• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volkl Kendo versus Mantra vid

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
This video does not have the Kendo in it but on my YT page all the other recent ski vids are the Kendo. Back story, a good friend who is a monster skier in Tahoe recommended the Mantra, but i was coming from a 77 under foot (15 year old Head monster) and we agreed the jump to 96 waist might be too much. So opted for the Kendo which I really like a lot -Fast pretty stable, good in powder and a carving machine.

As you'll hear me commenting in the video the mantra does all that and better! Wider = more stable at higher speeds, yet it carves even more aggressive and is plenty snappy edge to edge. Part of why I am posting this is to ask what part of the design allows it to be wide yet such a great carving ski?
Lastly, as you see in the vid not a true powder day, but a little taste of it's ability to float and glide through the powder.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love the M6 as well. But it and the kendo are different classes of ski; serve different purposes.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This video does not have the Kendo in it but on my YT page all the other recent ski vids are the Kendo. Back story, a good friend who is a monster skier in Tahoe recommended the Mantra, but i was coming from a 77 under foot (15 year old Head monster) and we agreed the jump to 96 waist might be too much. So opted for the Kendo which I really like a lot -Fast pretty stable, good in powder and a carving machine.

As you'll hear me commenting in the video the mantra does all that and better! Wider = more stable at higher speeds, yet it carves even more aggressive and is plenty snappy edge to edge. Part of why I am posting this is to ask what part of the design allows it to be wide yet such a great carving ski?
Lastly, as you see in the vid not a true powder day, but a little taste of it's ability to float and glide through the powder.

You NEED those M6's.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I bought them!

I have always liked Mantras, demoed the M5's and loved them as well. Did not get to demo the M6 but I am sure I would have loved them. Got the Head Kore 99's this time but almost bought the M5's. I found the Kores locally at a great price. Love them as well.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have always liked Mantras, demoed the M5's and loved them as well. Did not get to demo the M6 but I am sure I would have loved them. Got the Head Kore 99's this time but almost bought the M5's. I found the Kores locally at a great price. Love them as well.
The Kore was on my radar and Powder 7 had a smoking deal but I really wanted to try the ski before I purchased and my local pro shop had the matra in my size!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How would you describe the difference?
Just comparing the categories:

Skis like mantra m6 are a 50/50 ski equally happy for frontside and backside. Aka, western daily driver.

Skis like a kendo are 70/30ish frontside vs. backside. So more of a versatile ski for low snow times in the west.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just comparing the categories:

Skis like mantra m6 are a 50/50 ski equally happy for frontside and backside. Aka, western daily driver.

Skis like a kendo are 70/30ish frontside vs. backside. So more of a versatile ski for low snow times in the west.
I feel like the Kendo is less versatile due to the Mantra's ability to mash the crud and carve more stable at high speeds. I will report back after this coming weekend as we will be in some gnar slush due to lows on the Mt in the 40's and high's approaching upper 60's out here in Calif :doh:

James

Out There
Instructor
The Kendo has gone through many iterations. The Mantra prob even more drastic changes. So much that it’s only the same in name. Like from fully cambered fat race ski to reverse camber, back to camber, then all sorts of other changes.

Wider = more stable at higher speeds,
Yeah, that’s not true. There’s more to skis than width.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Kendo has gone through many iterations. The Mantra prob even more drastic changes. So much that it’s only the same in name. Like from fully cambered fat race ski to reverse camber, back to camber, then all sorts of other changes.

Just reporting what I have experienced in the 2 days on them. But I agree there is more in the lay build than I can comprehend.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

The Kendo used to be a 2x4 even for me. Not anymore it seems. I never tried the full rocker Mantra, I think it was a mistake though. The others (with camber) have all been good and although they have changed somewhat in feel the spirit is still there (all-mountain, charger, solid on hard snow and crud)

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm intrigued that you found the Mantra to carve better than the Kendo. I always thought it would be the other way around as the narrower ski would be a little quicker edge to edge and transfer more pressure to your edge=bite better. Any insight here to if they have different constructions or anything else that might influence why the OP would experience the Mantra to be a better carver?

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm intrigued that you found the Mantra to carve better than the Kendo. I always thought it would be the other way around as the narrower ski would be a little quicker edge to edge and transfer more pressure to your edge=bite better. Any insight here to if they have different constructions or anything else that might influence why the OP would experience the Mantra to be a better carver?
I will re phrase 'just as good (at high speeds) with more stability under foot' hence better!

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Kendo used to be a 2x4 even for me. Not anymore it seems. I never tried the full rocker Mantra, I think it was a mistake though. The others (with camber) have all been good and although they have changed somewhat in feel the spirit is still there (all-mountain, charger, solid on hard snow and crud)
One thing I've learned is I cannot have an opinion of a ski without trying it. :huh:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will re phrase 'just as good (at high speeds) with more stability under foot' hence better!

I find the ”more stability under foot” comment interesting, if it were hard, no? In slush or boot deep it makes total sense.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I find the ”more stability under foot” comment interesting, if it were hard, no? In slush or boot deep it makes total sense.

Much depend on the skill set of the skier. Many skiers find wider skis to be more stable. Easier to accommodate lateral balance issues.

Kendo is much quicker ski. Especially in hard snow and bumps. The Mantra feels softer in the tip. That softness allows the ski to be pull into the turn easier in softer snow. Giving a sense of better carving than the Kendo.

Sponsor

Staff online