• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vote on a bar tape for my Moots.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Do you use their jerseys? Very low price, wondering how they hold up.

They only just opened the US distro center; when they shipped from Oz it was almost double that :) Jerseys are OK, not a fan of the bibs even though I like the palette.

Reactions: Ron

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, red/orange is fastest, but black is always the answer w/r/t bar tape.

Oil slick is all the rage. Supacaz tape.

Well, reading this here confirms that Oil Slick is officially off the back.

Note: NOT directed at @Jersey Skier. Instead, at all of Ski Talk's -- ahem -- mature audience, most assuredly including self! :ogbiggrin:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Well, red/orange is fastest, but black is always the answer w/r/t bar tape.

Well, reading this here confirms that Oil Slick is officially off the back.

Note: NOT directed at @Jersey Skier. Instead, at all of SkiTalk's -- ahem -- mature audience, most assuredly including self! :ogbiggrin:
I ain't puttin that shit on my bike. Just throwin it out there. I have Black Supacaz.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
thanks All! Yeah, sticking with the Supacaz black. Its always fun to get everyone's input. I always do what I like in the end but its fun!

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Black. i have been very nicely surprised with the Enve tape. This coming from someone who only did Fizik micro suede or their “tacky” tape for almost a decade. Plus it’s longer, in case you run the hybrid aero gravel bars (flat tops w/ some flare).

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
good hear about the Enve tape. for the gravel bike, I am running Enve gravel bars, just not the new areo model Really like them a lot.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Talking of gravel bars, are any of you doing harlequin pattern wrap to get extra length to the flare?

Kinda like this:

I can do double-tape parallel (highlight ribbon) to the bend like this:

but I am terrible at harlequin. Just tried to do a set of 48cm (levers) to 59cm (flare) bars (because Liv tape is SHORT) and the result looks like a dog's breakfast.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Took me a good number of bars to get regular tape correct! And I did it for a living! I tore more crappy padded tape back then....

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Are any of you using tennis overgrip tape as a finishing tape?

If I rode in rain a lot I'd consider it - especially after witnessing Geraint Thomas' slipped grip today in Romandie....

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Heh. Between hand sweat and mostly riding when it's too wet to skate, I went through two sets of cables last year.
I'm thinking that the combination of Di2 and hydraulic lines means that I'll never replace my bar wrap again. It's a shame, because fresh bar wrap is right up there with with a new chain or cleats.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, you'll still want to remove that bar tape and replaced it on the regular. Alloy handlebars will corrode due to water and sweat buildup under the tape. Carbon bars can hide crash damage under the tape. Either can lead to catastrophic failure of the bar and an unpleasant dismount.

So yes: replace your bar tape on the regular, even if you're running electronic shifting and hydraulic braking.