• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Vermont Travel Restrictions

jmsjms

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
+1 to @Rudi Riet 's comments, but lodging in Stowe isn't really that out of line compared to Burlington. There are stupid expensive places, but there are budget options as well.

Smuggler's Notch is a short hop away from Stowe -- in the summer. The road between them is closed in the winter. If you're in Stowe, Smugg's is about an hour away. If you're in Burlington, both Stowe and Smuggs are about an hour away.
KevinF, on google map I am seeing that Stowe and Smuggler's Notch are 5-10000 feet away from each other (on road 108). Am I seeing wrong: How can they be an hour away distance from each other? If there is a daily bus from Burlington then that would be great.... Or even if there is no daily bus from Burlington, and if I stay there at some cheap place, I would still be interested in a local bus so that I don't have to deal with a rental car from the Burlington airport.

jmsjms

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Either way, with the quarantining regulation I am about ready to give up on this Vermont idea and look elsewhere. It looks like flying to Salt Lake City has no quarantining regulations.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
EricG, you were joking.

not really. I know of 1 family planning to quarantine in Burlington in January then ski for a for 2-3 weeks before going back to PA. Another family freind works from home in NJ, he uses NetJets to fly to Stowe-Morrisville airport when he brings the family up, I used to keep his SUV at my house when he wasn’t going to be up for a month or more.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Ogg beat me to it.

It has been a while since I traveled in VT to ski but maybe this:?

Note: The historic Smugglers' Notch Pass, on Route 108 between Stowe and Jeffersonville, is CLOSED FOR WINTER TRAVEL from mid-October through mid-May and is closed to motorcoaches, motorhomes and commercial vehicles year round.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The same problem occurs with the closing of Indy Pass in CO. "What do you mean I can't drive from Copper to Aspen through Leadville?"

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The same problem occurs with the closing of Indy Pass in CO. "What do you mean I can't drive from Copper to Aspen through Leadville?"
One of the lodging search engines was offering hotels in Crested Butte as an alternate for Aspen. Which of course is something like a 4 hour drive in winter. I was talking to a local who said he can ski tour from Aspen to Crested Butte in about the same time it takes to drive there.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of the lodging search engines was offering hotels in Crested Butte as an alternate for Aspen. Which of course is something like a 4 hour drive in winter. I was talking to a local who said he can ski tour from Aspen to Crested Butte in about the same time it takes to drive there.
"Quicker on skis" may also apply on Smuggs to Stowe; I haven't done it, but I think I know people who have. If you had lift access on both sides and didn't need to be on the other side before first chair, I think it would be pretty easy.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"Quicker on skis" may also apply on Smuggs to Stowe; I haven't done it, but I think I know people who have. If you had lift access on both sides and didn't need to be on the other side before first chair, I think it would be pretty easy.

It might be a thin cover right now.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier

Stowe to Smuggs is 20 minutes down the Long Trail from top of Spruce. Easy.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Yeah, Stowe to Smuggs on skis is pretty straightforward. Many moons ago each side would give you one free ride back up so that you could get back, but that practice has long been discontinued. That’s how I got my one-and-only Smuggs ski experience. Heck, they used to run a snow cat between them until apparently the cat sunk into the lake.

Not much point in doing it now unless you have a lift pass to both locations.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister

Ha! I had to look this up on Google Maps. I thought Crested Butte and Aspen were nowhere near each other but they’re apparently pretty close— as the crow flies. Who knew?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
KevinF, on google map I am seeing that Stowe and Smuggler's Notch are 5-10000 feet away from each other (on road 108). Am I seeing wrong: How can they be an hour away distance from each other? If there is a daily bus from Burlington then that would be great.... Or even if there is no daily bus from Burlington, and if I stay there at some cheap place, I would still be interested in a local bus so that I don't have to deal with a rental car from the Burlington airport.

Its would be easier to rent a car unless you pay to be in the village but who knows what deals are around. We found the best western in waterbury to be comfortable.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ha! I had to look this up on Google Maps. I thought Crested Butte and Aspen were nowhere near each other but they’re apparently pretty close— as the crow flies. Who knew?
They have a mt bicycle race from CB to Aspen: http://cbklunkers.com/ It has been around practically longer than mountain bikes.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Its would be easier to rent a car unless you pay to be in the village but who knows what deals are around. We found the best western in waterbury to be comfortable.

The Best Western in Waterbury is nice although it is pricy; there are definitely cheaper alternatives in Stowe village. Commodore Inn and the Snowdrift come to mind. Waterbury is nice though if you’re splitting time between Stowe, Bolton and the Mad River Valley.

Also, God help you with getting up the Best Western’s hill during inclement weather, especially in a rental car with suspect tires.

James

Out There
Instructor
In Stowe that Alpen Haus? (Vaguely Austrian, been there forever, and hasn’t been renovated since keeping it reasonable) On the access road pretty far up, was decent if you don’t need posh.
It has an outdoor balcony that I think you can at least exit the room from if not also enter. Assuming you’re on the 2nd floor. I believe some first floor have direct to outside entry.
The breakfast was pretty good, but the dining room is so small I wouldn’t do it now. Maybe they’d do pickup or room service.