• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Vermont Travel Restrictions

Codger

Booting up
Skier
It seems vermont will be issuing a weekly map of adjoining states divided into counties. If your county is red or yellow by vermont standards a traveler needs to have quarantined for 14 days and have a negative covid test. This doesn’t seem to bode well for day trippers since it appears you would need to meet those requirements before each trip to vermont.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I understand what and why they are doing this but it does not bode well for skiing this winter if you are in a red area. I guess the few that make it will have the mountains to themselves.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
There is discussion on various Facebook ski groups regarding this topic, mainly centering around "who would enforce it"?

Sure, hotels, etc. could ask if you've followed the restrictions... But there are plenty of people who have gone to Vermont this summer, and Vermont's numbers have remained low.

I think that some people will go anyway and / or Vermont will ease the restrictions somewhat.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well it’s been up all summer and restaurants have been filled with non compliers.

I think that some people will go anyway and / or Vermont will ease the restrictions somewhat.
There were 18 hockey players in VT from one group who were positive last week.
Right now there’s three counties in VT that don’t meet green levels. Since they’re blue, it’s ok.
Crayons come in handy!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll comply with the restrictions, even if it means skiing in western MA this year. Ignoring the state mandates isn't the right thing to do when you ski with your 15 y.o. son.

I expect NH and VT will have banner snow years with many powder days while I'll be exploring Berkshire East :doh:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
There aren't New Hampshire restrictions are there?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There aren't New Hampshire restrictions are there?

I just assumed there would be. If they don't then we'll hit the NH resorts. At this point I'm pretty sure I'll be deferring our Ikon passes to next year.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
"Live Free or Die" is their motto.

James

Out There
Instructor
NH was the first place I read about people suing the governor over restrictions. It was mid March.
Exponential growth is a tough concept.

From their lawsuit-
—————————-
“Presently, many more people die from, are diagnosed with, or hospitalized with the flu, etc. than Covid 19. The numbers aren’t even close. New Hampshire has had just 17 people diagnosed with Covid, and ZERO deaths. In a state of over 1 million people, those numbers alone make it clear this is not an emergency.’”
————————————

There’s a tidbit in there about their lawyer who was guilty of extortion in 2009. Priceless.

Last edited:
TS
Codger

Codger

Booting up
Skier
There is discussion on various Facebook ski groups regarding this topic, mainly centering around "who would enforce it"?

Sure, hotels, etc. could ask if you've followed the restrictions... But there are plenty of people who have gone to Vermont this summer, and Vermont's numbers have remained low.

I wonder if the state police will stop by plates?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I wonder if the state police will stop by plates?

No, they will not. Or at least they have not yet. It's a tough situation because we have had these rules all year and it's been obvious that many people are ignoring it. Hotels and the like are supposed to enforce it. Resorts probably are too, but it will be hard. How would they do it? Restrict you by your billing zip code? People really have been quarantining here since March, so they won't have VT zp codes. We know others will drive up on Friday night and say they've been her for two weeks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We know others will drive up on Friday night and say they've been her for two weeks.
Can't they be required to provide documentation like a hotel/AirBnB bill to prove they are not lying? I suppose they could say they were at a family member's house but still would be required to provide that info and verifiable contact info for that.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
No, they will not. Or at least they have not yet. It's a tough situation because we have had these rules all year and it's been obvious that many people are ignoring it. Hotels and the like are supposed to enforce it. Resorts probably are too, but it will be hard. How would they do it? Restrict you by your billing zip code? People really have been quarantining here since March, so they won't have VT zp codes. We know others will drive up on Friday night and say they've been her for two weeks.
ehhh ... we have had field staff pulled over multiple times this summer/fall in VT for no other reason than "have MA plates and want to make sure you're supposed to be here" (we are essential workers and have confirmed with state authorities that travel and lodging is permissable under current guidelines)

Also had staff turned away from hotels, even though they are essential, bc had not quarantined 14 days.

Things that have been clear:
* understanding of the regulations is inconsistent, even amongst those you'd hope would understand them (e.g., law enforcement, lodging operators)
* enforcement is inconsistent
* contingency plans are a good idea

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been monitoring the VT website and we've lost our "safe" green rest stops for our drive from SE PA to Killington. We could have quarantined for 7 days at home, taken a test, and drove to our condo. Not now. So we will need to load up on essentials here and quarantine for 7 days there, then take the test. Or just wait 14 days. We can do this as soon to be retired skiers, and will likely only ski the weekdays, but I feel for the responsible weekend warriors.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll comply with the restrictions, even if it means skiing in western MA this year.

This is where I come down except in my case it will be the Pocono's and that's if I can get over to PA. Currently travel to any state is not recommended including Pa. Vermont, (because of their rules) Colorado and Utah my ski destinations are all on NJ's bad list. My employer also wants to know where I'm going and could force me to quarentine if they felt it was necessary A total NJ shutdown is not out of the equation either. It's not that I feel so much that the NJ gov knows what they are doing but when they issue a warning I will adhere to it. Sitting here watching and will wait to do anything with my Ikon till things clear up.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At least we can get lawsons at the local beer store now. Vermont has a good policy but its doubtful many will comply. How about the superspreder visiting multiple restaurants in Seabrook area?

We are a green town in a county full of yellow and red but it is a fragile greeness. We complied 9o% - i still have a 5 pack of unused mtb tickets, stayed away from restaurants, did go to stores but not recklessly. No hotels or camping. Didnt go to VT at all. My wife is tested biweekly so we have that going for us. Interesting living in an experiment.

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier
It's getting bad again. By and large, Vermonters are complying with social distancing and mask advice and the numbers reflect this compliance. By far the lowest infection rate in the nation. So, it's understandable that Vermonters look to their neighbors (NH, MA), see an absolute shitshow, and get agitated at tourists. This is not about skiing or beer tourism; it's about their health and safety and that of their families. We know plenty of people that are part-timers that come up from MA/CT/NY/NJ that have not quarantined and go to the store, go out to restaurants, etc. This means we cannot safely do these same things. I can't see how the ski season survives simply because people will not follow the rules. I've been training extra hard so that I can ski by earning my turns this year.

That hockey breakout was caused by 1 kid going to a tournament in MA and refusing to quarantine upon his return. He spread the virus to all of his teammates even though he was asymptomatic. It happens just like that...

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I expect NH and VT will have banner snow years with many powder days while I'll be exploring Berkshire East :doh:

My skiing is almost exclusively day trips - usually to southern NH. But I discovered Berkshire East last season and will definitely be going back. I believe I might try out some other western MA areas as well. I guess I'll probably skip the occasional weekend in VT this year.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid