• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Verdict in LeMaster Killing

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not a day in jail? Wow. That might send a message to other skiers and snowboarders... that there are no rules. Without all of the facts, a long sentence is not something I would be in favor of. But this sentence is one you would see for holding an illegally ID.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
He probably had something to hide, what that is, I do not know. I found his place of residence as registered on voterrecords. I assume he scrubbed his online prescence or just doesn't use the internet enough. The name that pops up through a rudimentary google search is not him; that one's middle name is Aaron.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Affluenza on full display here. Nothing else to add..
You’re right, but there is more to add. It’s almost as if the major resorts are in cahoots to avoid any attribution of liability for even the most egregious behavior. “What, us? Skiing can be dangerous? Not at all, nothing to see here. You want us actually to do something?” It really wouldn’t be all that hard to enforce a reasonable and safe standard of conduct but Vail, Alterra et al won’t do it. Why not? Because there is no liability for them the way things are, because it would piss off some element of their customer base and because it might cost them some trivial amount to do it.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Not a day in jail? Wow. That might send a message to other skiers and snowboarders... that there are no rules. Without all of the facts, a long sentence is not something I would be in favor of. But this sentence is one you would see for holding an illegally ID.
Well yeah, you can do anything you want, so long as you kill all the witnesses and don't get caught . :rolleyes:
That being said, we don't have all the facts of the case; we don't know if they collided into each other with neither one being "ahead".

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That being said, we don't have all the facts of the case; we don't know if they collided into each other with neither one being "ahead".
We do have the facts, they're in another thread here. 100% on the snowboarder..

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Well yeah, you can do anything you want, so long as you kill all the witnesses and don't get caught . :rolleyes:

Based on what I know - LeMaster was ahead, was doing lane changes. Snowboarder came in from above screaming "On your left!"

Lane changes are a part of many PSIA tests (depending in division and level). I wonder how this will affect testing, and if will now occur in a closed course?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Based on what I know - LeMaster was ahead, was doing lane changes. Snowboarder came in from above screaming "On your left!"

Lane changes are a part of many PSIA tests (depending in division and level). I wonder how this will affect testing, and if will now occur in a closed course?
Well if we have enough witnesses to establish those facts, this is a miscarriage of justice.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
That may be an appropriate penalty for leaving the scene of an accident, but if the facts can be established that he was clearly at fault (hit the skier ahead), by witness, then he should be charged with manslaughter. That's like if 20 people saw me run over a couple of cyclists on the side of the road, and I only got charged with leaving the scene. Maybe a special prosecutor with no ties to the accused needs to be appointed?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
We do have the facts, they're in another thread here. 100% on the snowboarder..

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for the link.

“Based on a complete review of the evidence in this case, the District Attorney’s Office does not believe there is enough evidence to establish the requisite mens rea (a defendant’s intention to commit a crime). Therefore, we cannot charge Mr. Martinez with homicide-related charges as there is no reasonable likelihood of success at trial. The series of events on November 30, 2021 that led to the death of Ronald LeMaster are horribly tragic, and while homicide-related charges are not appropriate, we acknowledge the immense loss suffered by the family and friends of Mr. LeMaster.”

Isn't that what manslaughter is all about??? Are things different in Colorado? If I kill someone walking down the sidewalk because I lost control of my car doing 180 in a 30 mph zone and leave the scene I get leaving the scene only??

“Martinez said as he was coming down the left side of the run, he could see LeMaster in front of him weaving back and forth in the center of the run,” according to the report. “Martinez said as he was getting closer to LeMaster, LeMaster took a sharp turn and began coming towards the left side of the run. Martinez (stated) he began yelling 'Left, left, left' attempting to let LeMaster know he was on the outside of the run. Martinez said he was unable to avoid the collision with LeMaster and their heads collided.”

Lock him up! If you can't lock him up for involuntary manslaughter and criminal wrecklessness then Colorado needs a new law.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
"But because no one saw Martinez snowboarding out of control, and he didn’t admit to being out of control, and investigators couldn’t determine if he was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, prosecutors couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Martinez was guilty of manslaughter, Deputy District Attorney Alison Brand wrote on April 20."

Martinez was there and he said he could not avoid the skier ahead when the skier made a left turn. He admitted it. How many more witnesses do you need!

Sponsor