• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volkl Kendo versus Mantra vid

James

Out There
Instructor
^ That’s Mr Kendo talking. Not sure there’s a generation he hasn’t owned and worn out.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nope fast groomers and a bit of crud. Have you skied on them both?

Only a Kendo a generation or two ago (don't own one myself), so my question is out of pure curiousity. I was under the impression that the Mantra and Kendo were pretty much exactly the same construction, only width seperating them, and that would in theory make the Kendo a better carver inme. But perhaps there are differences as @KingGrump pointed out, a softer tip on the Mantra.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Mantra feels easier to engage and carve in soft snow. As the snow get firmer, the Kendo becomes the more competent and enjoyable carver.

TS
cragginshred

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Good perspectives! Either way both killer skis for me. I had not upgraded in 17 years so this year I have learned more about skis and current designs and had more fun skiing this season than since I have begun back in 1978! :beercheer:

coldski

Putting on skis
Skier
Only a Kendo a generation or two ago (don't own one myself), so my question is out of pure curiousity. I was under the impression that the Mantra and Kendo were pretty much exactly the same construction, only width seperating them, and that would in theory make the Kendo a better carver inme. But perhaps there are differences as @KingGrump pointed out, a softer tip on the Mantra.

coldski

Putting on skis
Skier
From SoothSki web site Both skis 177 cm 20/23 models Sorry about the formatting

M6 Mantra Kendo

Tip width (mm)135128
Waist width (mm)9587
Tail width (mm)118112
Sidecut radius (m)18.417.3
Mass & Float
Mass (g)20302202
Surface-to-weight Ratio (cm²/g)0.940.81
Base Area (cm²)19141792
Stiffnesses
Bending (EI) Stiffness Index12 / 23 / 41 / 21 / 711 / 21 / 41 / 22 / 7
Torsional (GJ) Stiffness Index16 / 32 / 57 / 26 / 914 / 29 / 52 / 25 / 9
Avg. Bending Stiffness (EI)211207
Avg. Torsional Stiffness (GJ)143130

Farzad

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi All
Need your advise,I am about to buy a new pair of skis. I used to ski 82 underfoot , a lot of great things about Mantra but I like quick short turn frontside and also powder, I like stability and minimal chatter. A friend of mine keeps telling me to go with Mantra but not quite sure yet, any suggestions? Also I am 164 and I am skiing 174, what size, if I buy Mantra should I get? 163 or 170?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi All
Need your advise,I am about to buy a new pair of skis. I used to ski 82 underfoot , a lot of great things about Mantra but I like quick short turn frontside and also powder, I like stability and minimal chatter. A friend of mine keeps telling me to go with Mantra but not quite sure yet, any suggestions? Also I am 164 and I am skiing 174, what size, if I buy Mantra should I get? 163 or 170?

For front side, between the M6 and the 5th gen Kendo, go with the Kendo.
Pro tip, skip the 4th gen Kendo.

The real answer to your question is neither.
If you really want "quick short turns frontside and also powder", go with a narrow front side carver.
If you want "quick short turns in frontside and also powder", go with an 10x and bring some powder chops.
If you want "quick short turns in frontside and also powder", can't help you there other than few 100+ day seasons to start with.

Length wise, depends.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I like quick short turn frontside and also powder
For me, this is an impossible combination, unless you ski in an old-school skidded turns-kind of style (nothing wrong with that, but most modern skis don't cater to that style very well). The combination you want is the 7-10 split of skiing.

The only skis I can think of that can handle deep snow and also do very well on groomers in relatively short turns if you set your mind to it (hard work though) are Fischer Ranger 90 and Nordica Enforcer 88. Most other skis in that category are either very much hard snow-oriented or playfully and rather soft snow-oriented (and slide all over the place on hard groomers). Or much narrower skis that are not much fun in powder.

This just goes to show that one-ski-quivers don't really exist. Going for two skis would be my advice.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, this is an impossible combination, unless you ski in an old-school skidded turns-kind of style (nothing wrong with that, but most modern skis don't cater to that style very well). The combination you want is the 7-10 split of skiing.

The only skis I can think of that can handle deep snow and also do very well on groomers in relatively short turns if you set your mind to it (hard work though) are Fischer Ranger 90 and Nordica Enforcer 88. Most other skis in that category are either very much hard snow-oriented or playfully and rather soft snow-oriented (and slide all over the place on hard groomers). Or much narrower skis that are not much fun in powder.

This just goes to show that one-ski-quivers don't really exist. Going for two skis would be my advice.

Line Blade? If he is lighter this might work.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi All

I interpreted the bold above as skiing that looks something like this:

IMO the M6 / Kendo design can works for this sort of skiing if you are strong / heavy enough to flex the ski easily and access 3d radius of the ski. But I think other skis do this easier and also with more fun and versatility.

The video segment above was a elan ripstick 88.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While not the Kendo 88 vs. Mantra 96, here is the sisters to these two skis, The Kenja vs the Secret 96

Farzad

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks all for all the advise. I think I will go with Kendo and will rent a fat ski if needed for the deep power. It's been fantastic. Thank you.