• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Vermont Travel Restrictions

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
W/in a 24 hr period, our community level data tends to be a bit more sporadic and travels by "word of mouth" since that method remains a valuable resource w/in our tiny enclaves. I'm in Caledonia County. When there is an uptick in numbers ( again w/in 24 hrs) word travels fast locally as to where the breach happens especially w/in our clinical employee diaspora.

After that 24 hr cycle, pretty much any mainstream news outlet up here will have the all local info surrounding a community outbreak of the day by the time it makes the 6pm news. VT is so small that it seems as though the larger media outlets coordinate carefully w/ the local media, and government and our hospitals and clinics. I've never witnessed a more coordinated media/Govt/Healthcare choreography on a statewide level. From a Healthcare standpoint it's actually "beautiful" to watch.... I say that w/ a careful focus on the positive results of the dance but w./ an eye towards respecting the suffering of so many.

So they don't publish community level data rather it is disseminated through the media and word of mouth?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So they don't publish community level data rather it is disseminated through the media and word of mouth?
Lots of variables to that equation depending on the timeframe you are referencing. I'm attempting to paint a much more fluid picture of how it works and how we adapt and the different modes of communication available like intra/inter, clinic/hospital/media/govt. It all works together and there are many more methods like inter/intra organizational .... w/ too many local and state wide organizations to list. Vermont's ability to manage "Information" across different platforms is truly noteworthy.

Eventually w/ enough time the Final Word as to our general response has come from Gov Scott's Team w/ Mark Levine being the primary face of public contact. All the outlets eventually default to the Governor's office again... time frame dependent. Whoever is running Gov Scott's Logistics is a ROCKSTAR in my book! :beercheer:

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Does VT publish community level data or just by county?

Yes & no. County level data is available to the general public. The remainder of the data is semi filtered due to early Covid issues within the population of certain towns. Is there specific data you need?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes & no. County level data is available to the general public. The remainder of the data is semi filtered due to early Covid issues within the population of certain towns. Is there specific data you need?

Just interested. I find community level data to be more informative and like to know where my town in MA stands in the region because my kids go to school.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Just interested. I find community level data to be more informative and like to know where my town in MA stands in the region because my kids go to school.

the town data is available to certain folks. It does eventually leaks out. there were a few issues early on when family’s were targeted, thus data was kept less granular unless specific needs exist. A lot of the towns are pretty small and unfortunately it Was pretty easy to identify people.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
VT is pretty serious. Older guy I met today has a cabin in northern VT on 600 acres (he doesn't own all the land.) He's been going up there hunting for 60 years. Has a non-resident hunting license.

The state has contacted him now twice. They told him if he comes up he has to quarantine in his cabin for 14 days, not allowed to even go on the land and hunt. He says he's never seen another person there in 60 years.

Then they followed up to mention that they will actually have plainclothesmen going around and checking on all of this. Checking license plates, etc..

Seems it would be easy for the state to tell ski resorts they have to enforce the rules.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Killington is opened, according to Reddit, a lot of CT/MA/NY plates. How is Killington/VT checking those folks?

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
VT is pretty serious. Older guy I met today has a cabin in northern VT on 600 acres (he doesn't own all the land.) He's been going up there hunting for 60 years. Has a non-resident hunting license.

The state has contacted him now twice. They told him if he comes up he has to quarantine in his cabin for 14 days, not allowed to even go on the land and hunt. He says he's never seen another person there in 60 years.

Then they followed up to mention that they will actually have plainclothesmen going around and checking on all of this. Checking license plates, etc..

Seems it would be easy for the state to tell ski resorts they have to enforce the rules.

As a Vermont resident I find this inconsistent with my experience here in Rutland, err Killington Valley. It also contradicts every bit of official statements regarding enforcement.

How many beers preceedd the telling of this tale?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Killington is opened, according to Reddit, a lot of CT/MA/NY plates. How is Killington/VT checking those folks?

I don't see Killington checking plates. No money in them for that. VT on the other hand might try to enforce this.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol our friends were going to use our place in Maine to get away from the kids for the weekend but we just got the advisory. I still would have gone a quarantine and wood stove on a wife's birthday couldn't be that bad.

Maine reinstated the negative test within 72 hours or 2 week solitary. Not too bad and is probably a good idea. Time to wax the xc skis get some at bindings and some ice fishing traps.
I visited Maine this summer under these restrictions. I got a negative Covid test and drove up. I was staying with friends so don’t know if hotels, etc check for evidence of a test, etc.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
I visited Maine this summer under these restrictions. I got a negative Covid test and drove up. I was staying with friends so don’t know if hotels, etc check for evidence of a test, etc.

I just visited Saddleback to take pictures of the new lift. Was prepared to show my recent Covid test results at Logan and hotel in Maine but no one ever asked for anything.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

there must have been a few beers involved in his restatement. The part about plain clothes officers spot checking certain establishments with history/known concerns has some truth. There are not enough resources to chase 1 random old man on 600 acres in east BF, unless he is a known issue.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
there must have been a few beers involved in his restatement. The part about plain clothes officers spot checking certain establishments with history/known concerns has some truth. There are not enough resources to chase 1 random old man on 600 acres in east BF, unless he is a known issue.
I think they are going to have a few high profile “busts” and make an example to make people realize they’re serious. Some people will still break the rules but the threat of real consequences could keep those numbers significantly lower.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
He didn't think they'd actually check him. However as he said, and he was at work and didn't seem intoxicated, if he caught a deer he'd need to check it in as an out of state hunter, and that that could potentially cause a problem.

They have already come to his cabin and checked the firewood he had (he claimed they checked it's DNA) to make sure he didn't bring it in from out of state.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Checking plates and stuff like that is not that helpful either. Stowe for example is 70% second homes. Many people have been here since March or April and the color of their license plate doesn’t mean anything.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ I'm wondering if he was confusing "Plain Clothes" w/ Game Wardens. Those guys are very serious. I've come across them out in the middle of nowhere, just walking around in the woods. I got pulled over snowmobiling by a Game Warden. I was going slow in a super remote area and the guy came up behind me out of nowhere. He had been hidden somewhere. His sled actually had lights! He stopped me and gave me a commendation sticker for safe driving and thanked me for managing my speed. I was kinda shocked. Another time I was taking a nap in the middle of Island Pond and a Game Warden pulled up on his sled, woke me up and asked if I was "sleeping one off". I wasn't and was actually just looking up at the sky enjoying the day and fell asleep!!! He was totally cool and we laughed about it. They have complete statewide jurisdiction and full authority to manage any situation.

They even set up fake deer w/ prohibited horn lengths out in seemingly no man's lands. It's actually kinda weird as they seem to be like "Police Shaman" w/ just as much power if not more... and show up via ATV, Boat, Snowmobile, Green pickups, and on foot... when least expected! They are like " Special Forces" police and generally work alone so their reputations precede them up here among the locals. You say "Police" up here and people kinda shrug it off...... you say "Game Warden", you get people's immediate attention and the next comment out of local's is "Where?" or "Uh oh!".... :huh:

Now that I think about it I've never seen Game Wardens anywhere near ski areas unless they were stopping somewhere for lunch. Those more heavily populated areas don't seem to be on their "beat"...

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With due appreciation of the many wonderful people, Vermont has great skiing but has been weird lately (as in recent years) anyways. Maybe we will go back sometime but never spend more than we have to. I do like Exterminator Rumble and Goat and mrg.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

They have already come to his cabin and checked the firewood he had (he claimed they checked it's DNA) to make sure he didn't bring it in from out of state.
Um....is it just me or does this see a little far-fetched?

Reactions: Ogg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Maybe the dna part. Otherwise the recent comments about park rangers are accurate anywhere in new england. They havent checked my salt water fishing license but they do. They are also out to help people in distress.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I agree but they probably could identify it by species of wood. I'm pretty good at identifying milled boards(my wife is better) and can sometimes identify logs so I'm sure someone with a better eye could pick up on any non native wood.

Sponsor

Staff online