Visiting Sun Valley

Andy Mink

I am a half fast skier.
SkiTalk Tester
I drove to Sun Valley with my girlfriend many moons ago when I was at CU Boulder. Talk a very long boring ride... By about 1/2 way back to Boulder, she wasn't my girlfriend anymore.
I driven across and up and down Nevada numerous times. I've been training for the drive to, well, anywhere! (Actually, love driving in Nevada. It's a different kind of beautiful.)

Tom K.

HRPufnStf
Skier
Two years ago on the day after demo days, Ken Edwards, the boot fitter ONE OF THE BEST BOOT FITTERS IN THE WORLD AND AN ALL AROUND GREAT GUY LOCATED at River Run
FIFY

They used to have a plaque in the Warm Springs base lodge about an old time former ski patroller that did 104k in a day.
He did a great article in Powder on this. "Turned only when I absolutely had to" was one of the statements IIRC.

I didn't get to ski Exhibition.
Oh Phil, we are all so disappointed in you. That is how a real skier closes out every day at SV (given adequate coverage, of course). One of the many cool things about SV is that if you are on an ungroomed run in the afternoon, you are probably alone.

FUN THREAD!!! Thanks to everybody. Mrs. K and I historically pay two 8-day visits to SV every season. Long fall lines, great bumps (that almost nobody skis), friends in the valley, easy drive, great deal on the same condo for the last 11 years, etc., etc..

This year, we've moved, and, well, you know, that other thing, so we're taking a one-year break. The saying "well, it's not called Snow Valley" is typically true, but a few years ago we had 72 inches of cold snow in 8 days. Wow!

Sun Valley Rover.JPG

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
FIFY

He did a great article in Powder on this. "Turned only when I absolutely had to" was one of the statements IIRC.

Oh Phil, we are all so disappointed in you. That is how a real skier closes out every day at SV (given adequate coverage, of course). One of the many cool things about SV is that if you are on an ungroomed run in the afternoon, you are probably alone.

FUN THREAD!!! Thanks to everybody. Mrs. K and I historically pay two 8-day visits to SV every season. Long fall lines, great bumps (that almost nobody skis), friends in the valley, easy drive, great deal on the same condo for the last 11 years, etc., etc..

This year, we've moved, and, well, you know, that other thing, so we're taking a one-year break. The saying "well, it's not called Snow Valley" is typically true, but a few years ago we had 72 inches of cold snow in 8 days. Wow!

View attachment 120815
Must have been the year/time when my old shed next to the garage collapsed. Worst thing was that the snow blower was in it.

Tom K.

HRPufnStf
Skier
Must have been the year/time when my old shed next to the garage collapsed. Worst thing was that the snow blower was in it.
February 15, 2019.

There was another year where our February trip was, well, bleak, other than good xc up at Galena. We were ready to cancel our March trip, then it snowed about a million inches between the two trips.

We were gifted with what several long-time locals called the best week of corn in the bowls ever. Just astounding.

All this just goes to show that while skiing may be a fickle mistress, she is worth the trouble!