• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Visiting Sun Valley

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I drove to Sun Valley with my girlfriend many moons ago when I was at CU Boulder. Talk a very long boring ride... By about 1/2 way back to Boulder, she wasn't my girlfriend anymore.
I driven across and up and down Nevada numerous times. I've been training for the drive to, well, anywhere! (Actually, love driving in Nevada. It's a different kind of beautiful.)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two years ago on the day after demo days, Ken Edwards, the boot fitter ONE OF THE BEST BOOT FITTERS IN THE WORLD AND AN ALL AROUND GREAT GUY LOCATED at River Run

FIFY

They used to have a plaque in the Warm Springs base lodge about an old time former ski patroller that did 104k in a day.

He did a great article in Powder on this. "Turned only when I absolutely had to" was one of the statements IIRC.

I didn't get to ski Exhibition.

Oh Phil, we are all so disappointed in you. That is how a real skier closes out every day at SV (given adequate coverage, of course). One of the many cool things about SV is that if you are on an ungroomed run in the afternoon, you are probably alone.

FUN THREAD!!! Thanks to everybody. Mrs. K and I historically pay two 8-day visits to SV every season. Long fall lines, great bumps (that almost nobody skis), friends in the valley, easy drive, great deal on the same condo for the last 11 years, etc., etc..

This year, we've moved, and, well, you know, that other thing, so we're taking a one-year break. The saying "well, it's not called Snow Valley" is typically true, but a few years ago we had 72 inches of cold snow in 8 days. Wow!

Sun Valley Rover.JPG

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FIFY

He did a great article in Powder on this. "Turned only when I absolutely had to" was one of the statements IIRC.

Oh Phil, we are all so disappointed in you. That is how a real skier closes out every day at SV (given adequate coverage, of course). One of the many cool things about SV is that if you are on an ungroomed run in the afternoon, you are probably alone.

FUN THREAD!!! Thanks to everybody. Mrs. K and I historically pay two 8-day visits to SV every season. Long fall lines, great bumps (that almost nobody skis), friends in the valley, easy drive, great deal on the same condo for the last 11 years, etc., etc..

This year, we've moved, and, well, you know, that other thing, so we're taking a one-year break. The saying "well, it's not called Snow Valley" is typically true, but a few years ago we had 72 inches of cold snow in 8 days. Wow!

View attachment 120815

Must have been the year/time when my old shed next to the garage collapsed. Worst thing was that the snow blower was in it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Must have been the year/time when my old shed next to the garage collapsed. Worst thing was that the snow blower was in it.

February 15, 2019.

There was another year where our February trip was, well, bleak, other than good xc up at Galena. We were ready to cancel our March trip, then it snowed about a million inches between the two trips.

We were gifted with what several long-time locals called the best week of corn in the bowls ever. Just astounding.

All this just goes to show that while skiing may be a fickle mistress, she is worth the trouble!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Is there a downhill course at Sun Valley? The choices would be nearly unlimited. Way back there was but they didn't run it on Baldy.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
They ran the US Nationals a few years back on a combination of Warm Springs and Greyhawk. The nets are still in place on the traverse from Warm Springs to Upper Greyhawk.

Just back from our annual MLK weekend trip to Sun Valley. Good time as always. Conditions were not bad—less snow than last year but some good skiing to be had. The bowls were soft on Saturday and Sunday as the sun warmed them. A little disappointed that the new terrain is not open yet but may be able to get back up later in the year.

James

Out There
Instructor
Kinda reminds me of the Striefalm at Kitzbuhel...
Graham Bell is something. His brother Martin, another downhiller, taught at an epic ski academy once. He also used to post occasionally on epic.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I shared a chairlift ride one time at SV with an off duty ski instructor. He told me that as long as you are in control and not a danger to yourself and others, you can ski as fast as you want without any bother from the Ski Patrol.

Not quite true. Many years ago, my 14 yr old daughter was skiing on her Fisher FIS slalom skis. At the May Day chair, a ski patrol politely asked her to slow down. He was more worried about other skiers. She looked at the patroller with a bit of confusion before she responded. She told him that she cannot go very fast on her skis, since she is on her technical skis and not her speed skis. She was polite, but serious. The patroller just started to laugh and he told here that he had never heard such a response to "please slow down".

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not quite true. Many years ago, my 14 yr old daughter was skiing on her Fisher FIS slalom skis. At the May Day chair, a ski patrol politely asked her to slow down.

Yeah, they fired that guy the next day......

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
Not quite true. Many years ago, my 14 yr old daughter was skiing on her Fisher FIS slalom skis. At the May Day chair, a ski patrol politely asked her to slow down.

Most likely a result of her age and the run she was on. My kids get the hand gestures to slow down way more often than I do at the same speeds. My son was stopped early this season. I wasn't there, so I can only relay his account of it. I don't doubt it was warranted. Unfortunately, it didn't sound like a polite conversation from the adult (guest services not patroller). It was a good opportunity for a parent discussion about respect as well as skiers etiquette.

There are various runs marked "family area" that you need to watch your speed on, but for the most part, if you are skiing in control and keeping your distance from other skiers, you are good. If speed is your thing, you can definitely find it in SV.

Sponsor

Staff online