• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volkl UVO Damper vs Deacon Master Tailored Carbon Tip

bazza

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all,

Been having a look around and saw the new Deacon Masters (72 and 76) from Volkl have moved away from the UVO damper found on the Racetigers and Deacon 74, and instead gone to the Tailored Carbon Tip found in the Mantra. What would be the logic behind that? Obviously on paper both serve the same chatter removing character (with the carbon tip doing a bit more with flex too), but in terms of actual skiability what kind of difference will be noticeable on snow?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't worry about semantics ... the ski rocks.

TS
B

bazza

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Definitely not worried, at this rate I'll be buying the 72 Master this year for Australia because I want something a bit more versatile than my Racetiger SLs, was more just curious if someone smarter than me knew a bit more about the thought process

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
I kind of have an obsession for UVO discs. I’ve mounted a few on a few o free ride skis and liked the effects, Doesn’t really help your situation though. I just think they work.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Scary to admit but, yes. Before I started working in a shop I glued up a piece of aluminum and gasket rubber.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Not really sure. I have the UVO dampener mounted (by default) on my Racetiger GS MY 2016-2017 IIRC (shop graded, with rMotion plate) in 175 cm. Never had the opportunity to check a model without (there weren't in the catalogue and did not want to unmount it just to "see" the difference). This said I am considering "upgrading" the bindings system by unmounting the rMotion and mounting a Piston plate. That is going to be, IMHO, the real differentiator.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I have occasionally wondered about adding UVO's to heavily rockered powder skis that carve ok but have tons of tip flap. Never got around to trying it but my concern is the extra swing weight and accurately placing them.

Also, FWIW, I have a pair of 2014 Volkl GS skis and it is hard to ride a chair "single" without having to explain what that thing on my skis is. Even lefties ask. This first version is pretty bulky compared to the more recent ones.

James

Out There
Instructor
Also, FWIW, I have a pair of 2014 Volkl GS skis and it is hard to ride a chair "single" without having to explain what that thing on my skis is. Even lefties ask.
It’s like Fischer slaloms with the hole in the tip. Everyone wants to know what it’s for. It gets so tiring I just make stuff up. Like, they’re reducing waste and recycling that. Or, they’re too cheap to make it solid. If I’m taking them off at the racks I demonstrate how it’s for lifting them up and hanging on the wall.

Thing is, when you start with the real reason, most just become a glazed donut and don’t really want to hear about ski tip design.