• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Visiting Sun Valley

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug and I will be visiting Sun Valley the next few days. We are traveling with @Justin Koski from the US Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame to line up some options for future events.
Not sure how full our dance card is just yet but thought we'd reach out and say, hey!

Look for the SS Pugski errrrr SkiTalk D1BE1962-C733-408D-AD39-28FB40887E5D.JPG

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
#jealous

Marginal snowpack is a recurring theme there I think..but what the hell, it's a beautiful place!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm actually very interested in how you like the terrain. I spent time there when I did 12 areas on a loooong trip out west three years ago. I loved the general area and the resort was beautiful...but SV was the only place where I actually grew to dislike the terrain. The mountain seemed heavily ridged, and my take was that w/o LOTS of snow, the only skiing was in (albeit big) gullies between the ridges. Every run was subtly concave so it was like being in a quarter-pipe all day long.
Wondering if I missed something.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
@tch's description of the terrain is spot on, in my humble view.
#Philpug's pictoral of the urinals is equally spot on. Both are subtly concave.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The views from Sun Valley are amazing
B6EB9F88-50BF-4F0E-BD2E-B9AE5874ED81.jpeg
F8841681-07E1-4DEB-A469-103101541348.jpeg
B95110D5-3A3C-49F9-88C7-F95F652CD23E_1_201_a.jpeg
I was thinking I would have perferred something narrower.

We got to spend some time with Hall of Fame inductee Bobbie Burns
7D4D7828-0F50-4EED-85F1-0EBC35574FE1.JPG D1FD4CF7-8FA3-488E-BDC5-59D422E3F57D.JPG FB568B0D-9A67-4CF0-BC2B-A283F6868FDA.jpeg
We will be auctioning off a pair of The Ski "Puppets" that were autographed by Bobbie and Alan Shoenberger with the proceeds going to benefit the Hall of Fame.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hoped to meet up and make some turns, but I have been fighting a cold off and on for a while.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I've been to Sun Valley. I enjoyed the brass-encrusted bathrooms and water fountains, the elaborate silver water dispensers and the heavily upholstered arm chairs on plush carpeting. The lodges are high fidelity rest areas for those used to expensive comfort, quite the contrast to the places I usually ski.

My ski club's trip was in April, when the groomers and the bowl were still white but that's mostly it. Heavy deep snow fell on day three and most everyone disappeared from the slopes to go shopping, but not me. I learned a thing or two about skiing in heavy glop that day.

Since my group was from New England we were quite the oddity to the locals. Evidently New Englanders rarely visit there.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
SV has the best high speed cruising in North America, imo.

Bit of a dry year? SV has 500 snow guns and as such is better equiped to handle the lean snow years than most.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Local comment: "There's a reason they call it SUN Valley, not Snow Valley".

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, those pics prove the low snow pack this year. It's equally as bad here in UT.
Yes, the skiers there know what tools to bring, hence the sub-75mm skis.
Their greens are blues every where else I've skied. Their blues (many of them) are more like blacks. It's a great mountain. Like moguls? They've got plenty of those.

Sponsor

Staff online