• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VR Winter Operating Plan

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It shouldn't be too difficult to permanently open or remove gondola windows as a way to underscore the open air conveyance claim.

One of the resort I skied at last season did just that. Removed the movable portion of the window in the door. I believe it was either Killington or Stratton.

James

Out There
Instructor
One of the resort I skied at last season did just that. Removed the movable portion of the window in the door. I believe it was either Killington or Stratton.
Don’t think Killington did.
Is that the same horrible gondola Stratton had 15 years ago? Butt perches too high as I remember. Strange.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It'll be interesting to see if other resorts in UT "take advantage" of VRs policy by making their own Covid restrictions less...restrictive...in order to attract some of those skiers. Only fly in that ointment is that I don't see most of the resorts being able to absorb a lot of employees out sick, possibly for weeks, because of current staffing shortages. IMO the resorts should all be doing everything possible to keep their workforce healthy even if it is for bottom-line reasons.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don’t think Killington did.
Is that the same horrible gondola Stratton had 15 years ago? Butt perches too high as I remember. Strange.

Too high? Perhaps your hind quarters are over sized. :duck:I had no issues with it. :ogbiggrin:

Stratton got rid of the sardine can few seasons back. The original name for that can was Starship 12. Skis inside. 7 around the butt perch ledge and 5 in the middle. Dump a 5 gal can of EVOO inside and we can rename it to Cuisinart 12 if it falls off the cable.

The new cabins are 8 seaters. Actually 6 plus two (very) small children. The bench is quite narrow. Won't fit 4 standard sized American hind quarters comfortably. On top of that, the lower door hinges are placed perfectly to amputate the legs at boot top of the unsuspecting dude sitting by the door. Never seen anything like that in all my travels. :nono:

The first season they installed the new cabins, we had to take the skis & boards inside. Seems the racked skis/boards expressed a general predilection of bailing out part way up the ride. :nono: Guess they bought the new cabins off ebay rather than from a reputable dealer.
When I spoke with customer service and suggest they can use a bungee cord to secure the skis/boards. From the look of horror on their faces, I took that as a "HELL NO." My parting comment to them was "If it's good enough for Jackson. It's good enough for Stratton."
They eventually got around to fixing the racks the following season.

The old gondola was very sensitive to the wind. The new gondola cabin supposed to remedy that deficiency. Unfortunately, no.
They will often shut down or not run the gondola if Bromley has sold more than couple burritos across the way. :ogcool:

New Stratton gondola cabin.

1632333692169.png

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sounds like the Village gondola at Whistler until they replaced the cabins in 2014. I was tall enough, but if you were under 5'10", you were standing all the way (with your gear in hand because there were no outside board holders) because the perches were so high. And it's a looong ride.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like the Village gondola at Whistler until they replaced the cabins in 2014. I was tall enough, but if you were under 5'10", you were standing all the way (with your gear in hand because there were no outside board holders) because the perches were so high. And it's a looong ride.

Same one as the old one at Whistle. Intrawest used to own both resorts.
The trick is one have to be real short. I am 5'/6". I literally sit on the ledge with no issue. Most of the race brats just hop up onto the ledge and rest their boots on their toe binding.

Whistler gondola 2007
1632353198203.jpeg

Stratton gondola (random pic off the net)
1632353371026.png

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Permanent platinum, 5+ million miles, 13 years continuous Exec Platinum ... but more to the point, we have to show our papers to fly, so what's the difference for you?
Difference is ID is one thing, medical is another. Trying to condition people to separate themselves based on a shot is stupid, yet it has happened.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Difference is ID is one thing, medical is another. Trying to condition people to separate themselves based on a shot is stupid, yet it has happened.
I'm happy to avoid indoor contact with unvaccinated people. Requiring vaccination for school children is not controversial at all. Why should requiring vaccination for other public spaces be any different?

mm

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is not a place to debate the merits or policies of vaccination requirements, unless we're talking about Vail resorts policies that impact skiers/visitors.

Please get back on topic.

Thank you.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier

I'm happy to avoid indoor contact with unvaccinated people. Requiring vaccination for school children is not controversial at all. Why should requiring vaccination for other public spaces be any different?

mm

Completely agree with this and have not problem sharing my vaccine status. My concern is how complicated Vail has made this. There is going to be a ton of confusion around where you need to be vaccinated to enter and where you do not. This ambiguity is going to make it difficult to implement and will also create a lot of frustration. Wouldn't it be simpler to say all indoor, activities, lodges, dinning ...etc require patrons to be vaccinated. Unvaccinated patrons can enjoy our outdoor amenities ... full stop. Unfortunately I think the current Vail plan is really just a toe in the water so to speak. That said a lot will likely change between now and ski season.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think they could claim a gondola is an outdoor/open-air conveyance. Currently, the top open decks of a bus or a ferry is explictily cited as examples of open-air so they will slot into that category.
That logic is quite a stretch in my opinion. Open decks of buses and ferries don't have roofs, windows, sealing doors, etc. Such logic would make it possible to bypass the mandate just by propping a window or door open which could make just about all spaces exempt. Gondolas are particularly problematic since most of the windows do not open or open very little. Time will tell if and how it is enforced.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Completely agree with this and have not problem sharing my vaccine status. My concern is how complicated Vail has made this. There is going to be a ton of confusion around where you need to be vaccinated to enter and where you do not. This ambiguity is going to make it difficult to implement and will also create a lot of frustration. Wouldn't it be simpler to say all indoor, activities, lodges, dinning ...etc require patrons to be vaccinated. Unvaccinated patrons can enjoy our outdoor amenities ... full stop. Unfortunately I think the current Vail plan is really just a toe in the water so to speak. That said a lot will likely change between now and ski season.

Yeah I am really curious to see how it plays out. The vaccine requirement is just for the indoor cafeteria style eateries. The ones that are supposed to be a quick way to eat without reserved seating. I'm just imagining a long line out the door with people fumbling with pockets, gloves, goggles, etc and trying to pull a paper card out of layers of clothing while the 16 to 20something is inspecting 'papers.' Then the inevitable person who forgot the card getting PO'd and holding up the line...

And those same buildings have bathrooms... people shuffling down stairs to use the facilities, which don't require proof of anything to enter, just a mask. But oops, you left your jacket in the 'controlled area' on your seat, and it has your vaccine card in it! Theoretically, you aren't allowed to go back and get it. Maybe your hand was stamped when you entered?

:popcorn:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
For Whistler and in all other BC ski hills for indoor facilities, which certainly will include gondolas, both masks and vaccinations will be required. Also in all restaurants and public transit.

Its the current provincial requirement.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
For Whistler and in all other BC ski hills for indoor facilities, which certainly will include gondolas, both masks and vaccinations will be required. Also in all restaurants and public transit.

Its the current provincial requirement.
The exception in B.C. at ski resorts and elsewhere is retail stores and grocery stores just require masks, not proof of vaccine, principally I suspect because these places are where people are moving and not staying in one place and have proven to not be vectors of transmission.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those are deemed essential services. take out food it still ok provided you wear your mask going in to get it.

So should you choose to remain unvacinated starvation isnt required.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m willing to guess that VR simply applied the CDC guidelines where necessary and left the rest. I think that’s your “toe in the water.” Therefore they are CDC compliant without restricting everything. But it inevitably complicates some scenarios as you stated.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah I am really curious to see how it plays out. The vaccine requirement is just for the indoor cafeteria style eateries. The ones that are supposed to be a quick way to eat without reserved seating. I'm just imagining a long line out the door with people fumbling with pockets, gloves, goggles, etc and trying to pull a paper card out of layers of clothing while the 16 to 20something is inspecting 'papers.' Then the inevitable person who forgot the card getting PO'd and holding up the line...

And those same buildings have bathrooms... people shuffling down stairs to use the facilities, which don't require proof of anything to enter, just a mask. But oops, you left your jacket in the 'controlled area' on your seat, and it has your vaccine card in it! Theoretically, you aren't allowed to go back and get it. Maybe your hand was stamped when you entered?

:popcorn:
Maybe it’ll be ”honor code.” But that’s a whole other bag of worms that we won’t explore here. :eek:

Maybe they’ll just put a pass scanner (if vaccine status is loaded onto it) at the entryway. That would still slow things a bit but not as much, maybe.

I’m thinking that people in management have already thought of the scenarios you describe. It’s not like there hasn’t been months and months of experience to learn from. (High capacity spaces in NYC, such as Broadway theatres). And, I’d hope management thoroughly thinks through the logistics of policy before implementing said policy.

Last edited:

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
…Maybe they’ll just put a pass scanner (if vaccine status is loaded onto it) at the entryway. That would still slow things a bit but not as much, maybe….
I suspect it will be an IT solution similar to what you describe. Load it to your profile before you go skiing.

Last edited:

Sponsor