• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volkl Piston Race Plate Question

johnb

Booting up
Skier
I picked up my skis today. Thanks to the help from this site, I confirmed everything looks perfect with toe and placement, boot center. I do have the following questions to run by the community here.

My DIN is 8, I know this is correct. The toe is set to 8. The heel is set to 7. I asked why? The shop explained that when they test the release in the machine, that is how they determine the exact setting of the release force, rather than just relying on the number scale on the binding. Does this make sense to everyone here?

The forward tension screw is not screwed in flush with the housing of the binding. The boot is locked in solid. No wiggle in the toe. The tension feels correct, the force I need to lock in my boot feels normal and correct. I am thinking the flush with housing "rule" does not apply to these bindings?

Last the anti friction plate on the toe just barely makes contact with the bottom of the boot, but I read there should be 1/2 a MM of space, enough to slide a business card between boot bottom and anti friction plate. Again not sure if this "rule" applies to these bindings and boots?

I received a copy of the bindings release test.

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
I picked up my skis today. Thanks to the help from this site, I confirmed everything looks perfect with toe and placement, boot center. I do have the following questions to run by the community here.

My DIN is 8, I know this is correct. The toe is set to 8. The heel is set to 7. I asked why? The shop explained that when they test the release in the machine, that is how they determine the exact setting of the release force, rather than just relying on the number scale on the binding. Does this make sense to everyone here?
Yes
The forward tension screw is not screwed in flush with the housing of the binding. The boot is locked in solid. No wiggle in the toe. The tension feels correct, the force I need to lock in my boot feels normal and correct. I am thinking the flush with housing "rule" does not apply to these bindings?
Is the screw sticking out, or recessed a bit into the heel? Is the screw sitting in the same position of both heels?
Last the anti friction plate on the toe just barely makes contact with the bottom of the boot, but I read there should be 1/2 a MM of space, enough to slide a business card between boot bottom and anti friction plate. Again not sure if this "rule" applies to these bindings and boots?
The XComp toes do not have any adjustment for this and don't need it. The entire AFD is on a track and will move with the boot during release.
I received a copy of the bindings release test.

johnb

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for clearing up my questions. Only remaining possible issue is forward tension screw. It is sticking out a bit, equal on both bindings. I have attached a photo of each binding. Again, the tension feels correct, the force to lock in the boot. No wiggle in toe. If these where in flush, I doubt I could even get the boot in.

Attachments

• 20230709_072224.jpg
    20230709_072224.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230709_072152.jpg
    20230709_072152.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 23

johnb

Booting up
Skier
I was thinking the same. Adjust the forward pressure with the boot locked in? To the right, clockwise?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was thinking the same. Adjust the forward pressure with the boot locked in? To the right, clockwise?
Yes, an extra clockwise click or two(1/4 to 1/2 turn)to make it actually flush(hair out still) and then most do another click or two past that so it’s SLIGHTLY inside the outer housing.

Flush

IMG_2939.jpeg

2 extra clicks in

IMG_2940.jpeg

Last edited:

johnb

Booting up
Skier
Ok 2 more clicks made the screw flush. Then I went 1 more click to slightly inside the housing. I call it perfect by my eye. Clicked boot in and out several times, screw did not move. I am ready to go, thank you everyone! This has amazing members!

Attachments

• 20230709_163102.jpg
    20230709_163102.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230709_162837.jpg
    20230709_162837.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 24

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Yes - My ski tech set up my bindings like this after I was having pre release issues. Takes the slop out of using the approved range and sets the bindings on point. Immediately took all my skis to the shop to be set up the same way and have had no problems since. This is the correct way to set a binding in my world. The majority of the ski world follows the standard procedure.

johnb

Booting up
Skier
This is my bindings test report. In the interest of learning, if someone could confirm? I believe it means both bindings are set to release at 271 nm of force. The corresponding visual indicates are set to achieve that? This works out to a general DIN of 8, but the actual release is specifically for me based on the machine, DIN 8 is a general range.

Attachments

• 20230712_113315.jpg
    20230712_113315.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 22

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is my bindings test report. In the interest of learning, if someone could confirm? I believe it means both bindings are set to release at 271 nm of force. The corresponding visual indicates are set to achieve that?
Yes
This works out to a general DIN of 8, but the actual release is specifically for me based on the machine, DIN 8 is a general range.
The DIN indicators on bindings are not precision instruments. There is manufacturing variability within the binding as well as variability with the boot/binding interface. The binding test machine takes all of that variability out of the equation to get you to a true DIN of 8.

Sponsor

Staff online