• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volkl Deacon 72 or Rossignol Experience 82 Ti

tfisher

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am a rookie here with my first post. I am in the market for my first ski in 10+ years, moving onward from my Rossingnol Advenger 76TI 170cm, which I loved.
I am male 5'8" 160 pounds and ski in Ellicottville, NY every winter weekend with my family. My skiing has toned down over the years to mainly medium radius carving, but still like to rip it up with when we get a good dump of lake effect. Will ski everything available on our hill.

Looking for a fun ski that carves nicely and will get me through the usual east coast mix on groomers, the occasional dump of snow and heavier spring skiing. Will be skiing at Revelstoke BC for a week this year, but will just rent.

I have visited our local ski shop and they put me into a Volkl Deacon 72 173cm and didn't have the Rossignol Experience line up.. with no word on why when I asked. When I went back to pick up my Volkl's 3 days later, the Rossignol magically appeared in stock on the wall. I have read good things on the Volkl, however since I had such a good experience with Rossingnol, I was looking for some advice and wondering if its worth the "possible" switch to Experience 82 Ti.

I've combed through the post's and read/watched what ever reviews I can find, but hope you guys can give some reco's.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW I love my Rossi 86tis and I'm no "Rossi Guy".

The 82ti is similar, and certainly seems to be well-received and well-reviewed.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'd vote for another ski entirely, Stockli Laser SC. I grew up in Buffalo, managed The Ski Market store on Transit, so am not stranger to E-ville and the ski scene there.

My everyday driver in CO as an instructor is the Laser AX (now Montero AX). The SC is a much more competent carver. The AX more well rounded. The Stockli will be a bit more lively than the Rossi or Volkl. The AX will handle a wider variety of terrain and snow conditions that any of the before mentioned skis. Choose accordingly. Do book a few days of lessons.

You may want to go one size down. Shorter ski = more positive edge engagement.

Good luck.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January