• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vertical feet vs. calories: a power meter game.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I would love to play this game, but I don't really think I have decent option to get this data. With Polar, I can see total calories for training, but there's no way to get calories per section. And if you count whole training, I think results are pretty twisted and definitely not comparable to climbing only. For me only way would be to remember starting calories shown on watch on bottom of climb, and then check calories on watch on top of climb, but there's simply no way to remember these number until end of training :ogbiggrin:
As for data... yeah I am data junkie even on bike, in running shoes or on skis. The more data the better. It's not that they would have any use nowadays, when I go out for fun only, but it's still cool to follow all possible data, even though only really useful data during training is HR.... and on bike ascend, so I know if I need to go another climb if I'm just 50m under 1000m mark on end of training :roflmao:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As for data... yeah I am data junkie even on bike, in running shoes or on skis. The more data the better.

This is great, because it means when I finally come over to ride with you, I won't even need to turn on my Garmin, but you'll be able to tell me how awesome our stats were at the end of each day! ;)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if this is a game of who can become the skinniest and go the slowest?

A calorie is a measure of energy. The energy required to climb a hill depends on how much you weigh, wind resistance, and other resistance (rolling, mechanical, etc.).

Assuming other resistance is similar between most riders, I think that leaves weight and wind resistance as the primary factors.

So, go slow to reduce wind resistance and lose weight, and this should be easy. :ogbiggrin:

I'm decades out from a physics class. Am I off base?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

A calorie is a measure of energy. The energy required to climb a hill depends on how much you weigh, wind resistance, and other resistance (rolling, mechanical, etc.).

Assuming other resistance is similar between most riders, I think that leaves weight and wind resistance as the primary factors.

So, go slow to reduce wind resistance and lose weight, and this should be easy. :ogbiggrin:

Yes it's pretty simple to calculate the energy required to climb (for a 100% efficient machine).

Minimum energy required is (mass moved)*(gravity constant)*(height gain). Then you add in the losses to drag and the inefficiencies of the machine (human) itself. In this case, the losses would be mostly the inefficiency of the human body. The bicycle itself is extremely efficient. The other loss would be aero drag (mentioned previously).

Lifting a 70kg object 1 meter (~3 feet) takes ~690 J energy (0.16 kcal).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

In the words of Kramer: I'm out! :ogbiggrin:

Yup, lightest climber should win this contest.

Famous in bike racing circles: Losing weight is so easy, all you have to do is not eat!

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

...and have the most efficient drive train ... and have the fewest flat sections in between climbs.

Which is where the real issue comes in: is 1% enough non-flat? 2%? 3%? 4.5%?

Point being, a non-skinny with an upright non-aero bike might have to find a way to sustain 5.5-8% climbs to do it - enough climbing to make up for the flat transfer sections getting home - but they still can succeed.

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yup, lightest climber should win this contest.

Nope. The climber with the least roller-coaster vertical should win this contest.

If playing with the Garmin algorithm, this game specifically punishes carrying momentum from the last hill on to climb the next one.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope. The climber with the least roller-coaster vertical should win this contest.

If playing with the Garmin algorithm, this game specifically punishes carrying momentum from the last hill on to climb the next one.

OK, Mr. Fuss-Budget! ;)

If we are all doing the same climb, wouldn't the lightest climber win?

I mean, the lighter you are, the fewer calories required to climb a given hill, down to the asymptotic limit of the bike's weight itself.

I love the term "asymptotic limit"! :ogbiggrin:

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
OK, Mr. Fuss-Budget! ;)

If we are all doing the same climb, wouldn't the lightest climber win?

Sure - but I'm asking no one to match climb for climb with others. If an individual's goal is to ~double one's own ratio, it becomes a mental game, a suffering game and a route finding game.

He seemed nonplussed... :roflmao:

Tell him to not burn his matches early and save some nonplussed for high school and infinite series :)

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the Garmin algorithm for calculating calories is crap, at least when using a power meter.

This ride has rolling hills, and I still won the game. 540 calories for 557 vertical feet. Huh?

Monosnap Garmin Connect 2022-07-20 22-26-01.png

There is no way I only burned 540 calories. Garmin is whacked.

I rode 1:06 at 16 mph. There are many charts out there showing I probably burned double the calories Garmin calculated.

calories-burned-cycling.png

Caveat on my performance above: I was restricted to 145 bpm by my cardiologist, and the next day, I had a cardiac MRI that determined my aortic valve was leaking so bad I needed a new one. How's that for an excuse for being slow. :ogbiggrin:

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think the Garmin algorithm for calculating calories is crap, at least when using a power meter.

This ride has rolling hills, and I still won the game. 540 calories for 557 vertical feet. Huh?

View attachment 173816

There is no way I only burned 540 calories. Garmin is whacked.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that ^that is fundamentally whacked. Notice your work units are set to kJ.

541kJ is only 129 kcal. It's basically telling you you burned two apples tops. I mean ... congratulations on some extremely good aero :roflmao:

That said, are you happy with that wattage being accurate? 'Coz the kJ numbers do check out against that power. If you are tempted to troubleshoot, the power number is where I'd start.

I wouldn't really think about that bottom chart much - because there is a thing where gyms try to figure out 'metabolic' calories vs. actually useful work-done calories and we really don't want to dive into that mess.

Last edited:

Sponsor