• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Vermont Travel Restrictions

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lol our friends were going to use our place in Maine to get away from the kids for the weekend but we just got the advisory. I still would have gone a quarantine and wood stove on a wife's birthday couldn't be that bad.

Maine reinstated the negative test within 72 hours or 2 week solitary. Not too bad and is probably a good idea. Time to wax the xc skis get some at bindings and some ice fishing traps.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maine reinstated the negative test within 72 hours or 2 week solitary. Not too bad and is probably a good idea. Time to wax the xc skis get some at bindings and some ice fishing traps.

Testing within 72 hours is a sane and reasonable policy. Heck, use some tourism marketing dollars to subsidize testing. For example, book Maine lodging and get a coupon for $25 off the costco PCR test.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Testing within 72 hours is a sane and reasonable policy. Heck, use some tourism marketing dollars to subsidize testing. For example, book Maine lodging and get a coupon for $25 off the costco PCR test.

Children are exempt and my wife is tested at work. Now that we have instant antigen tests available we should be in good shape. If i happen to not feel well my insurance should cover the cost of the test. Maybe i will gjve myself a $500 deductible to feel better about it. Problem solved!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
As I was digging for info on VT state aid to ski areas, I found this:

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/ski-area-recreation-safety-grants

Apparently VT gave the ski areas money to create new covid-safer infrastructure....that they now may not let them use.

the grant $ is to be used to reimburse $ spent on infrastructure. Just send to send in invoices/incurred exp (I think it’s 5 or 10 exp per request) soon so the $ can be disbursed.

resorts will be open in some form. People may not like it though. Just the way life is..

Last edited:

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vermont's resident population makes up a very small percentage of the customer base. Reduce by 50-90 percent the revenue of a 1.5 billion dollar seasonal industry and you will have many bankruptcies, most all will be small and family owned.
Vermont must be confident they can fund a massive bailout program for its independently owned lodges, restaurants, and ski areas.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just don't understand VT restrictions. For safety, they should require a mandatory negative test after a three day or week quarantine like they currently do so that folks see a reasonable path to ski VT. Insisting on a two week quarantine without a test just invites cheating by visitors AND locals who leave the state.

And VT is no longer special, they are mostly red on their travel restrictions map, which shows that their current rules didn't work.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vermont has the lowest per capita Covid rate in the US and wants to keep it that way.
Bankrupting many of its ski related businesses may be the collateral damage.

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
I agree, and the use of rapid antigen tests on-site, would also be another option. However, I doubt that it would be feasible to get the test machines into the hands of lodging or even distributed enough thru the state to really include a negative antigen test as a screen. I can't imagine that the ski industry and state did not consider this option....

For detail, they are currently approved for screening tests:

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vermont has the lowest per capita Covid rate in the US and wants to keep it that way.
Bankrupting many of its ski related businesses may be the collateral damage.

Maine’s news case rate is now lower than VT’s on a per capita basis, but VT is still pretty close to the most favorable number on that basis, albeit with a new case rate and positive test rate that is approx in line with where NY was 2 weeks ago.

Where VT doesn’t look good is the infection rate. At 1.46 today, it is currently the highest infection rate of any state in the country, and indicates that the new positive case rate and the total number of infections are going to continue to increase more quickly than surrounding states.

VT’s policies are no longer working, and visitors entering from other states in the region are not the problem. The issues seem to be more likely related to locals becoming complacent, possibly because they felt safe in a state where (at the time) the positive case numbers were slightly better than surrounding states.

The damage being done to VT’s tourism and ski industries this winter is unnecessary. A more measured approach (like Maine’s) to people wanting to enter from out of state appears to be a better solution to protecting residents, while not completely decimating some of VT’s most important industries.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yet another article about VT's ski season.

Very similar to the NY Times article Eric posted earlier. One thing is both stress new quarantining rules implemented November 10. The only new thing implemented is that everyone from out of state has to go through the 14 day quarantine at home or 7 days and a negative test result. Previously, certain counties in the northeast were exempt if they had low enough case rates. However this mostly applied to very rural counties and did not include the major population centers around Boston and NYC.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I work in Healthcare in VT. Our low numbers are a result of our Health Commissioner Mark Levine, working closely w/ Gov Scott to assess and manage a changing environment. Their adaptability has been their strength as Govt in general is a slow moving behemoth. Of course mistakes have been made, but for the most part they have nailed it compared to the rest of the country. I applaud their strategic approach as I applaud our non-profit in particular for being an overall leader in maintaining a "Safety First" profile.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I work in Healthcare in VT. Our low numbers are a result of our Health Commissioner Mark Levine, working closely w/ Gov Scott to assess and manage a changing environment. Their adaptability has been their strength as Govt in general is a slow moving behemoth. Of course mistakes have been made, but for the most part they have nailed it compared to the rest of the country. I applaud their strategic approach as I applaud our non-profit in particular for being an overall leader in maintaining a "Safety First" profile.

Does VT publish community level data or just by county?

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
There's no way around it. COVID is everywhere and people get it from being exposed to others that wear poorly constructed, poorly fitted, poorly worn, or not wearing masks. It's that simple. We are relying on the people and community around us to not be idiots, and as you can see from the spread, there are idiots everywhere.

I would imagine there are days in VT where skiing won't be a big deal, because there won't be crowds. In fact, maybe even days that are amazing because there won't be crowds. But on the flip side, there will be days that are super sketchy and annoying and complicated with reservations systems, long lines, slow lifts, etc. It's not ideal for day travelers, weekenders, and holiday skiers, and that will be a lot of lost revenue.

The only way the mountains are going to make it safe is by limiting the number of people there, enforcing mask wearing rules, and closing all the places where people can congregate.

At this point the state of VT can't afford to do anything more than they are doing, certainly not anything that would be logistically realistic (like testing each person that arrives at the mountain), let alone economically (like banning everyone outside of VT).

après ski is done. Putting boots on inside in the warmth or sitting down, not happening. Adapt or don't ski. Support your local mountains and ski local if you can.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yet another article about VT's ski season.

Very similar to the NY Times article Eric posted earlier. One thing is both stress new quarantining rules implemented November 10. The only new thing implemented is that everyone from out of state has to go through the 14 day quarantine at home or 7 days and a negative test result. Previously, certain counties in the northeast were exempt if they had low enough case rates. However this mostly applied to very rural counties and did not include the major population centers around Boston and NYC.
Right, there’s been little change. Someone who has a VT condo texted me the NY Times article and acted like it was a surprise. There’s been little change except there were counties south over the summer that were green. Now there’s none.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Right, there’s been little change. Someone who has a VT condo texted me the NY Times article and acted like it was a surprise. There’s been little change except there were counties south over the summer that were green. Now there’s none.

Exactly. I visited VT in the summer when there was much fewer cases and the exact same rules were being followed.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does VT publish community level data or just by county?
W/in a 24 hr period, our community level data tends to be a bit more sporadic and travels by "word of mouth" since that method remains a valuable resource w/in our tiny enclaves. I'm in Caledonia County. When there is an uptick in numbers ( again w/in 24 hrs) word travels fast locally as to where the breach happens especially w/in our clinical employee diaspora.

After that 24 hr cycle, pretty much any mainstream news outlet up here will have the all local info surrounding a community outbreak of the day by the time it makes the 6pm news. VT is so small that it seems as though the larger media outlets coordinate carefully w/ the local media, and government and our hospitals and clinics. I've never witnessed a more coordinated media/Govt/Healthcare choreography on a statewide level. From a Healthcare standpoint it's actually "beautiful" to watch.... I say that w/ a careful focus on the positive results of the dance but w./ an eye towards respecting the suffering of so many.

Sponsor

Staff online