• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Virtual ISSW from Fernie, Oct 4-6, 2020

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m thrilled to read about this virtual meeting from InterNational Snow Science Workshop for $30 this fall. If any other snow geek is interested, I’m holding this space for further discussion.

TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Early registration deadline is September 28 for CAD 30. Thereafter it will be CAD 40.

Meeting schedule available below in Mountain Time:

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting. What’s a poster session?
One of the lectures-
What’s economics got to do with it? A behavioral economist’s view on risk-taking behavior in avalanche terrain.

TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@James
Although I have never attended ISSW, poster session refers to a forum where students or more junior researchers and investigators present their initial findings on poster board(s) in academic and scientific meetings. Meeting participants have an opportunity to walk around to visit these posters, let say in a hotel or convention center meeting room, and ask the poster presentators questions related to methodologies, findings, or limitations. Then poster presentations can be followed up with collecting more data from additional study subjects/samples/observations before final results are submitted to scientific journals for peer review before publication. Speakers and panelist members, on the other hand, tend to be more established investigator and experts.

I'm unclear how a virtual poster session will work with ISSW. Perhaps the authors will be available during designated hours to online chat with virtual participants.

Two books immediately comes to mind on behavioral economics:
Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely
And the often quoted classic in avalanche safety classes by Nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman Thinking, Fast and Slow

James

Out There
Instructor
@James
Although I have never attended ISSW, poster session refers to a forum where students or more junior researchers and investigators present their initial findings on poster board(s) in academic and scientific meetings. Meeting participants have an opportunity to walk around to visit these posters, let say in a hotel or convention center meeting room, and ask the poster presentators questions related to methodologies, findings, or limitations. Then poster presentations can be followed up with collecting more data from additional study subjects/samples/observations before final results are submitted to scientific journals for peer review before publication. Speakers and panelist members, on the other hand, tend to be more established investigator and experts.

I'm unclear how a virtual poster session will work with ISSW. Perhaps the authors will be available during designated hours to online chat with virtual participants.

And the often quoted classic in avalanche safety classes by Nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman Thinking, Fast and Slow
Aha. So it’s like a grownup (maybe) high school science fair.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Aha. So it’s like a grownup (maybe) high school science fair.

Correction - Poster presentations are not just for students or junior researchers and oral presentations are not always from established researchers or practitioners. Poster presentations are super effective for group discussions and getting different scientists and practitioners together in front of poster. Poster presentations are scheduled through the meeting and do not conflict with oral presentations. FYI, I have presented at ISSW - both oral and poster venues.

TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@charlier, thank you for the clarification. I worked in academia and have also done oral and poster presentations, including with Society of Medical Decision Making. Seems like I erroneously applied prior knowledge in other fields to ISSW.

Am a novice in snow science but thought there is no better way to dig into a subject than by beginning a discussion thread. Your insights will be much appreciation.

We’ll see how it goes!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@James
Kahneman's classic Thinking, Fast and Slow is indeed amazing. He seems to have packed the answer to everything about human behavior into this book. Gold star on your forehead if you can read beyond the first chapter. It's dense, too dense for me. I found a summary years ago online that worked as a substitute to wading painfully through the whole thing. He won the Nobel Prize in Economics for the research in this book, but be warned the insights are not specific to economics. Thanks @Rainbow Jenny for mentioning it as it offers great insights into why humans engage in unsafe behavior in risky situations.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m thrilled to read about this virtual meeting from InterNational Snow Science Workshop for $30 this fall. If any other snow geek is interested, I’m holding this space for further discussion.

Thank you for the notification. I registered tonight. I attend the Utah Snow and Avalanche Professional Workshop every fall but this is a great opportunity for $30. I have never attended ISSW due to location, cost and availability. The virtual format will open it to many more people and help them cover their costs. Win win!

TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
VSSW was such a worthwhile meeting earlier this week, I had to copy and paste a number of chats to read later. Still need to go back and visit the poster sessions.

Below are some major highlights for me:

Andrea Mannberg (of Norway) recording "What’s economics got to do with it? A behavioral economist’s view on risk-taking behavior in avalanche terrain" was so well done, I highly recommend it.
starting from 21.45

Jerry Johnson from Montana State spoke of heuristics
"Rethinking the Heuristic Traps Paradigm in Avalanche Education"

Devon O'Neil's background story of
was sincere and fascinating.

Amanda Goodhue's narrative of Castle Mountain's avalanche was thought-provoking.

I felt comfortable posting comments and asking question throughout the live sessions, even as a first-time attendees.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I participated in a few of the sessions. There are more recorded sessions that I will listen to. It was a great opportunity to attend virtually. I highly recommend also attending or listening to your region Snow and Avalanche workshop. Utah Avalanche Center is going virtual this year in early November and it is always excellent.

Sponsor