• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Want To Buy Volkl Racetiger FIS SL

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
Looking for Volkl Racetiger FIS SL 165 .Only skis , do not need Bindings .

Please Let me know if anyone has any.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s a tough find to get a 165 Fis SL ski used in decent shape. They do exist. Not sure I would do it without seeing it unless from a trusted source. Some of those skis have very thin edges to begin with new.
If you want to go to the shorter one, there’s usually a lot more available.

TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
It’s a tough find to get a 165 Fis SL ski used in decent shape. They do exist. Not sure I would do it without seeing it unless from a trusted source. Some of those skis have very thin edges to begin with new.
If you want to go to the shorter one, there’s usually a lot more available.
Are you saying those skis ,even new, has thin metal at edge ?
Shorter will not work for me , I am 6 foot tall :).

James

Out There
Instructor
Are you saying those skis ,even new, has thin metal at edge ?
Shorter will not work for me , I am 6 foot tall :).
Yes, many new Fis skis have very thin metal edges. Last years Blizzard is pretty thin. My Fischer gs ski is thin. (Few years old but new) Drives me crazy.

Shorter will “work”. Depends what for. People bigger than you were racing on 155’s years ago. Swiss racer Ramon Zenhausern is 6’8” and he’s on a 165 too. (Though it wouldn’t be something you could buy.)

TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes, many new Fis skis have very thin metal edges. Last years Blizzard is pretty thin. My Fischer gs ski is thin. (Few years old but new) Drives me crazy.

Shorter will “work”. Depends what for. People bigger than you were racing on 155’s years ago. Swiss racer Ramon Zenhausern is 6’8” and he’s on a 165 too. (Though it wouldn’t be something you could buy.)
I thought it was only me seeing this that metal is thin , Thank you for this info. BTW, Those elans I have for sale has Thick metal :)

As far as 155 vs 165 , I like to do combo of Short /Long turns, plus like speed, so 165 really works best for me.
Thank you

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I thought it was only me seeing this that metal is thin
Last season I bought a new pair of Dynastars and paid a lot more than a new pair of Blizzard’s because the Dynastars have much more edge. A lot more. I actually wouldn’t mind picking up a pair of the Blizzards. I prefer them in spring corn snow.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I have a pair from a few years ago collecting dust at my parents'. I can see if they're in good shape or not. They were coaching skis for a while.

TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a pair from a few years ago collecting dust at my parents'. I can see if they're in good shape or not. They were coaching skis for a while.
Please do this and you can send me pictures in message .
I will be waiting :)

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
As DanoT mentioned in another thread. Ptex is faster than metal. I quit buying fis skis because of the thin edges. Went back to regular SL skis.

xwpracer

Booting up
Skier
One of the biggest differences between a "real FIS race ski" and those available to the consumer, are the width, not the depth of the edge. Real F1 level equipment, be it cars, bikes, skis, tennis rackets, or running shoes, are meant to provide the highest level of performance, without regard to longevity. That's one of the reasons for tools to shave back the sidewall of race skis, so to be able to prolong the useful life of the ski.

James

Out There
Instructor
Unless one is < 20 point FIS slalom racer, really thin edges make absolutely no difference except shorten the life of the ski. Doubt even 20 points is low enough.

Yeah it’s “faster”, that speed difference is gone in less than half a not great turn. It’s just a crock of crap. You could have a shop grind down a decent size edge if you want.

FIS skis available to buy have nothing to do with wcup racing skis, even less Formula 1 cars.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Unless one is < 20 point FIS slalom racer, really thin edges make absolutely no difference except shorten the life of the ski. Doubt even 20 points is low enough.

Yeah it’s “faster”, that speed difference is gone in less than half a not great turn. It’s just a crock of crap. You could have a shop grind down a decent size edge if you want.

FIS skis available to buy have nothing to do with wcup racing skis, even less Formula 1 cars.
20 SL points would put you at about 85th in the world (men), or about 65th for women. So, better at SL than Federica Brignone.

xwpracer

Booting up
Skier
"Not like F1 racing at all"? It's the pinnacle of the sport where hundredths of a second matter, and equipment is meant to be disposable. I guess that was too subtle an analogy,

Sponsor

Staff online