• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Visiting Sun Valley

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The bowls on the Mayday lift are lots of fun, and Frenchman’s is often overlooked. I’m looking forward to getting back there and skiing the new gladed terrain past Fire Trail. When they actually have snow. It is a groomer and bump kind of place, but that coverage looks really bare. Usually all that terrain is covered and you can ski anywhere and everywhere.

Hope you guys have fun there.

If you want lots of snow, you know where to find us..... ;)

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A little history from the way back. Count Felix ?????, who placed Sun Valley was looking at several sites. One was Paradise on Mount Rainier, it was scratched from the list due to the difficulty of putting a railroad up there and keeping it running. (Probably would not have been named 'Sun Valley' up there either.)

goaliedad

Getting on the lift
Skier
In a decent snow year, is it worth a road trip? I used to work with a guy who lived there, but commuted to HOUSTON! He blew out his knee the last year before I retired, so never got to plan a trip there to ski with him, but have considered it going forward.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
In a decent snow year, is it worth a road trip?
If you are a go fast GS skier then absolutely SV is worth a road trip, if you are a powder hound, not so much.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Went there a couple springs back for a PSIA event and spent time skiing with Zentune. Mind blowing customer service, incredible views, and that year, excellent snow pack. The bowls had the best lift served corn I've ever experienced. Skied everything on SL and cheater GS skis. That said, I missed the raw and crazy variable terrain of the PNW while we were there... but it was a fun few days for sure.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of the people we were with needed some boot work and Pete Nestor at Sturnevants was awesome. If you ever need work here a great place to get work done along with their shop at the mountain where they took care of some rentals.
9BF4F529-F298-4F0C-B192-6D135394EAAF.jpeg
We got to ski with Dick Dorworth today and that was a great experience, Dick knew the mountain well and took us to some terrain that we didn't knew existed plus every lift ride was a ski history lesson.

This afternoon we headed over to Dollar Mtn and made a few runs there and that was 628' of fun old skiing. It was so cool seeing so many kids skiing out on their own.

Last edited:

Heeler

Doug M.
Skier
1610369907969.png

Sun Valley is an incredible mountain, especially if you're lucky enough (or plan well) to be there when the mountain has full coverage. I'm fortunate to have a good friend who lived there and knows folks who still live there full time. They know exactly where to be on the mountain and at what time no matter which side of the **ropes you're on. Unfortunately there have also been a few yers where they just say "don't bother coming over unless you want to pound the man-made groomers all day".

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Gear observations:
-Under the topic more BLANK than I seen anywhere else...
--K2 Disruptions
--Salomon S/Max
-Lots and LOTS of masters/race skis
-Most common seen models:
--Stockli Laser AX
--Salomon S/Max
-Hardly any older or out of date gear that would make me cringe other than a pair of Salomon SX90's

Older skiers galore. These guys and gals were really really good skiers all on the latest race derived skis.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I know I would love SV. It's on my bucket list. Too bad it's in the middle of nowhere. I doubt I could ever get my wife to move anywhere near it. We did visit it in the Summer while we were trekking through Idaho, but as a skier I almost hate visiting ski mountains when they don't have snow!

Sponsor

Staff online