• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Ha Ho Neighbors...You might have seen some of my single PDF art of ski binding from the past. Well there's a lot more where that came from. I retired from teaching CADD at Community College of Denver for 20 years and to keep my brain and my CADD skills sharp I decided to continue modeling vintage ski binding. I now have them up on my own YouTube channel at the following web address. I'm constantly doing more and looking for old binding systems to "disassemble" (that usually means they don't go back together well). Currently I'd love to find a Marker Telmat heel, a Moog, plastic Allsop...anyone have such things they would consider sell please contact me.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
@RickyG Very nice. I really like the Marker Simplex toe and Rotomat heel. What CAD system was used? I'm a retired mechanical engineer who used Creo (Parametric Technologies), Solidworks (Desault), and Solidesigner (HP) . Wonderful project!

Last edited:
TS
RickyG

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Hi...I was trained in ProE (Creo) back at Lock Mart...taught if for a while at CCD. I use Fusion 360. Still like Inventor better but license etc. I've taught SolidWorks but honestly I like the AutoDesk products better.

thank you so much...

RickyG

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What this shows is how inventive and fast development occurred without the use of CAD. See and love what CAD can do, but sometimes think it has slowed things down.

Love the breakdowns.:thumb:

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ha Ho Neighbors...You might have seen some of my single PDF art of ski binding from the past. Well there's a lot more where that came from. I retired from teaching CADD at Community College of Denver for 20 years and to keep my brain and my CADD skills sharp I decided to continue modeling vintage ski binding. I now have them up on my own YouTube channel at the following web address. I'm constantly doing more and looking for old binding systems to "disassemble" (that usually means they don't go back together well). Currently I'd love to find a Marker Telmat heel, a Moog, plastic Allsop...anyone have such things they would consider sell please contact me.

Love the site. Here's one for you...

https://www.pugski.com/threads/all-things-wulf.6002/

Wulf ski binding, but might be a nightmare to fine one.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have a pair of Rossi STs that were my first touring skis with the Rotamat TR heel and M4-15 toes. They didn't work as well together as the TR did with the M3 did, but the M4 toe was beefier and more reliable.

The problem with the M4 toe in walk mode is that the lug of the boot would catch slightly on the wings.

20170506_104556_Silverthorne Lane.jpg 20170506_104542_Silverthorne Lane.jpg 20170506_104450_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

TS
RickyG

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
What this shows is how inventive and fast development occurred without the use of CAD. See and love what CAD can do, but sometimes think it has slowed things down.

Love the breakdowns.:thumb:
What 3D solid modeling (not 2D CAD) really did that the management at Lock/Mart took a while to wrap their heads around is that the time to develop the total model of what ever (like the transporter trailer for the Atlas 3 first stage, or the launcher it's self) we could "see" all the size/interference issues. So the usual problem when 2D drawings got to manufacturing that time lost in ECN (engineering change notices) would drop dramatically. The CAD jocks got it closer to right the first time saving time/money on the final cost of manufacturing.
Oh...and thank you so much!
RickyG

TS
RickyG

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Love the site. Here's one for you...

https://www.pugski.com/threads/all-things-wulf.6002/

Wulf ski binding, but might be a nightmare to fine one.
As far as the Wulf Binding goes I'm not too sure about difficulty (other that finding a real one to measure) I've attached the Patent drawing I found and it's basically the same plunger spring unit used in a Gertsch/Besser/Americana but two of them pointed into the center and the release cam is a cylinder with the control insets built in. I've started "guessing" based on proportions and patent drawings (as much as I hate to) that is the way I'll have come up with my Marker M3S toe. I've attached the patent drawings I've found. I always thought the Wulf would have been weird to ski on being so high up off the ski.

Attachments

• Wolf Ski Binding US4185851.pdf
    807.8 KB · Views: 24
TS
RickyG

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
I have a pair of Rossi STs that were my first touring skis with the Rotamat TR heel and M4-15 toes. They didn't work as well together as the TR did with the M3 did, but the M4 toe was beefier and more reliable.

The problem with the M4 toe in walk mode is that the lug of the boot would catch slightly on the wings.

View attachment 98648 View attachment 98649 View attachment 98650
Doug those pictures are a "god send" between the patent drawings I found of the M3 family of toe units and your pictures it's so much help when I step into the place where I do not have the real thing to reverse engineer. Thank you so much...please keep posting pictures. You wouldn't happen to have a Marker Telmat? Again thank you and keep sharing those pictures.
RickyG

Attachments

• Marker M3 Ski Binding Assembly.jpg
    Marker M3 Ski Binding Assembly.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 36

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Doug those pictures are a "god send" between the patent drawings I found of the M3 family of toe units and your pictures it's so much help when I step into the place where I do not have the real thing to reverse engineer. Thank you so much...please keep posting pictures. You wouldn't happen to have a Marker Telmat? Again thank you and keep sharing those pictures.
RickyG

Telmat pix posted here;

I have the pictured Telemat if you need specific pictures let me know.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
RickyG
Sorry, no Telemat.

Your work is intriguing. The dynamic exploding view was quite appropriate for the 'explodamat' heel. ;)

PM (about to be) sent.

TS
RickyG

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Ricky,
You have overLOOKed the most important binding of all!
LOOK Nevada/Grand Prix

View attachment 98753 View attachment 98754
I don't know about you all but removing a Look Nevada/Grand Prix from it's box and then trying to reassemble them the way they were is quite a little project...like a early Rubic's cube...everything has to go back just so.

TS
RickyG

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Everyone...I've done Look it's just LOST in the cloud. The next time AutoDesk tell me the "cloud" is safe I'll laugh out loud. This one and the metal Allsop need completely redone.

Attachments

• Look Nevada II Toe and Head XR1 Section 1.jpg
    Look Nevada II Toe and Head XR1 Section 1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Look Nevada II Toe and Head XR1 Section 3.jpg
    Look Nevada II Toe and Head XR1 Section 3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Allsop Ski Binding Assembly v2.jpg
    Allsop Ski Binding Assembly v2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Allsop Ski Binding Assembly v20.jpg
    Allsop Ski Binding Assembly v20.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Hexcel Ski Detail View.png
    Hexcel Ski Detail View.png
    353.4 KB · Views: 29

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
As far as the Wulf Binding goes I'm not too sure about difficulty (other that finding a real one to measure) I've attached the Patent drawing I found and it's basically the same plunger spring unit used in a Gertsch/Besser/Americana but two of them pointed into the center and the release cam is a cylinder with the control insets built in. I've started "guessing" based on proportions and patent drawings (as much as I hate to) that is the way I'll have come up with my Marker M3S toe. I've attached the patent drawings I've found. I always thought the Wulf would have been weird to ski on being so high up off the ski.

Woooaaaa!!

Look at the patent.... the names on the patent.....

wulf binding.png

Salomon......

Oh so what is really odd is this...in this pugski tread Dave P shows and ad', and there is also a patent extract

https://www.pugski.com/threads/all-things-wulf.6002/#post-140435

And they are recogniseable as very very similar in design, a plate with a disk held by two Besser/Gertsch type barrels, but the patent drawings are slightly different.

So.... what on earth is going on? Did Salomon buy the Wulf patent and fluff it up ? I am pretty sure that i saw references to Wulf in 76 which predates the Salomnon patent...

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting LOOK had a pivoting plate in 1947 which must have evolved into the pivoting heel and also see the Beyl reference on the Salomon patent. Maybe Salomon wanted some sort of pivoting binding to compete with LOOK and as you say just fluffed up the WULF.

1586652047002.png

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I remember way back when on a Salomon factory tour when they were delighted to show a brake designed for a look turntable heel. They'd designed and patented it to prevent Look doing it and were verrrrry proud of it. It's what left Look with years of horrible brakes; the forward pointing one, the revision with a cover than the really awful one that also had the AFD built into it which made to height terrible to adjust [all shown in Bill's pic above].

I guess Look felt a bit smug when the upper radius contact expired and Salomon had to explain why they'd spent years trashing it and then copying it in the 957.

Sponsor

Staff online