• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vehicular biking - 2018

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I occasionally peruse the Road and Mountain bike threads but cannot relate at all, so I was about to start a BIKE COMMUTING thread, but you beat me too it @jmeb!!! Bike Commuters Unite!

If I lived in Colorado or some other mountainous region I am 100% sure I'd be into Mountain biking. One can dream ...
I am an avid bike commuter though. I ride to work and around town pretty much everyday, year round. The only exceptions are if there's torrential rain or if there's ice on the roads.

Here's my trusty steed:
IMG_7604.JPG

I don't know much about it other than it's a Charge Plug. I have a hard time keeping track of time/years gone by. I'd estimate it's about 5-7 years old? It's my 2nd city bike. The first was a green Mercier Kilo TT with purple grips. I called it "Hulk"...Don't have a name for this guy.

Over time, parts have been changed. This bike came with bullhorn bars, which I immediately swapped out for the ones in the picture. Last year I treated myself to a new Brooks Cambium saddle. The round thing that the pedals are connected to was changed out a couple years ago. I was sideswiped by a big rig last year(?). Luckily I got off my bike right before the truck yanked my bike out of my hands. As a result my back wheel and front fork were bent, so those are also new-ish.

I've only quickly scanned the vehicular manslaughter thread...The general subject strikes home. Thankfully neither I or my biking friends have had near fatal accidents riding in the city, but some have come close....All I can say is that I really despise the NYPD mainly due to my numerous interactions with them - all biking related. They are extremely anti-bike. Why?? Cars get away with everything in this city. It sucks.

I look forward to sharing more on this thread...I'll start taking pics of all the gnarly terrain I hit! Ha.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Pumba -- riser bars and cambrium saddle -- perfect little urban steed.

As for cops -- my experience is that cops who have had a bike patrol in their time are far more understanding of cyclists. Those who have not tend to be less sensitive to non-car ways of being on the street.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Is that a porteur rack or just stays to support the basket?

Is a Soma Mini front rack with a Wald zip-tied to it. Inexpensive version of classic old front racks. Ideal for a big handlebar bag or basket.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Here's my trusty steed:
View attachment 47535

I don't know much about it other than it's a Charge Plug. I have a hard time keeping track of time/years gone by. I'd estimate it's about 5-7 years old? It's my 2nd city bike. The first was a green Mercier Kilo TT with purple grips. I called it "Hulk"...Don't have a name for this guy.

Barney comes to mind...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Why Barney? In the beginning I was thinking "Casper" or "Ghost" but didn't want the connection to Ghost Bikes which are very real and all over the city.

latest

You grips are purple if I see the photo properly.

ogsmile

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There was a ghost bike up on the Side Door trail for a few years. Ghost bikes are sad to see. The good in this one was it was natural causes and he was MTB racing. A thing he loved. I can only guess the ones you see are due to more tragic circumstances.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was just getting ready to give you credit for easily the wittiest remark made in Cycling this week.

Your moniker works as a double joke allusion to 'Fred' cyclists and the Flintstones, spun into a compliment.

As in "Sure it's prehistoric technology, and a utility bike, but the guy who rides it really isn't a Fred"

:hail::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::roflmao::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap: :hail:

But then I see

You grips are purple if I see the photo properly.

and it all goes :facepalm::philgoat::facepalm:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks :ogcool:, and darn :(. I wish I was that sharp and witty.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I commute to work as much as possible on my bike, a 2017 Trek Crockett 5 cyclocross bike. I've swapped out and upgraded to some carbon wheels, 11-32 cassette, and a carbon seat post. It has pretty much become the perfect bike to me, its a joy to ride, light, fast, nimble, and comfortable. I hate the look of fenders so riding in the rain kinda sucks, but I'll deal with it so my bike can keep looking wicked awesome.

The first 6 miles of my 10mile commute is on a 50mph road that has about a 3 inch wide shoulder. I run a super bright tail light and a 400 lumen front light at all times when riding in addition to wearing bight fluorescent colors.. I try my best to be visible and not get hit by a car.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Further up in this thread people were talking about their preferred hauling system. I'm a backpack person. I tried a messenger bag, but didn't like how it slid around sometimes and the weight distribution was not even. I had panniers for a second, but didn't like the uneven weight distribution, plus I think it might be harder to get through tight spaces, i.e. traffic. The downside of backpacks is the BACK SWEAT, but I always ride in a bike shirt and change when I get in. In fall and winter back sweat is not an issue.

My bike shirts are a collection of soccer jerseys and some merino wool t-shirts. I'll use one for the week, but if it's a really sweaty week, I'll swap them out every few days. Today I wore my Messi Argentina jersey to get into the spirit of the World Cup. Wearing the soccer jerseys also tends to illicit fan reactions and even starts conversations..... Today someone yelled MESSI!!!! really loud at me. One time the Messi jersey got me into a convo with another biker about FC Barcelona and we rode side by side talking for a few blocks.....My Mexico jersey is probably the most popular. I get a lot of cheers from construction workers and MTA maintenance people. In the height of the nasty muggy summer, I also wear shorts and change when i get to work. Gosh...this is really making me dread summer. Sometimes I'll arrive at work looking as if I've just stepped out of the shower. Thankfully I work in an extremely casual office and we have a shower if I'm inclined....Boy, what a tangent!

Anyway, back to the backpacks. If anyone is considering a commuting backpack, I have 2 suggestions. I had this one for years and years:

https://banjobrothers.com/collections/cycling-backpacks/products/canvas-commuter-backpack-waterproof

THE GOOD:
• simple, very large main compartment
• 2 large side pockets
• reflectors on straps and on the back
• economical

THE BAD:
• the waterproof liner inside easily split. I complained once and they sent me a new one, but the same thing happened shortly after i received it. You can purchase new liners for 10 dollars. In my opinion, they are not constructed well.
• i am super hard on all my stuff and eventually, my u-lock wore holes into the side pockets. eventually i just cut the pockets off, since they had such big holes in their corners.
• i stopped using the liner because it was a bit restrictive/was falling apart. I used this pack to haul up to 20lb CSA veggie hauls....over the years, the seams at the bottom of the main compartment started to come apart.

Overall, I'd still recommend this bag for a simple and affordable option. I'm also extra hard on my stuff, so perhaps it would last longer for someone else.

I've since upgraded to this snazzy bag (It was my Christmas present):

https://missionworkshop.com/collections/backpacks/products/the-rambler

THE GOOD:
• the fit is AMAZING. The design of the back and straps is great. The way it sits on the back is just so comfortable. I don't feel any seems or bag structure.
• it looks sharp and is obviously constructed of the best/strongest materials

THE BAD:
• the main compartment is too slim/narrow. If I need to haul anything large, I need to open up the expandable part.
• only one small exterior pocket. It's very well placed, but it's small. I would have really loved an easily accesable large pocket or strap system for my lock. It's kind of a pain to have to store my lock in one of the interior compartments...The more expensive models have more pockets.
• expensive

Overall, I'm extremely happy with this bag aside from the little peeves above. My CSA starts today so I'll start using the expandable section and hauling real weight in it today. If anything changes over time, I'll update this.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This is my around town single speed bike. Sometimes I use it a bit, other times I don't.

20180615_170329_Silverthorne Lane.jpg

It carries open top panniers on the rack and has a set of Hakka studded snows for when I choose to ride in winter. Which is not at all lately, but it was a commuter bike in the true sense for a year or two in another millenium. Rain and snow. Sun and moon. At that time it was 21 speed, IIRC and had an interesting integrated horn style bar.

All it needs now is a kickstand.