• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vist Bindings Question

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
What I know about bindings I could fit on the back of a postage stamp. Okay, maybe a business card. But large font. Premier Skis sells both the Vist Speedlock Pro Superlight and Speedcom plates with the VPA 412 binding. For a front side upper 70s width ski used for groomers (60-70%) but also some bumps and off piste, does one plate make a better choice over the other? All of my present and past skis had either Marker or Tyrolia bindings sans plates, so Vist and plates are both new territory for me. I appreciate any advice.

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor
What I know about bindings I could fit on the back of a postage stamp. Okay, maybe a business card. But large font. Premier Skis sells both the Vist Speedlock Pro Superlight and Speedcom plates with the VPA 412 binding. For a front side upper 70s width ski used for groomers (60-70%) but also some bumps and off piste, does one plate make a better choice over the other? All of my present and past skis had either Marker or Tyrolia bindings sans plates, so Vist and plates are both new territory for me. I appreciate any advice.

Come on, man! You know more than that...

As far as the VIST systems go, think of the Speedcom as being very similar to bindings where the bindings are mounted on a rail (the Head Tyrolia PowerRail system comes to mind as an example) and are easily adjusted for your boot sole length. The Speedlock system is a system designed for a higher level of performance where first, a plate is mounted on the ski, and then the bindings attached to the plate. The Speedlock also features the ability to easily adjust for different boot sole lengths. Both systems are not "fixed" in the sense that the rail and/or plate are mounted in such a way that it still allows the ski to flex as designed.

One major caveat: Of these two bindings only the Speedcom is GripWalk compatible.

So what to choose? If you are an aggressive skier who wants to put the ski on a higher edge angle and maximize the power inherent in the ski, get the Speedlock system. The only caution: the plate system will make the overall weight of the ski and binding heavier, and might not be appropriate for lighter weight skiers. Personally, I ski on the Blossom White Out (77 mm waist) with this system and find it works well in all conditions.

Mike

TS
Skeezer

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the detailed information Mike, that helped this pilgrim a lot. You answered all questions including my main concern which was that both systems will allow the ski to flex as intended. Although I will mainly use it on groomers, I also want compliance for bumps and off piste. Looks like the weight difference is 130 grams per plate which I don’t think will be a problem. I do like the idea of the high edge angle capability of the Speedlock. Thanks again for your help!

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just a FYI. The 412 bindings on SpeedLock and SpeedCom are different ones. Both are good, but the ones on SpeedLock are heavier, beefier and have more metal in them.

Thanks for the detailed information Mike, that helped this pilgrim a lot. You answered all questions including my main concern which was that both systems will allow the ski to flex as intended. Although I will mainly use it on groomers, I also want compliance for bumps and off piste. Looks like the weight difference is 130 grams per plate which I don’t think will be a problem. I do like the idea of the high edge angle capability of the Speedlock. Thanks again for your help!

TS
Skeezer

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
I missed that, good catch. One is a VSP412 binding (Speedcom plate) the other is a VPA412 binding (Speedlock plate). Specs show both Bindings weigh 1030 grams each on Blossom website.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I own multiple pairs of both bindings. Please see the attached pics.
One is 1030 grams the other is 860 grams.
Do not except an Italian company to get all their spec numbers correct on its website...

You can also check at http://www.visttech.it/catalog/ (does not work on mobile device)

F7DF0015-E94D-4866-9035-881B951D9AB3.jpeg

12CC3C95-1F6D-4C90-8859-FF75BD4C71E9.jpeg

I missed that, good catch. One is a VSP412 binding (Speedcom plate) the other is a VPA412 binding (Speedlock plate). Specs show both Bindings weigh 1030 grams each on Blossom website.

TS
Skeezer

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, yup that does not match the Blossom website for the VSP412 binding (shows 1030g). That makes for a 300 gram plate and binding pair per ski difference best I can tell. My muscle fatigue calculator shows that would mean 2000 less vertical feet per ski day before I’d need a beer.⛷

Sponsor

Staff online