• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vertical feet vs. calories: a power meter game.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
(E-bikes need not apply).

The game is simple but not simple: try to get more vertical feet climbed than you have expended (kilo- or dietary) calories.

How slowly do you have to go? What is the gradient required? Obviously body size and composition and bike aero make a difference.

FWIW Anything over 5% grade will (eventually) get me there but I lose if I go over 8 mph.

vtrich

Booting up
Skier
This is a really neat exercise especially if you have some longer climbs nearby. Our climbs are so varied that it is virtually impossible to ride the whole climb within a reduced output. Maybe the average over the entire climb would count but I don’t think so. Of course, losing a few pounds would help the equation.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This is a really neat exercise especially if you have some longer climbs nearby. Our climbs are so varied that it is virtually impossible to ride the whole climb within a reduced output. Maybe the average over the entire climb would count but I don’t think so. Of course, losing a few pounds would help the equation.
Discard bike parts as you go??? :huh::huh::doh:

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Discard bike parts as you go??? :huh::huh::doh:

It's possible without any such thing, even on a heavy bike, even at >200lbs body weight. I didn't believe it either, until I did it. You have to find a climb only just steep enough for your power and go just slowly enough for your aero.

Not kidding. I was stuck in sub .6 vert/kcal land for ever - and blamed everything, body, bike weight, drive train, rain, lack of rain, bar tape wrap direction, everything.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, I do not understand the rules of the game. How are you measuring calories?

Garmin's calculation for calories seems low (even with a power meter). I'm winning without even trying. Also, Is it just for a climb or the whole ride?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also don't get the game. Can't you win by just going on a fasting ride? Must be missing something.

Example: Today I did a casual-paced ride with an old friend. We climbed a little over 1,500 feet in a little over two hours, during which time I ingested 200 calories (two scoops of Hammer Heed/Perpetuem mix).

Enlightenment needed, Tuna!

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Also don't get the game. Can't you win by just going on a fasting ride? Must be missing something.

No. You will still be expending energy even if you don't ingest it. The question is how much energy are we expending per vertical.

Garmin's calculation for calories seems low.

Interesting. I simply couldn't get above 0.55 using just the estimate algorithm (no power meter).

Also, Is it just for a climb or the whole ride?

However you like, it's really meant to be a self-structured challenge. Since I only get the tally for the whole ride,that's what I'm looking at.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IDK - I don't trust it either - either it counts too little for climbing or it credits too much for high speed coasting downhill.

I think, since algorithm riders will want to try this, we had better specify door to door and not climb only. That also makes sense for @Tom Ks use case of finding the hilliest route at easiest pace for a fasted ride buddy.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I have to connect my road bike's power meter to play?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You have one?!?!? :huh: Nice!!

It came stock on my Emonda a few years ago, and I just noticed it the other day while lubing the chain.

I suppose I could pair it to my Garmin, but I'm not a data junky at all, for many, many reasons.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
It came stock on my Emonda a few years ago, and I just noticed it the other day while lubing the chain.

I suppose I could pair it to my Garmin, but I'm not a data junky at all, for many, many reasons.
Interesting. I AM a data junkie in real life. But riding isn't real life. When I ride, I want pure, unadulterated ride. I'll turn my brain back on when I hang my bike up (not a metaphor for endings, my bike hangs on a rack when not in use).

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Says the person who actually owns a power meter and a Garmin:)
Interesting. I AM a data junkie in real life. But riding isn't real life. When I ride, I want pure, unadulterated ride. I'll turn my brain back on when I hang my bike up (not a metaphor for endings, my bike hangs on a rack when not in use).

I can totally see how that would stop you from pre-ride or post-ride data loving. I mean can't cheat that pure recovery suffering by looking at data ;)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I can totally see how that would stop you from pre-ride or post-ride data loving. I mean can't cheat that pure recovery suffering by looking at data ;)

When racing, only time matters, so that's all I track when training.

My Garmin has never been connected to a computer, and I still haven't booted up my power meter.

So there! :yahoo:;)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

Yeah, but I mean even more than that. Riding is a form of escapism for me. I don't like riding in a group and I don't want to know my data for exactly that reason. But I also don't ride to suffer. Not what I would call suffering anyway. But I have a fairly high bar.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't give up yet, tuna! I might just give it a try later this month.

Saturday is the last race for me -- ever -- and then it will be back to "being a kid on a bike".

Fingers crossed!

Sponsor

Staff online