• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RetroSkier

Booting up
Skier
My current boot collection: SX70’s I learned to ski on and will probably retire, Impulse buy SX72’s that offered a very snug but marginally comfortable fit, also easier to close than the 70’s and finally recently bought SX92 Equipe with multiple inserts and spacers to customize fit. I’m the 2nd owner, boots appear pristine and the inserts are practically new as the previous owner used custom orthotics.
A3B4EBA6-B003-4424-9DB1-2A3925194582.jpeg

Testing the boots out a bit more while customizing fit. Previous owner was same shoe size as me and quick test fit before purchase was comfortable.
87A69CDF-167E-4212-BF8B-5F486338A5BD.jpeg

Approx half of the inserts available to customize fit. Yes, I know modern gear can be heat molded etc. Was able to figure out where a lot of it goes but not entirely sure on it’s usage. Arch support was easiest to figure out.
9A795842-5B30-4337-BD6D-30F0017E5ED4.jpeg

The two biggest questions I have are:

1. What are the big blue plastic pieces and where should they go if used

2. How are the spacers supposed to work ?

3. Does anyone have a size chart ? It was another post discussing sizing that helped me see the 72’s would work in a pinch but ultimately may be too small, they’re 330-345 , the 92’s are 350-360?

The included instructions helped a lot, with everything except using the inserts. After only finding reviews and opinions on the 92’s after looking up the SX series in general I now have a much better appreciation for these boots after actually seeing the user guide.

Things I get:

1. Setting forward flex. Not sure if both sides need to be set at the same setting or if they can vary to really customize flex.

2. Setting forward lean. Currently using a more upright position but may try a more inclined one in the future.

3. Foot canting and micro chanting. I know where they are and kinda how to change them but for now I’m leaving them alone.

Not really discussed much in the instructions but mostly figured out from taking the boot apart and putting it back together:

1. Placing arch support and spacers in footbed. Currently have it set at 1.5 front and back but may move it to 3.0 if that decreases the overall boot volume. Really not sure how that’s supposed to work so experimenting.

2. Spacers in calf pads. Not sure if they’re needed but the fit is definitely comfortable.

3. After some guess work, Spacers around ankles.

4. More guess work but could not quite figure out where the blue spacer went. Instructions mention around spoiler, which I’m guessing is around the back of the boot.

I’ve been skiing on and off for a few years and was familiar with the SX rear entry design but didn’t know what I was missing out on with the 92’s. Recently realized the 70’s might have been too big, but I could get down the slopes with them.

I’m looking forward to the increased control with the 92’s

Now to finish putting the inserts in and then a trip to my local ski shop to adjust my bindings… on my “skinny dynastars ” as my 70’s appear to have been a smidge longer than my 92’s

Thanks for reading and hopefully answering some of my SX92 questions.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The big blue plastic pieces are load spreaders. They attach to the liner over your instep -- the rectangular hole goes over a tab that holds them. The cable goes over the blue pieces. Otherwise the cable would be a point load on your foot.

The little white knobs go on the bottom of the bootboard to adjust the way it sits in the shell.
The white rectangular clips go on the rear of the shell behind the back section of the liner to tighten up fit around the achilles. I've tried them and then took them back out. A little goes a long way there.
The translucent piece is the arch support (as I think you know).

I don't know what the white horseshoe-shaped piece is.

TS
R

RetroSkier

Booting up
Skier
That helps a lot.

I think the horseshoe piece is extra ankle support, kind of like lumbar support for lack of a better analogy.

White spacers are +2.5 and +5 and go in the back upper cuff. Horseshoe appears to “snap” into the blue and white plastic near the ankle.

Had not considered using the blue pieces on the front top of my foot… thought they went on the back because of the tab there. Will definitely try it and if it works great, if not ‍oh well.

Figuring out what spacing to use, currently have my cuffs with maximum space +5, Footbed with near minimum. +1.5 in front and +2? in back. I think they can go to +3 and +4 to reduce volume or angle your foot ?

The long tabs are actually at the front of the foot, the short buttons are at the back with these, footbed only fits one way. Still good to know about adjusting fit around achilles.

Tempted to play around with canting. Brief conversation with local tech said it’s not needed but if it can help improve my skiing along with improving technique with practice Easiest change there appears to be swapping the grip pieces. Not adjusting any of that yet, will do some runs to see how everything feels first.

Loving the arch support.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I owned and used for a good amount of time a pair of SX92, in fact they must still be in my parents home basement, last time I checked, the extra toe and heel piece were disgregating themselves. Now that I think of it, I do not recall all those customization pieces, possibly because mine were the "R" (Edit: Equipment, the "R" model was the following boot I bought, Tecnica TNT Racing, I apologise for the mixup) model?

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool beans! I had Solly rear entry boots for several years, starting with the SX 90 Equipe then moving to the 92 Equipe. So much to love, at least back then.

When I retired the 92s for regular skiing, I ended up using them to climb Mt. Hood and ski off the summit 8 times. We'd boot hike up partway, then put clamp-on crampons for the rest. The great thing in this application was you could open the top buckle and it would stay latched, giving you great articulation.

Have fun with the retro stuff (after making sure they still interface safely with the bindings)!

TS
R

RetroSkier

Booting up
Skier
Installed the blue pieces. Just realized the pieces are actually initialed for left and right but not L R, D droit G gauche

Biggest difference noticed, forefoot feels very secure, and it felt secure before.

F74BCE5C-A0F2-4188-9336-6BC60DFDDE48.jpeg

426B55A3-17E0-428C-BAED-6981B6F1FE02.jpeg

Horse shoe piece, not 100% sure it’s in the right spot but it seems to work. calf padding.

Instructions only reference “plugs to insert at the heel and on the spoiler for a snug fit”

“different types of plugs to tilt the footbed”

Load spreader is not mentioned nor removing the rear padding makes removing the liner way easier.

= me guessing and experimenting

9838664F-723D-48E2-88D4-1457870FCA43.jpeg

also learning I really, really like ski socks. Again something I just became familiar with.

Sponsor