• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volkswagen To End Production Of Golf For U.S. Market

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Based on my experience with the GTI, it had a bit too much HP for a two wheel drive vehicle. I can't imagine dumping more HP on those two drive wheels. It wasn't so much a matter of control in driving mtn roads, but rather HP being wasted on wheel spin when cornering launching etc. In a RWD vehicle you'd have the drama of understeer. In a FWD it just felt like wasted energy.

Still.... an awesome vehicle.

What’s funny/“why don’t they do that from the factory?” is how much difference going from soft rubber lower engine mounts to slightly stiffer polyurethane ones on higher HP FWD cars like the GTI or Mini S/JCW.
First mod I always do is swap out this $50 part in about 15 mins and it cuts torque steer and wheel hop dramatically as well as shifting better. Way less wasted power and much more direct response from the engine.

Only drawback is super hard “race” bushings have more vibrations when sitting idle but mine have all been “factory like” with the softer “street” versions.

There are so many aftermarket modifications on cars like this it’s insane!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lots of errors in that report as that engine produces 261hp, not 161hp and I’ve seen about 4 or 5 articles on the Corolla GR version and they all seem to say “the AWD of the Yaris GR will not be available on the Corolla GR ”.

Might get lucky but I bet it’s too costly to redesign the Corolla platform for AWD vs just putting the more powerful engine in the existing one.
OK, that was dated Jan 11 '21, the following video Jan 20 '21, he says we don't know if AWD will or will not be an option -
and If not, at least we still have the affordable AWD Mazda 3 turbo hatchback (I'm not a fan of the BMW Mini Coopers, would ok if leasing, otherwise I'm not interested).

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Didn’t even know Mazda was doing a turbo AWD Mazda 3! Had a few Mazda over years and liked them.
The new turbo Corolla reminded me of the old Mazdaspeed 3 which was really quick when modded. Had friends with them and they loved them. Only FWD back then so a AWD version is awesome.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I'm really not surprised that the base model Golfs are being discontinued here. I think the Jetta is more popular family ride. I was never interested in the GTI or the R. I use to get my horsepower/performance fix on my motorcycles which I gave up after our first was born. Now I get the same thrill skiing. I was more disappointed when I learned the the Sportwagen was discontinued in 2019. We are currently looking for a used manual shift Sportwagen 4-motion.

My first VW was a 1978 Golf (Rabbit). Since then we've owned two other Golfs hatchbacks, four Jettas, a couple of Passats, a Eurovan and now finally a 2017 Golf Sportwagen that Volkswagen "gave" us for selling back our 2013 Jetta TDI and our 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. My 97 Passat TDI finally was totaled after it came to an abrupt stop by hitting a curb and crunching the intercooler. If I could have found an intercooler the car would still be on the road. It only had around 250,000 miles on it. Of them all there were 6 TDIs and 5 gas VWs.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Didn’t even know Mazda was doing a turbo AWD Mazda 3! Had a few Mazda over years and liked them.
The new turbo Corolla reminded me of the old Mazdaspeed 3 which was really quick when modded. Had friends with them and they loved them. Only FWD back then so a AWD version is awesome.
So far I have not had body rust with Toyota's, all bought new and the latter models kept 10 and another on 15 years. Mazda Rx7 I had was a rust bucket by that time line. I would hope Mazda's metal got better, IDK, have a bitter taste from it, the Honda from years back too, bad metallurgy.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had numerous VW products, 15 or so including our current Alltrack. I will miss the Golf but keeping the GTI & R keeps the flame going. I'd like to see VW bring over the Polo (and Polo GTI) which really is a closer spiritual replacement for the Rabbits we all grew up loving.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I have had numerous VW products, 15 or so including our current Alltrack. I will miss the Golf but keeping the GTI & R keeps the flame going. I'd like to see VW bring over the Polo (and Polo GTI) which really is a closer spiritual replacement for the Rabbits we all grew up loving.

Audi, at least, is scrapping the TT platform and going electric. My guess is that VW will gravitate towards EVs as well. The performance is compelling.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So far I have not had body rust with Toyota's, all bought new and the latter models kept 10 and another on 15 years. Mazda Rx7 I had was a rust bucket by that time line. I would hope Mazda's metal got better, IDK, have a bitter taste from it, the Honda from years back too, bad metallurgy.
Automotive rust in general took a big step forward in the 90's with wide implementation of effective e-coating solutions. The Taurus went from a rust-bucket to a solid body almost overnight. We designed and built the e-coat facility at Ford's Oakville plant. E-coat was a step forward like fuel injection. Huge.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wife has a 2018 Mazda 3 hatch. Very nice car, but it is small. Mazda interiors have become teriffic, coming close to Audi and BMW standards. Mazda also has the new CX-30 compact SUV which is also available with a turbo 2.5.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Audi, at least, is scrapping the TT platform and going electric. My guess is that VW will gravitate towards EVs as well. The performance is compelling.
...but not the parking situation on many European urban residential streets....
Think we're potentially headed toward a period of EV haves and have nots based on readiness of charger access (and hence of course ongoing role of hybrids which are a not optimal solution)

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

Yes I suspect they are just keeping the performance versions of the Golf for the auto/hot hatch enthusiast. For small urban commuter car, full electric is making more sense as charging infrastructure improves and more government incentives to reduce/eliminate tailpipe emissions.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
...but not the parking situation on many European urban residential streets....
Think we're potentially headed toward a period of EV haves and have nots based on readiness of charger access (and hence of course ongoing role of hybrids which are a not optimal solution)

Agree that EV's are not an "Optimal solution". For those living in cities, a bike comes close. With COVID, it feels like cities are embracing bikes as a viable transportation alternative and executing on appropriate infrastructure. Ebikes are definitely jump starting that as well.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wife has a 2018 Mazda 3 hatch. Very nice car, but it is small. Mazda interiors have become teriffic, coming close to Audi and BMW standards. Mazda also has the new CX-30 compact SUV which is also available with a turbo 2.5.
Yet and as small as the old Mazda 3 hatch is, a friend was able to fit a NIB hot water heater purchased at Home Depot and bring it to my house for installation. On the other hand, packing skis in the car made for some cramped manual trans gear shifts! The FWD Limited-slip differential helped make it half decent in snow, no comparison to the Outback which replaced it but got the job done albeit with some nail-biting on my part, LOL.