• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Visit to Zion National Park, May 2021

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Visit to Zion National Park, May 2021
By Jim Kenney

Click on this photo for a panoramic view of Zion Canyon
canyon overlook pano.jpg

My wife and I made a fun and quick (two days, one night) visit to Zion National Park in southern Utah on May 11 and 12. We enjoyed beautiful sunny, 80 degrees weather and reasonable crowds on both days. I'll try to share some highlights, photos, and info on the trip including how the park is operating in the post-pandemic environment of 2021. It costs $35 to enter the park for up to a seven day visit. We use lifetime senior National Park passes that we obtained a few years ago for $10; such a deal! May is generally a beautiful time to visit the various national parks in southern Utah.

Mingling of species at Zion Lodge
mingling of species zion lodge.jpg

We started by making the pleasant 4.5 hour drive down Interstate 15 from Salt Lake City on the morning of Tuesday, May 11 and arrived at the park in the early afternoon. The key to our visit was securing a "western cabin" for one night at the Zion Lodge complex in the heart of the park. I got the cabin by frequently checking lodge availability online two days before our trip until I spotted someone's late cancelation and grabbed it. This is not as rare as you might think because there is no penalty for canceling a room/cabin up to two days before a visit to Zion Lodge and this makes for a lot of last minute reservation churn.

Our Cabin
cabin close-up.jpg

A single night in one of the rustic cabins (or lodge rooms) costs a pricey ~$250, but comes with some important advantages regarding access and transportation. Staying at the Zion Lodge permits you to drive your car into the park. All other visitors must enter using crowded shuttle buses, commercial touring operators, bicycles, or on foot. Personal motor vehicles are typically not allowed on the park's primary scenic drive which runs eight miles up the canyon floor beside the North Fork of the Virgin River.

E-bikes are very popular at the park
e-bikers.jpg

Since the pandemic began the park instituted an online reservation system for the shuttles to prevent overcrowding at the bus stops. It costs only $1 dollar per day, but reservations must be made in advance, sometimes a month in advance for prime times. Staying overnight at the centrally located Zion Lodge for our impromptu visit allowed us to easily walk or bike to some of the park's highlights. And perhaps most importantly, as lodge guests we were offered walk-on shuttle tickets every afternoon without tangling with the advance reservation system. These advantages might actually make the Zion Lodge a good value compared to a cheaper motel in the tourist town of Springdale outside the park.

Our first goal: the canyon overlook, it's up there above that huge natural rock alcove
overlook from road.jpg

Since check-in time for our cabin wasn't until 4PM, the first thing we did upon arriving at the western entrance to the park was to take the second most popular scenic drive in the park, the Zion-Mt. Carmel highway and tunnel. This road climbs above the cliffs to the eastern entrance of the park. It's open to public vehicles and is quite distinct from the main scenic drive on the canyon floor beside the river. The tunnel serving this road was built in 1930 and is only one lane wide. The tunnel is one mile long with several spectacular viewing windows cut through the rock. We stopped on the east side of the tunnel at a small parking lot and took a leisurely 90 minute hike on the Canyon Overlook Trail.

Light at the end of the tunnel
light at the end of the tunnel.jpg

The popular Canyon Overlook Trail is not much more than a one mile round trip, but it's an exciting one mile! This trail offers great rewards for modest effort, featuring expansive views, elevated boardwalks, and refreshingly cool caves. Whoever built the railing lining the cliffy parts of the trail is now my best friend (probably the CCC back in the 1930s).

Features of the Canyon Overlook Trail:

Cool cave
kathy cave.jpg

I like safety bars ;-)
railing canyon overlook trail.jpg

Elevated boardwalk
kathy boardwalk.jpg

Cactus, cliffs and canyons
cactus.jpg

While somewhat rocky and acrophobic, the Canyon Overlook Trail only requires about a 200' elevation climb and I found it to be a very easy hike. The trail ends at a magnificent overlook that my wife and I both enjoyed. While up there we found a shady spot to take a long water break with a beautiful breeze and great views of Zion Canyon.

Husband and Wife photo from The Canyon Overlook, bring water
j & k canyon overlook.jpg

After hiking the Canyon Overlook Trail it was time to check-in at Zion Lodge. Our reservation included a parking pass for our car and an access code to enter the gate for the scenic drive up Zion Canyon, but we were only allowd to go as far as the four miles to the Zion Lodge. We passed numerous E-bikers heading up or down the canyon during those four miles. Ironically, banning cars in the canyon has resulted in a daily swarm of E-bikers and regular cyclists making the 8-10 mile ride each way to the end of the canyon from Springdale, UT. It's the resort town located just outside the park where most overnight visitors stay.

Heading back down the Zion and Mt. Carmel scenic highway.
winding road to overlook.jpg

Our cabin was rustic, but nicely furnished and included a microwave and a fridge. My wife and I ate an early dinner there with supplies we brought with us. I lugged one hybrid bike with me on the trip and was determined to use it. Around 7 PM I took a quiet, solo bike ride from our cabin for about four miles each way up to what they call the Temple of Siniwava at the end of the canyon. This area is named after of the coyote spirit in the Paiute nation. The way the sunlight illuminated the cliffs was really striking at this time of day. I saw about 15 people (and two turkeys) on my bike ride.

Cyclists view of L-R: The White Throne, The Organ, Angels Landing
white throne organ angels landing closer.jpg

Road hogging turkeys
bike turkeys.jpg

Did that little river really cut that massive wall?!?
river wall.jpg

The next morning we slept-in a little bit and again ate a relaxing meal in our cabin. We packed up our stuff and checked out by 11 AM. The pass for our car was good for the whole day and we left it at the lodge parking lot and set off on foot to see the Lower Emerald Pool. This was another easy (~one mile) hike that included much shade, a mellow 70' elevation climb, and climaxed with a close-up view of a beautiful 100' waterfall.

Part of the waterfall at Emerald Pool #1
waterfall at emerald pool 1.jpg

Click to expand this panoramic view of the canyon from our hike to Emerald Pool #1
pano view from emerald pool walk.jpg

After the waterfall we rested for a while and enjoyed a shady picnic at our car near the lodge. Then at 2 PM we picked up two free shuttle tickets (bracelets) inside the lodge and caught a ride up to the Temple of Siniwava at the end of the canyon. The shuttles were operating with many open windows and reduced seating capacity. Riders were required to wear masks.

View from the shuttle bus
bus roof view.jpg

View of Angels Landing from the shuttle, nearly every year on average someone loses their life making the hike to its summit.
angels landing from shuttle bus.jpg

We wanted to return to the Temple of Siniwava because it is the starting point for the Riverside Walk. This is a flat, two mile trail along the Virgin River that leads to the Narrows. The Narrows is the famous area in the park where many visitors actually step into the shallow river and continue hiking for several miles up-river as the canyon grows narrower and narrower.

Lush greenery grows on "weeping" walls along the Riverside Walk
green wall.jpg

We opted to stay dry and stick to the paved walk, but it was still a very fun and interesting excursion. The area has lush vegetation, almost like a desert oasis with a lot of shade cast by the high cliffs on either side. The Riverside Walk was the most crowded spot we visited during our two days in Zion National Park. We saw several thousand walkers here, most arriving by shuttle, but hundreds also came on E-bikes and regular bikes. When we were ready to leave we had to wait about 25 minutes in a big crowd to catch a shuttle back to the lodge.

The start of The Narrows hike through the Virgin River
the narrows.jpg

As we returned to our car and left the park around 5 PM I reflected with more appreciation on how delightfully empty the upper canyon was when I took my quiet bike ride the evening before. All in all, we had a great and safe visit. We passed on the famous and steep Angels Landing hike, but really enjoyed the short ones we did take. Zion National Park is beautiful and only about 30 miles off Interstate 15. I believe it was the third most visited park in the National Park system in 2020. Take that into consideration if you plan a visit.

Photos of various wildlife we encountered in the park:

Inquisitive chipmunk
chipmunk.jpg

Random duck
duck.jpg

Lizard near Emerald Pool
lizard.jpg

Posing squirrel
squirrel.jpg

Turkey trot close-up
turkey strut.jpg

Bighorn sheep beside the Canyon Overlook Trail
sheep.jpg

To circle this report back to SkiTalk, if you were really ambitious and wanted an interesting break from a week-long spring ski trip to the Wasatch it is conceivable that an overnight visit to Zion National Park is doable. It would be about a 4.5 hour drive from Little or Big Cottonwood Canyons. You could leave early in the morning and return late the next day with time enough to see everything described in this report. You'd likely experience temperatures in the 70s and maybe the 80s at the park, much different from the ski areas. The drive on Interstate 15 is very beautiful with light traffic. Two days after I completed my trip to Zion National Park I enjoyed a string of three consecutive days of fabulous spring skiing at Snowbird resort.

May 15, 2021, photo by @Rudi Riet
jim bookends.jpg

Attachments

• virgin river pano.jpg
    virgin river pano.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 11
  • bike turkeys.jpg
    bike turkeys.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Beautiful TR.
Makes me want to go there.
How is Snowbird skiing?

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great trip report, we will be using when we boondock nearby this fall after the summer crowds.
A Virginia Cavalier fan ! I knew I liked you
@dovski spoke highly of you as a wonderful ambassador for Big Sky. Somehow I missed you when we had the Gathering there a couple of years ago.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
My son and 3 friends are camping at Zion this week. He says from their campsite it's a short walk to General Store and a brewpub and a lot of Springdale. They hiked Angels Landing on Monday, drove through tunnel to Bryce Tuesday and hiked The Narrows today. I've never been.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great trip report, Zion is an awesome park. thanks for sharing and bringing back good memories.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have got to do this one of these trips.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ah, good memory! Spent many nights on the walls there. I wonder if people still do stealth camping in the BLM land near by.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
@fatbob they are beautiful! Watchman is one of my favorite campground, despite lack of amenities and red sand covers everything in the morning. The view from Watchman is so beautiful.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Excellent TR. Enjoyed re-seeing many views through your pictures. Zion is still my favorite National Park.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
@GB_Ski. @socalgal Thanks - glad you like it, I put it more down to planning in being right place for the light - Arches and Zion were at sunset, Canyonlands maybe an hour before, Bryce just after sunrise.

I love travel and landscape photography but I have idly wondered whether there is a market for doing stuff like this - comes up well on canvasses rather than competing on pure photographic prints with the real pros. Though its hard to take a bad photo in many of Utah's parks.

Sorry didn't want to crash the thread too much - I've hiked Angel's Landing twice and then last time bottled out on the cables about 15 mins in. Ageing does weird things to your risk tolerance.

Last edited:
TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@fatbob you can crash my thread...err my Hobacks anytime you want :ogbiggrin:
fatbob hobacks 2015 (2).jpeg

Hope to ski with you again soon.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful! We will be there mid September. I know it will still be on the warm side but it's part of a road trip on the way back from my niece's wedding in South Dakota

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
We did Zion a few years ago. Stayed in Watchmen campground. Nice swimming hole with a rope swing in the creek by the campsite which is fun on a hot day. My kids were little, so we only did about 4 or 5 miles of it, but the Narrows is such an amazingly fun time that even though it was one of the most crowded hikes I have done I still would absolutely do it again without any hesitation (hopefully I can do the whole thing some day!)

Sponsor