produce certain items of equipment primarily for promotional purposes, should not be allowed to claim manufacturer privileges”. The FIS says that this has been made clear to Van Deer-Red Bull Sports in several meetings over the past few months.

It doesn’t seem to have stopped them investing in the racing project, it was stated on Swiss TV today that Van Deer-Red Bull have built 100 pairs of GS skis for Henrik Kristoffersen this season.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Shortly before the GS at Schladming back in January Van Deer-Red Bull announced that they were going use skis without stickers over the logos. When the FIS heard about it Johan Eliasch wrote them a letter informing them that if they raced on skis without covered up logos their athletes risked the immediate withdrawal of their licenses.

The FIS maintains that the skis break the rules “Companies that are not typically engaged in the manufacture of equipment, but produce certain items of equipment primarily for promotional purposes, should not be allowed to claim manufacturer privileges”. The FIS says that this has been made clear to Van Deer-Red Bull Sports in several meetings over the past few months.

It doesn’t seem to have stopped them investing in the racing project, it was stated on Swiss TV today that Van Deer-Red Bull have built 100 pairs of GS skis for Henrik Kristoffersen this season.
Helmets are equipment. Does Barilla make helmets? Silly rule.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's not Barrila that's making or marketing helmet. It's just "helmet sponsor", just like Reifeisen bank, Ochner sport, Red Bull or whatever certain racer is wearing. If you check, you would see that there was no Barilla logo on Shiffrin's helmet at Olympics, but there was Atomic logo on helmet and Oakley logo on goggles, as manufacturer's logos are allowed, sponsors are not.

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
So Red Bull being an Austrian company and having money thinks it can bend the rules.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Red Bull should totally pull an F1 team move and make some CF layups.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Van Deer yes, Red Bull not so much.
Isn't Van Deer as much a brand as Red Bull, or do they have ownership of Augment?

The whole thing seems a joke if ski jumping can have flying billboards. Unless they use a wafer/cocoa construction.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Okay. So at bottom the parties that have an interest in keeping the black tape on are the other ski companies who over the years have managed to erect barriers to competition. I get it. Thanks.
Every run by Kristoffersen, the commentators haved talk about the black sticker on the skis. Not just at Sölden, but throughout the season. When he put down that second run at Adelboden, German TV spent about a third of it talking about the skis and how he was doing with them blablaba, Then Odermatt went one better. Did they mention Stöckli? Did they fuck.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Isn't Van Deer as much a brand as Red Bull, or do they have ownership of Augment?

The whole thing seems a joke if ski jumping can have flying billboards. Unless they use a wafer/cocoa construction.
Van Deer is, based on my knowledge, company which makes skis as their core business. Red Bull, at least from what I know, was more into something else then ski manufacturing as their core business. But then again, I really don't care, so I honestly don't care if Red Bull is on topsheet of skis or not. FIS has rules like they have (also nothing I would care about or have anything to do with), and if someone feels like their bull belongs on topsheet, they should solve this with FIS. What I think about this is completely irrelevant.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just say no to Red Bull…

Do any of their athletes actually drink the stuff?

Sponsor